Professional Users on Mint?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
droush53
Level 1
Level 1

Professional Users on Mint?

Post by droush53 »

I recently deleted my Windows 10 VM and replaced it with Linux Mint Cinnamon. I have high hopes that this version of Linux will be my one and only desktop OS in the near future. I am a professional developer and consultant and really need a "tight" OS, one that is not quirky and unresponsive. Mint is a huge improvement over other flavors of Ubuntu I've tried in the past, but it is still flaky. The mouse in is unresponsive many times and clicking on icons suffers delays almost always. I have 4 gig and 2 CPU's dedicated to the MINT VM. The same I have for Windows 7. Mint is no Windows 7. I also tried various versions of "office products" on Mint. WPS is the best fit for a power Office-on-Windows user like myself. All the Linux office products fall way short of anything usable for a professional. I can't even get it to successfully load a simulator worksheet I developed in Excel. Pivot tables don't work correctly either.

Anyway, if anyone thinks I'm crazy and missing the obvious, let me know. Otherwise I'll keep my eye on new Mint releases in the hope that it catches up to a true, responsive and professional desktop OS someday soon.

Thanks, Dave
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Professional Users on Mint?

Post by JoeFootball »

droush53 wrote:The mouse in is unresponsive many times and clicking on icons suffers delays almost always.
I have LM 18.3 Cinnamon on several PCs, and don't encounter this behavior. That said, I'm not running any of them in a VM.
droush53 wrote:All the Linux office products fall way short of anything usable for a professional.
I rarely use any "office" software professionally or personally, so I wouldn't be able to speak to that.
droush53 wrote:Anyway, if anyone thinks I'm crazy and missing the obvious, let me know.
Just wanted to recommend a try of a natively installed LM 18.3 Cinnamon.

Joe
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

"The mouse in is unresponsive many times and clicking on icons suffers delays almost always."

this could be a graphic card issue are you using nVidia Card by chance? If so do the following

open terminal and copy paste the below

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

then push enter and select yes to add

sudo apt-get update

then push enter wait for it to update then close the terminal

Then go to your Driver Manager and update to the latest drivers
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Sounds like OP forgot to enable graphics acceleration for his VM tbh - Cinnamon needs it. But if he relies on his existing Excel worksheets with - I assume - VBA scripting, which is not compatible - and does not want to rewrite them for another software then it's a moot point, anyway.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

power Office-on-Windows user like myself
Don't bother with libre office, etc. Either:
  • Fork out the money, buy crossover and install office - I use office 2013 (excel and word) this way, or...
  • Install virtualbox and run windows in that with office. I run win7 in VB with office 2016.
I've been a 'power user' of excel for over 30 years and wouldn't consider changing, but my main OS is mint!!
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

Admittedly I have no idea what a "professional developer and consultant" does or how one uses their PC. However my wife is a professional at genealogical research and my sister is a history professor and both use Mint Cinnamon exclusively. I know they both have found a few quirks going between MS Office and Libre Office but then again I don't know how they actually use them compared to the OP. I do know my wife had to re-write some Excel macros for Libre Office and went though a short learning curve moving from MS Office to Libre Office - but wouldn't that be expected. They both would testify that the stability and performance moving from Windows to Linux was worth the effort not to mention the security (which they never seem to consider). Pretty much the same story with my sister, although her issues seemed to be minor formatting problems moving from MS Word to Writer.

Personally I have never found running anything on VM - and I even had WorkStation, the non-free version - to run as well as running natively, to include having issues that just did not exist when running native linux programs on bare metal.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

Problem is, the rest of the business world is wedded to excel. You use what your customers use/expect, particularly if your output is a deliverable! I found that performance on my T430 running win7 and excel in VB was comparable to my company laptop running it native. Admittedly, I'd pimped up my T430 replacing the i5 with a quad core i7 and installing 16G RAM :)
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi droush53,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

Professional developer and consultant of what?

+1 for installing Linux Mint natively rather than as a virtual machine through Virtualbox or vmware.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information. 4gb of system memory ram is not much for a power user, so if you can add more, do so.

I am sure that there are many professionals using Linux and Linux Mint and Linux Office options. Anyone can use MS Office online or Office 365 through their browsers in Linux or any other OS, if need be.

