Need help installing a package with .tar extention

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Balden1611
Level 1
Level 1

Need help installing a package with .tar extention

Post by Balden1611 »

I'm recently returning to Linux Mint. And I need help installing a .tar file it's literally just a .tar file not any other variant of the file type. and I need to install a program from my downloads folder. I have searched for 2 days trying to find an answer
turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Need help installing a package with .tar extention

Post by turtlebay »

Try searching for the name of the file using the suffix .deb
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Balden1611 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:09 pm
I'm recently returning to Linux Mint. And I need help installing a .tar file it's literally just a .tar file not any other variant of the file type. and I need to install a program from my downloads folder. I have searched for 2 days trying to find an answer
A tar file is not a package you can install. Open the .tar file, see what's in it, maybe you hid a package inside. ;)

No but seriously, if you told people what you want to install and what environment you are on (Mint version) I'm sure someone could help you out.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi Balden1611,

Welcome back to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Need much more information, like what is the name of the software that is packaged as a "tar" archive? You may just be able to right-click it and extract here and run the application's startup program from within that folder.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

A tar file is similar to a zip archive you have to extract the contents and either you have to build the contents using build essential or cmake also look to see if it has an install.sh file or a deb file once extracted - it would help if you give the name of the tar file
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing
stormryder
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stormryder »

Once you extract the files (I think most file managers have a right-click dropdown option to extract tars) there should be a readme inside, read it. If the software is well designed there will be instructions that tell you how to go about compiling the software if needed.
Often compiling is not needed, for instance blender can simply be downloaded, extracted and run from any location. There is an executable file named "blender" that will start the program, you can create a custom launcher and point it to this file. Sometimes its a pain to get these into the menu, I always just stick them on the desktop or on the panel/taskbar.

I'd stay away from drivers and that kind of stuff. The system is pretty well locked down unless you got years of linux experience. At one time I could compile the fglrx driver from AMD for an AMD GPU but I haven't been able to do so successfully since mint 14.

I still prefer to install some of my software this way so I know it hasn't been tampered with, I prefer to get it directly from the people who wrote it if possible.

Return to “Newbie Questions”