asus laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mintjet
Level 1
Level 1

asus laptop

Post by mintjet » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:08 am

Hello

Very new to linux and was wondering what asus are like these days with linux?

I am looking at this machine, does anyone know if it will work out of the box or with little hassle?

https://www.centrecom.com.au/asus-x507u ... aptop-grey

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: asus laptop

Post by Moem » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:12 am

I see no reason why that shouldn't work, but I would not buy it from that seller. It seems they cannot make up their mind about whether the CPU is i5 or i7.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

mintjet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintjet » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:17 am

It is an i5

I have been using this selling company for many years, and have confirmed it as an i5.

I have read people are having problems with 8th gen cpu on mint 18.3 and in worried about drivers because everyone seems to say asus are bad for linux.

WiltshireJon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WiltshireJon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:41 am

I've installed mint 17.x and (later) 18.3 on both an Asus K52F (core i3) and also on a UX360UA (Zenbook flip, i5 skylake). No problems installing or getting them to work. The Zenbook has a hi res touch screen and is a 2-in-1, and runs like clockwork (fast clockwork), including the touch screen, screen rotation etc. Neither have nvidia graphics.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:02 am

mintjet wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:08 am
Very new to linux and was wondering what asus are like these days with linux?
Their UEFI does something weird with the touchpad on a number of their devices which can lead to incompatibility. Mine was working fine until I updated the UEFI -- all ASUS support has to say is that they don't care even though the thing came pre-installed with Linux (ElementaryOS), so all I got to say is that I would not buy from them again. Maybe google a bit if it affects yours.

Otherwise no problems.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:13 am

ASUS ROG G73JH gaming laptop runs like a top with 18.3 Cinnamon :shock:

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:51 am

mintjet wrote:.
Your Asus should be a 7th-gen Intel Kabylake processor = should install LM 19 = newer Linux kernel 4.15 = better support for new hardware.

Certain OEM Win 8.x/10 laptops, eg Acer, Asus and HP, have an obstructive or pro-M$ BIOS Setup setting for "select an UEFI file as trusted for executing",(= Live Linux USB or Linux cannot boot). For the fix(= need to first set BIOS Supervisory password ...), please refer to ...
https://community.acer.com/en/discussio ... 15-51-78c6
https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
viewtopic.php?t=236560

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:29 pm

2 weeks ago I resurrected an X507E that had a wiped HDD from a Windows crash. The tech before could not get pass the EUFI Bios setup to load and operate LM 18.3. It took a dozen try's before I finally got EUFI turned off and Fast Boot off, and Legacy on so :mrgreen: the bios would accept a valid "Live" boot for LM 18.3 Cinnamon 64. I then loaded 19.0 Cinnamon 64. I handed the laptop to the new owner who is a corporate IT with a retail firm. He works with windows on the corporate machines but uses the new Asus for his own useage. He likes the LM 19 much better with a straight install thanthe Windows. It does what he wants instead of what MS wants without going to the MS store for everything. :D

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:46 pm

I have an ASUS TP500L flipbook, it was setup with the M$ uefi and I had to turn that thing off.

I have installed many versions of Mint on it since, it now boots up as an old style BIOS or uefi

but, the thing is now 4 years old.

I like the ASUS thin mint styling, much lighter than my Dells and old Toshiba.

just looked at the specs on that one, and it is almost a clone of my laptop, except mine is i3

Return to “Newbie Questions”