[Solved] 32 GB SSD enough?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aily

[Solved] 32 GB SSD enough?

Post by Aily »

Hello,

I'm looking to eventually buy a laptop, if I can afford one. The cheapest, that I can find though, only have 32 GB SSD and 2 RAM. Is that even viable? Will it have enough space to even make surfing the net without trouble possible?

How much space will be needed to use it without it slowing down?

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: 32 GB SSD enough?

Post by Pjotr »

It's fine (I have one of those machines, too). I do advise the lightweight Xfce edition of Mint 19, though:
http://mintmirror.math.washington.edu/l ... bit-v2.iso
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
afineman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Solved] 32 GB SSD enough?

Post by afineman »

Pjotr

I am currently running Mint 19 Cinnamon on this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6856501024
It runs very well and no screen tearing when on Netflix or Amazon, after installation I had over 12 Gig remaining.
A 32 gig hard drive is more than enough so don't worry.

AFM
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Ally
Ally wrote:.
If I were you, budget permitting, I would avoid buying such cheap 32GB-drive netbooks. These are 32GB eMMC flash-drive storage(= not SSD) which are soldered onto the motherboard = cannot be replaced after failure = got to buy a new computer = Planned Obsolescence.

A few such models are not easy to install LM, especially those that come with Intel Atom Cherry Trail processors. Eg install workarounds ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=256446 and viewtopic.php?f=46&t=274375

or install in Legacy BIOS mode ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=258959

Stick to new budget laptops with removable 500GB HDD or 128GB SSD.
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

By any chance, are refurb/preowned laptops from ebay an option for you? You can get some good deals on corporate off-lease ThinkPads.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

+1 on thinkpads
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”