Fresh install with additional NTFS drives

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
swangle
Level 1
Level 1

Fresh install with additional NTFS drives

Post by swangle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Hello all,

I have been using Mint (among some other distros) on a VM for some time, but have decided to go all-in :mrgreen: (installing mint as my host OS)

I currently have these drives:
0: OS (Windows)
1: NTFS data
2: NTFS games
3: NTFS stuff

I am fine with cleaning drive 0 and installing mint on it, however, from a historical past experience, I have a fear that the installation process will accidentally format and delete partitions on other drives - so I have these questions:

1. Should I be safe and unplug/bios-disable those drives for the setup? Should I look out for anything specific?
2. Will they just mount fine after mint installation so that I can access files, or should I backup them and commit to ext3/ext4? (also - is there any benefit running ext4 vs ntfs?)

Many thanks!

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Fresh install with additional NTFS drives

Post by michael louwe » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:41 pm

@ swangle, .......
swangle wrote:I am fine with cleaning drive 0 and installing mint on it.
Do you want to single-boot LM or dual-boot LM alongside Windows on Drive0.?

Is your computer UEFI or Legacy BIOS.? Brand, model and specifications.? Or from the Live LM DVD/USB, post the Terminal output for inxi -Fxz and sudo parted -l.

No need to unplug or disconnect the other Drives when installing LM. You just need to be careful not to touch/click on the other Drives or the Windows partitions when using the manual "Something else" install method to install LM.
....... But if you want to take less risk, you can unplug the other Drives. Having backups for your important data and system give more assurance.

After installation, LM can mount the other Drives and access the NTFS files = no need to convert to ext4.

swangle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swangle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:30 pm

Do you want to single-boot LM or dual-boot LM alongside Windows on Drive0.?
I was contemplating dual booting, but realised I have a gaming(work) laptop, so no need for dual boot as I still have a windows machine.

UEFI (asus prime z370-A): 128 Mb Flash ROM, UEFI AMI BIOS.

Sounds good - I started making backups now and will unplug when I install (for paranoia's sake :mrgreen: )

Thank you for the quick response and info!

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:36 am

@ swangle, .......
swangle wrote:.
Your UEFI computer defaults to UEFI install mode but can be manually set to Legacy BIOS install mode in BIOS Setup. Legacy BIOS install mode normally requires MBR/ms-dos disks/drives which are limited to 4 Primary partitions and 2TB in size. UEFI install mode requires GPT disks/drives(= practically no limits), 64bit OS and has the Secure Boot feature.

For UEFI install mode, ensure that Secure Boot and Fast Boot are disabled, and the Live LM DVD/USB is booted in UEFI mode in BIOS Setup. If single-booting LM and using the manual "Something else" install method, an EFI System Partition(= fat32/550MB/mount point is boot/efi) has to be created as the 1st Primary partition and the "Device for boot loader installation" should be this partition or /sda1. No need to do so if using the automatic "Erase disk and install LM" method, ie the LM Installer will auto-create and auto-partition the disk/drive = the EFI System Partition, Root(/) partition and Swap partition/file will be auto-created, and the bootloader auto-installed.
....... More information ... http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ting-media (Creating EFI-Bootable USB Drives)
https://etcher.io/

For Legacy BIOS install mode, an MBR/ms-dos disk should be used. If using the manual "Something else" install method, ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the internal hard-drive or /sda. ... http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)[use as a guide for UEFI mode install]

To change disk/drive mode, eg from GPT to MBR/ms-dos, use the GParted program from the Live LM DVD/USB, ie >Create new partition table >ms-dos >Apply.

Return to “Newbie Questions”