LibreOffice is great, especially if you use their PPA to keep it updated, and there are many LibreOffice add-ons and extra packages in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

WPS, OnlyOffice, etc... are also supposed to be very good.

Have you tried Abiword and or Calligra, "gnumeric" spreadsheet app and all of its recommended and suggest packages in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)"? Search for "spreadsheet" in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" to see many options...

Google Docs and all of its various office options can usually handle most MS Office files.

There are many posts on MS Office and Linux in this forum. You can even install some versions of MS Office in Linux with "Wine" without using virtualbox or vmware.

Tip: Install MS fonts and any other fonts that you used in any MS Windows applications to avoid formatting issues. If you used "laTex", install those packages as well.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

AndyMH wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:46 pm
Problem is, the rest of the business world is wedded to excel. You use what your customers use/expect, particularly if your output is a deliverable!
+1 THAT is the ONLY valid reason for not migrating to Open Office. For years I avoided the alternate Office Products because of incompatibilities with the M$ product. Now that I have more time, I have migrated just about everything over. HOWEVER...... if I were dealing with the "outside" world I would still use the M$ product because, even though Open Office and their ilk all can save in the M$ format, the moment that you include any automation, you are playing Russian Roulette.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Sometimes compatibility issues will just require that you use windows. That hardly makes Linux "unprofessional". Maybe just not suitable for your use case. Linux is heavily used in many high profile professional environments. Such as 3d graphics.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I'm a "Professional" and I use Linux Mint every day - both at home and at my office and have been doing so since 2011. Does EVERYTHING I need and is very well behaved. I have little need for any other OS. I use windoze about once or twice a year to update the maps in my & my wife's GPS units. My wife (another professional) runs only Linux Mint at home. At the office, she uses whatever her employer decides. Her gaming machine is a windoze only machine out of necessity.

For my office suite needs, I use the stock Libre Office and it does everything I ask of it. My word processing needs are mundane - I don't to desktop publishing. My spreadsheet needs are mundane as well - no exotic calculations or presentations/graphs/charts.

I have had no compatibility issues due in large part to wise hardware selection prior to installing Mint. My mouse works just fine and I experience no lags. I never run any production OS in a VM. In my limited experience they are prone to various problems.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
droush53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by droush53 »

Thanks to everyone for their insight and perspective. I am running Windows 7 and Mint in separate VM's using Parallels on a Macbook Pro. I will look into getting a separate machine just for Mint to see if it behaves better. As far as office goes, I am a consultant and frequently have to deliver complex Excel deliverables to my clients, so I'll keep Windows 7 and Office 2016 around for that. Btw, I love Mint, so don't get me wrong. My use case is just a bit different from others. Thanks again.
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

droush53 wrote:I will look into getting a separate machine just for Mint to see if it behaves better.
I think you'll find it will. I wouldn't be using it if it demonstrated the behavior you saw, and I think many others would agree. :)

At this point in time, I recommend LM 18.3 Cinnamon (or a lighter desktop if the "new" computer warrants it). It's still supported until April 2021, after which time the 19.x branch will have matured to equaled stability.

Joe
cowwarrior
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cowwarrior »

im in the CG industry and only recently moved to Linux mint from windows.
i find Linux mint to be everybit as responsive as a original clean windows if not better.
or maybe i just had the infested zombie windows for too long, i dont know.

i wouldnt expect a system with heavy calculation to run smoothly under Virtual modes..
i would say its a good idea to run VM to see what runs and if things work at all,
as for performance why not try a real install?

i've worked at big companies that uses windows, if you have IT guys who can keep
the windows clean and optimized, the windows would probly run well.
the thing is for personal use, especially what Microsfot has done recently,
i dont think the windows would last a year.
I had Paid anti-virus installed and got paralysed by HDD activity,
imagine if that happens a day before something important is due.

i know Linux is troublesome to set up, but if you can get it to work, its 100 times more reliable than windows.
or if you have too much cash and wanna pay everything double the price, you can buy a mac..
jpenguin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jpenguin »

I don't do much office work either, but have you tried Softmaker? Libreoffice works for my personal needs, but I use Office 365 online at work. You probably could run MS Office in crossover also
For real hardware, I might suggest zareason, system76 or compulab

Return to “Newbie Questions”