Difficulty testing new kernel

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mjh_op
Level 1
Level 1

Difficulty testing new kernel

Post by mjh_op »

The trackpad on my new PC is not recognised by the kernel. Canonical have asked if I can test 4.18 to see if it is resolved there.
Q1 Is this possible under LM19 Cinnamon?
Q2 Assuming it is possible... One of the three kernel files fails to install because of the Nvidia drivers. How can I safely adjust things so that I can install the final kernel file without damaging my current setup?
Q3 When is 4.18 likely to land in Linux Mint?

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Difficulty testing new kernel

Post by Mattyboy »

Unknown when the newer Kernels will land.

As to 'safely' you can't. Only when the update manager offers a Kernel update can it be considered safe.

You can try and I'd do it by purging Nvidia drivers, rebooting then trying the newer Kernel. ( Remember you can just boot back to the older one if something breaks ) Then see if the driver manager offers a revised version of Nvidia.

This is stepping into dangerous 'tinkering mode' so before you do anything make sure you have timeshift and file backup's in place and you understand how to boot from a selected Kernel.

Its likely you will have to wait until stable versions of the updates are released in Mint... but you'll only know by trying.

A better solution may be to install an Arch based system like Manjaro which offers more bleeding edge solutions.

jpenguin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jpenguin »

running an AMD optimized 4.18.0rc5 here, has ubuntu patches. Very stable

https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries

mjh_op
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mjh_op »

Thanks for both inputs. Regret this seems beyond my safe skill level just at the moment...

Return to “Newbie Questions”