Best Mint 19 version for a touch screen

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ruddy
Level 1
Level 1

Best Mint 19 version for a touch screen

Post by ruddy »

Hi all, I just acquired a Lenovo C-40-05 all-in-one with a touch screen. I installed the 64-bit Cinnamon version, and it works fine but doesn't seem to support touch input other than barely on the bottom panel. I'd like to take advantage of the touch if possible, so which version is the best for that? Thanks.
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Best Mint 19 version for a touch screen

Post by borg101 »

ruddy wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:54 pm
Hi all, I just acquired a Lenovo C-40-05 all-in-one with a touch screen. I installed the 64-bit Cinnamon version, and it works fine but doesn't seem to support touch input other than barely on the bottom panel. I'd like to take advantage of the touch if possible, so which version is the best for that? Thanks.
install touchegg. Also, the Gnome environment is probably the best for touch screens. It is frequently updated, has gnome extensions (seriously....any UI edit you can think of, there are extensions for. Just google "gnome extension for/to/that/etc 'xyz'"). The applications menu scrolls in pages, you can use dock to dash or dash to panel. I don't remember the forum rules on linking videos, but you can search for "gnome best for touch screen" on youtube. That's what I use on all my laptops. I was using it on my desktop (HTPC) until the new cinnamon came out.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

Mint 18.3 works nice with touch screens but 19 is useless - too many irresponsible objects (buttons, menus, etc.).
ruddy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ruddy »

Thank you for the replies. I'll go with Mate 18.3 then. :D
mensfort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mensfort »

All Xorg, inputattach, drivers, systemctl is tried and after 5 days we give up. In Mint 17 this is still working, but not in Mint 19. Therefore I tried Ubuntu and Xubuntu, they have the same problem with any touch screen.
I've tried ELO touch screens. Nothing.
I've tried FEC touch screens, always detected as a mouse.
I've tried eGALAX touch screens, those have probably 90% of the market. Also detected as mouse and Y is inverted so it is shit.

Conclusion:
Touch screen not working but it is not the problem of LinuxMint, it is a problem of Ubuntu or even Debian because the distribution is inherited.
For our customers, we go back to 14.04 because 16.04 also has bugs.... in this way, our company cannot survive!!! Because older versions have bad Wifi support and an ancient Mysql version. I hope Mint will pick up the issue and find a solution soon.

Bonus problem: Configuration of Linux is NOT possible with touch screen, but other software is. So I need to connect a mouse to change the display. Very Annoying!

Return to “Newbie Questions”