[SOLVED] Mint 19 Cinnamon: SSD for OS and HDD for storage?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Mint 19 Cinnamon: SSD for OS and HDD for storage?

Post by AZgl1500 »

TJ_Vinny wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:16 pm

I forgot to mention, the SSD is 120 GB and LM is already installed. The entire HDD is still unallocated, fresh out of the box.
As I didn't get far into it at all, I was planning on wiping the SSD through the live session and starting over.

[EDIT] So, the plan for this build is to be a work station for art, music, 3d rendering and animation. I have plans for only using software like: Gimp, Audacity, Krita, Blender, Wings3D, Firefox, the Libre Office Suite,possibly Scribus and probably a couple of others. It would be nice to know how much of these applications would be spread out throughout the system, but if the OS needs around 40gb, then I guess it wouldn't matter much with a 120GB SSD.
I am thinking that how I went about this might help you solidify things, so far there have been some very terrific suggestions on partitioning.

I used the ISO Gparted in advance of the install to set up these partitions. Then used "Something Else" to assign the / and /home and /swap functions..... you will note that this is an SSD and I left almost half of it "unused" initially. For you, liken that sda4 /backup partition to your HDD. When I did the installs, I had install ignore sda4 as "unused"..... the same will go for your HDD. Again, with the first install of 18.3 Cinnamon in Something Else, I left sda4 as unallocated and unformatted. it did not get formatted until after 18.3 Cinnamon was up and running.

My laptop has 500gB SSD and 12gB RAM, and no room for anything else, not even an optical DVD.
I use an extUSB HDD for backups of the alternate OS that is on sda6 ( that OS changes with my moods )
The extUSB HDD is also used for /home backups from time to time.

Note that my initial partition setup allowed way too much room for the OS of Linux, 3 times for 18.3 Cinnamon.
I recognized that and shrunk sda6 down to 20gB and that ended up 4x too much for Xcfe.
But, at first, I installed LM19 on sda6 to play with.... so, it is what it turned out to be.

One last comment: as I have 12gB of RAM, there is no need for /swap so that partition is only 14Mbytes
So, you need to consider how much RAM you will have, and how big those special programs are going to hit the RAM ( video editing )
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
TJ_Vinny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TJ_Vinny »

Alrighty, I believe my setup is just about complete!

I went through the guide I posted earlier, with Mattyboy's suggested command lines for Mint and went ahead and created a 24 GB swap partition on the HDD and successfully moved /home over to the HDD as well.

I backed up, checked and then rechecked the fstab file before adding lines and UUIDs and stuff to it and everything seems to be in place.
Things are booting and showing up normally in the terminal. The new /swap is recognized as 24 GB, I looked at the /home properties and saw that it has 1 TB of free space, as I set it to be.

I still have the temporary directory, "/media/home", that I made when copying the /home over to the new drive as the guide said but it never told me how to get rid of that. What is the command for removing drives?

I want to thank everyone very much for guiding me into getting my computer set up! I definitely would have had no idea where to begin!
The more I tinker with Mint, the more I'm learning and enjoying it. I can't wait to get crackin' with this thing!

Thank you!
I'm going to label this topic as solved, even though I still had a question.
Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy »

TJ_Vinny wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:21 pm

I still have the temporary directory, "/media/home", that I made when copying the /home over to the new drive as the guide said but it never told me how to get rid of that. What is the command for removing drives?

https://www.computerhope.com/unix/urmdir.htm

Anything in root will require the prefix sudo be very careful when modifying and/or removing files/directories in the /root directory.

You might find this helpful https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxcommand/

Released /TLCL/17.10/TLCL-17.10.pdf
Neil Darlow
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 19 Cinnamon: SSD for OS and HDD for storage?

Post by Neil Darlow »

I went simple with my NVMe (SSD) and HDD install as follows:

Code: Select all

/ on HDD as BTRFS
/usr on NVMe as BTRFS
I would have preferred to have /boot on the NVMe (to permit faster loading of the kernel and modules) but the installer wasn't happy with that.

I only put /usr on the NVMe as I am mindful of the write lifetime of these devices and in this configuration it remains mostly read-only (noatime is set on the filesystem) except when updates are applied - which isn't that frequent compared to normal operation.

A significant speed gain is afforded even by this simple setup in having the programs, their libraries and resources on the NVMe. Using BTRFS avoids having a journal on the filesystem and Timeshift compensates for this by generating low-overhead snapshots on the HDD.
Linux Mint 19.3, Intel Core i5 8400 2.8GHz, ASUS Prime Z370-P, Corsair Vengeance 3400 16GB, ASUS Cerberus GTX1050 Ti, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2, Western Digital Blue 4TB, Wircard RealTek 8821ae PCIe Wireless+Bluetooth 4.0, Pioneer BDR-209EBK BDRW.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SaintDanBert »

Neil Darlow wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:19 am
I would have preferred to have /boot on the NVMe (to permit faster loading of the kernel and modules) but the installer wasn't happy with that.

I only put /usr on the NVMe as I am mindful of the write lifetime of these devices and in this configuration it remains mostly read-only (noatime is set on the filesystem) except when updates are applied - which isn't that frequent compared to normal operation.
My fresh, full install, or Mint 19.1 resulted in the following for my default user login:

prompt$  echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
Does it make sense to have /bin and /sbin as well as /usr?
What about /lib and /opt? Aren't these all read-mostly except for new editions of contents?

Since you have an install that boots and runs from the HDD, couldn't you simply clone /boot onto
the SSD and write grub over there?

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan
All government spending, regardless of the motives, uses YOUR money!
Any government extensive enough to give you anything that you want is also
powerful enough to take everything that you have.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SaintDanBert »

Neil Darlow wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:19 am
I went simple with my NVMe (SSD) and HDD install as follows:

/ on HDD as BTRFS
/usr on NVMe as BTRFS
Why did you choose BTRFS -- especially on the SSD? I've read that BTRFS has some issues with SSD write operations. Did you configure your BTRFS in any special way beyond dropping atime[/b] recording?

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan
All government spending, regardless of the motives, uses YOUR money!
Any government extensive enough to give you anything that you want is also
powerful enough to take everything that you have.
Neil Darlow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Neil Darlow »

Hi Dan,
SaintDanBert wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:09 pm
Why did you choose BTRFS -- especially on the SSD? I've read that BTRFS has some issues with SSD write operations. Did you configure your BTRFS in any special way beyond dropping atime[/b] recording?

I chose BTRFS for its support of native snapshots and I use Timeshift to manage those snapshots. The use of the "relatime" mount option is fairly standard with most Linux filesystems so nothing special required there.

I'm not aware of any issues with SSD writes and BTRFS and I've not noticed any problems in operation - the machine is operating very well. I chose only to put /usr on SSD because that's where the bulk of applications, libraries and resources reside. The likes of /bin, /sbin and /lib are used during boot and for critical services but otherwise form a small amount of overall usage.

Regards,
Neil
Linux Mint 19.3, Intel Core i5 8400 2.8GHz, ASUS Prime Z370-P, Corsair Vengeance 3400 16GB, ASUS Cerberus GTX1050 Ti, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2, Western Digital Blue 4TB, Wircard RealTek 8821ae PCIe Wireless+Bluetooth 4.0, Pioneer BDR-209EBK BDRW.

Return to “Newbie Questions”