COuld my computer be too old to use Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bill_steamshovel
Level 2
Level 2

COuld my computer be too old to use Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon

Post by bill_steamshovel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:03 am

inxi -FZXD attached along with a few screenshots.

My wife's brand new laptop has no problems with desktop being too big and all of the text is sharp, clear crisp and tiny yet perfectly legible.

My computer is 10 years old and the TV screen is 6 years old - could that be a significant problem ?

2 issues

1. xorg.config is deleted every time I login, and I have to remap the destop to the screen manually. Whilst this is a nuisance, it is tolerable and when I learn a bit more I should be able to write a script that executes the correction after startup. I note that others have had this problem before me, and also that Linux Mint stopped using xorg.config a few years ago but I need it to keep my desktop mapped correctly to the display screen.

2. text is all too fuzzy - I have to use bold text with ridiculous font size to avoid squinting at the screen. See screenshots attached

Hinting , antialiasing and RGBA order have no effect at all upon text visibility only size and boldness help me to see the text. Yes I have the Microsoft fonts and the Ubuntu restricted extras activated.

This computer is 10 years old and the TV screen is 6 years old - could that be the problem ? Should I stop trying to make this work and just accept the strange font sizes.

And yet ...... winows 10 didnt have these issues and small text was quite legible.

Thanks

Bill
Attachments
FuzzyFonts.png
inxi_text.odt
(19.62 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

bill_steamshovel
Level 2
Level 2

Re: COuld my computer be too old to use Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon

Post by bill_steamshovel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:50 am

Possible workaround is if I zoom in using Firefox zoom function.

Maybe I just have to find the correct view zoom setting in each software package to make the fonts less fuzzy but not too huge.

Bill

Return to “Newbie Questions”