Easiest way to share files between Android phone and Linux Mint XFCE over wifi?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Easiest way to share files between Android phone and Linux Mint XFCE over wifi?

Post by AZgl1800 »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:34 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:19 pm for me, after a lot of messing around, the simplest thing is to do it from the phone with

ASUS File Manager.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ilemanager

no cables needed, just a common WiFi connection.

use it 100s of times a day.
This worked really well. I was able to transfer gigs of data to and fro effortlessly.
Happy that it works for what you need, sometimes, KISS is better.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Easiest way to share files between Android phone and Linux Mint XFCE over wifi?

Post by vishgaur »

I read a lot of replies here and to be honest this forum needs to respect newbees. I returned after reading this post and many other forums. Used ftp in browser. That was awful.
However, I use NEMO file manager in Linux Mint Cinnamon 19. After workaround I found that there is an option of "Connect to the server" in my file explorer itself. On Android I use Cx File explorer (because ES is not safe now).
That and many other file explorers can create an FTP server. Just note down the address that says ftp://192.168.1.1:1234
Where ftp://192.168.1.1 is server and 1234 is the port.
Enter this information in the laptop/pc's file explorer after clicking Connect To Server. And your PC will connect to the device you are using. You can do anything you want. It will just be like transferring data from a USB device. Speed would be like that in WiFi transfers as in ShareIT or any other. There is no need of any third party software or application. Everything would be within reach.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

vishgaur wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:48 pm On Android I use Cx File explorer (because ES is not safe now).
That and many other file explorers can create an FTP server. Just note down the address that says ftp://192.168.1.1:1234
Enter this information in the laptop/pc's file explorer after clicking Connect To Server. And your PC will connect to the device you are using. You can do anything you want. It will just be like transferring data from a USB device. Speed would be like that in WiFi transfers as in ShareIT or any other. There is no need of any third party software or application. Everything would be within reach.
Tnx for this, I had forgotten all about Cx File Explorer, and just now looking it up in Play Store, I see why. I have it on my Galaxy S5 which is just a backup phone now.

tired eyes needed a larger footprint.
my Note 4 is rooted on 4.4.4 and Cx states it won't run on 4.4.4

I purchased ES filer explorer years ago, but IIRC, it has been bought out by a Chinese company putting its' security totally at risk.... I took it off my phone.

guess I need to pull up my big britches and download a newer OS for my rooted phone.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

Many file explorers now have dropped suppirt for older android versions. Simply because the way android used to handle explorers is changed now.

Even most basic UI kind of FE like TOTAL COMMANDER do not support too old android versions. Cx is the thing I find more user friendly than TC/GC and is also a powerful file explorer. Only thing I miss is multiple window tiling and the perfect CLIPBOARD section of ES file explorer to copy/cut multiple files and multiple times and paste whenever/wherever you need to. Multiple window tiles also made cut.copy.paste and exploring files a hell lot easier.
I would have used ES explorer Pro if I had an option to use NoRoot firewall but unfortunately it works on VPN and I have to use AdClear VPN active. Only one vpn works at a time. If in any other manner I could block the internet excess of ES I would have then used it (it was fine with android N, I had option to restrict DATA usage for any app I wanted and also choice of restricting wifi or phone data was there but as android advanced to android O, developers ditched that life saving option.)

I don't UNDERSTAND WHY THE FIREWALL MENU WAS TAKEN OFF IN ANDROID O WHEN IT WAS SO GREAT AND A LIFELINE TO MANY IN ANDROID N.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
prashantsays

Post by prashantsays »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:25 am Whats the easiest way for me to share files between Android phone and Linux Mint 19 XFCE. It should also let my parents use it effortlessly so things like ftp applications etc are out. They are used to using Shareit application to connect to Windows in the past.
i would like to inform that shareit is very shady, better look for alternatives.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:25 am Whats the easiest way for me to share files between Android phone and Linux Mint 19 XFCE.
KDE Connect.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I use ASUS File Manager on the cellphones to a Shared Folder on the Linux pc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ager&hl=en
wiliamdevlin

Post by wiliamdevlin »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:25 am Whats the easiest way for me to share files between Android phone and Linux Mint 19 XFCE. It should also let my parents use it effortlessly so things like ftp applications etc are out. They are used to using Shareit application to connect to Windows in the past.
The easiest way for me is that you should use the shareit application to perform, completely quickly and without much effort, you can search for an address to download, you can also download it at https: / /shareitdownload.net/shareit-for-android/ for your android device
maruch

Post by maruch »

vishgaur wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:48 pm However, I use NEMO file manager in Linux Mint Cinnamon 19. After workaround I found that there is an option of "Connect to the server" in my file explorer itself. On Android I use Cx File explorer (because ES is not safe now).
And that's, my friend, is the perfect solution!
No mess with mtp tools and other usually-not-working tips and tricks.
Basic ftp is enough. Thank you. :D :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”