point of focus jumps randomly

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

point of focus jumps randomly

Post by Helmut »

Hi folks, am running Mint 19 MATE 32Bit on a netbook with an Intel Atom CPU. All unnecessary frills (eg. Compiz) turned off.
Why netbook? Because I dont want a tablet or to trust private or personal data to a data-dealership-giant like you-know-whoogle which I would be doing with a tablet, because I prefer a keyboard, dont want to be wiping over countless lookalike and meaningless icons, and want to take it with me.

The problem:
If a text document, stock exchange software, or whatever is open, the point of focus will suddenly jump to another place, and keyboard or other input manipulates the wrong entries at wrong places. This can happend a few times while trying to type a single page.
Example: A text document, a click somewhere in the text to add or correct something. I start writing, and while I am at it, suddenly the point of focus jumps to a random place. The keyboard entries are then no longer put into the sentence I'm writing, but into some random other place where it doesn't belong.
Another example: With trader work station (stock market) open, I want to buy or sell a certain number of certain stock. While I am doing correct input, the point of focus suddenly changes, and I have accidentally and legally binding bought a few hundred of a wrong stock. Most annoying and also can be quite costly.

I'm not sure if this is a Mint problem, or rather the weak CPU being overloaded, or whatever else. Maybe I should just throw the otherwise working netbook out of the window, but what to replace it with... Btw, while writing this, it happened multiple times.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Re: point of focus jumps randomly

Post by borg101 »

This may sound dumb, but it sounds like a stuck key or busted touch screen. I also found a bug on Github for Mint 17.3. Check it out here... https://github.com/mate-desktop/marco/issues/251
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

Good idea!
But unfortunately thats not the case...
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Hello Helmut
you have also tried older versions of Mint Mate e.g. 17.3 or 18.3?
My 2009 Acer netbook (Atom N270) still runs quite well with Mint Mate 18.3 - at least better than it ever did with the limited Windows 7.
However, upgraded from 1 GB to 2 GB RAM...

Return to “Beginner Questions”