hplip and mint 19

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
timerepairs
Level 1
Level 1

hplip and mint 19

Post by timerepairs »

hello, well i made it after many years frustration with the many editions of windows i migrated to Linux mint. have dipped toes in the water before but never done the complete switch as i have now. been at it a wile now and all in all I find Linux just the job, well done to all who make this possible which leads me to my question.
I have an hp envy 5530 all in one printer that i connect to over my home network wireless. mint picks it up no problem and prints fine. However the scanner is nowhere to be found. I found hplip in the repository and put it in and in the installation connected the printer to the pc via USB, chose the wireless option and all seemed to install but the installation stops after the part where the printer connects to the network. basically the printer will work fine with the scanner wired with usb but the scanner wont work over the network as the hplip doesn't seem to complete the install. would like to be able to use the scanner on the network in the same way as the printer but it just doesn't detect it. can anyone possibly help out a poor windows slave who has broken free......all the best timerepairs
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: hplip and mint 19

Post by Lord Boltar »

IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing
srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Post by srq2625 »

Here's what I have to do to get my scanner working:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xsane hplip-gui hplip
hp-setup
hp-plugin
I don't know if you'll need the first three commands - but that's where I start. I include the installation of xsane - just to be sure that I have it and to be sure that I have all the scanner dependencies installed.

The hplip-gui is needed for the last command and the last command is the one that will install the necessary S/W for the scanner.
timerepairs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timerepairs »

OK mate followed all that and the scanner just burst into life. All wireless on the network printer fine scanner fine. many thanks indeed. it will be some time before I fully master the terminal side of things but getting the basics. does anyone know of a program that will clean up whats left of deleted items or uninstalled programs or am i still thinking windows here.......for example do you need to defrag linux i have heard not but something to tidy it up could be useful perhaps.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

this will tidy things up nicely including leftovers from deleted kernels...and because the way linux is laid into the HDD, defrag is NOT necessary...there is a command to do so but really you wont ever need it...DAMIEN

do these one at a time, dont worry if the first dpkg -l says error etc...just means nothing is there is all...

sudo apt autoremove

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | sudo xargs dpkg --purge

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs sudo apt-get purge

dont forget to reboot.
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
timerepairs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timerepairs »

thats perfect many thanks,really helpful
timerepairs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timerepairs »

finally is there a way to password a folder containing files that are confidential. there are ways in windows but its so easily broken its laughable, Im hoping linux can win again here?
srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Post by srq2625 »

timerepairs wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:33 am
finally is there a way to password a folder containing files that are confidential. there are ways in windows but its so easily broken its laughable, Im hoping linux can win again here?
To mitigate that risk, one could encrypt the folder. Here are a couple of alternative methods (Disclaimer: I've not tried either of these, YMMV):
timerepairs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timerepairs »

many thanks all I need to know will get encrypting......thanks guys for all your help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”