$200 Laptop @ Best Buy - Will it work with Mint??

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Re: $200 Laptop @ Best Buy - Will it work with Mint??

Post by whm1974 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:12 am

svejorange wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:50 am
Where can I find more information on the subject?
There is this website:
https://linux-laptop.net/

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:38 pm

This is the best place I've found on the web for Thinkpad info:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:41 pm

So blindly following the sage advice of @AndyMH - I bit the bullet and bought this crapshoot instead for $245:

* Lenovo Thinkpad T430 Refurbished/Certified, i5-3320m (2.60 GHz, 3MB L3, 1600MHz FSB), Integrated Intel HD Graphics, 8GB SoDIMM DDR3 SDRAM, 128GB SSD, 14" 1366x768HD Anti-Glare Display, DVD/RW, WiFi, Mini-DisplayPort w/Audio, VGA, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, 3.5mm HP/MIC, SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC Slot, 720p WebCam, Backlit Keyboard, Express Card 34mm, 6 Cell 2.6 Ah Battery, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

I also bought a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI dongle to go with the laptop. It was $9 bucks. Fingers crossed - it'll work.

The monstrosity is supposed to be delivered next Thursday (two days), but where I live 2-Day delivery promises are not temporally reliable.

I'm concerned about the SSD that lives in the machine. Not only is it old, I read somewhere the mSATA port on the T430 is SATA-II but there is mention of a SATA port that's rated SATA-III (twice as fast I think?). I dunno.
I don't think you will be disappointed, the only downside you've alluded to above, is that this is not a lightweight laptop, but welcome to the club!

As soon as you get it check that the BIOS is not locked - hit enter on the startup screen. If it is send it back (I'd be surprised if it was, none of the thinkpads I've bought were locked).

From the spec, I think your SSD will be in the HDD slot not mSATA. I wouldn't change it for its age, you can get away with 128G, but might be more comfortable with 256G (I only upgraded to 500G cos I wanted to play around with more distros in VMs). You can certainly live with 128G. If you change the SSD make sure that you get one that is 7mm thick, some are 9mm and won't fit. Yes the displayport to HMDI will work, it's what I use. Sounds like you may have an SD expresscard in the slot - useful.

Most of the time mine is hooked up to an ultrawide monitor and permanently plugged into the mains. If similar, might like to think about a docking station, you can get them for about £10/$15 off ebay. Again off ebay you can get a modem that plugs into the mSATA/PCI slot if you want mobile broadband, about $20.

Installing mint - it works out of the box, suggest you choose "something else" to create separate partitions for root and /home. Obviously wipe win10 (I run win7 in virtualbox for my excel/word needs). You can dual boot but will need to seek advice here - I dual booted my T410, but have no experience with win10 - might be more difficult if installed with UEFI.

You've already downloaded the h/w maintenance manual, you're good to go :D
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Moem » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:44 pm

KBD47 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:38 pm
This is the best place I've found on the web for Thinkpad info:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/
Thinkwiki is pretty great.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

rui no onna
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rui no onna » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:00 pm

AndyMH wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:41 pm
From the spec, I think your SSD will be in the HDD slot not mSATA. I wouldn't change it for its age, you can get away with 128G, but might be more comfortable with 256G (I only upgraded to 500G cos I wanted to play around with more distros in VMs). You can certainly live with 128G. If you change the SSD make sure that you get one that is 7mm thick, some are 9mm and won't fit.
Difference between 256GB and 512GB nowadays is just $20-30. For that small a premium, I think it's worth it to go with the larger drive.

377Ohms
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 377Ohms » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:53 am

@AndyMH, Thanks for the additional information. It really helps.

My T430 should arrive today or tomorrow. I have already ordered an ultrabay to 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD adapter and a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter dongle. The links to those two parts are posted here in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=275056#p1509064

I've prepared a live USB with Mint 19 Cinnamon for installation on the T430. But when testing the Mint 19 live USB on a different machine I ran into a problem with Mint itself that prevents me from logging into my local WiFi provider. I'll make a new post about that problem, it's not related to the T430.

If you don't mind, I have a few T430 questions for you...

Q1. Batteries?

I see third-party replacement batteries for the T-series machines (including the T430) on Amazon and Ebay. But elsewhere I see where people struggle hacking the BIOS to get non-"real" Lenovo batteries to work with the T430 and later machines. They supposedly have to hack the Lenovo battery "White List". What's up with that? Do you know of a trustworthy place to buy a replacement battery that just works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Here's a video about a T430 BIOS battery white-list hack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWZlktXFNJk

Q2. CTRL Key Problem?

I've read in a few Web threads that there's something wrong with the T430 keyboard that requires a BIOS hack (or at-least a BIOS setting change)? I think it has something to do with the Ctrl-Key being in the wrong position?. I'm really not clear on this one.

Q3. Upgrading WiFi?

What's the deal with upgrading the WiFi to AC? Supposedly BIOS hacks are involved again. I suspect there is a half Mini-PCIe slot or some-such on the motherboard for a replaceable radio module that has a pair of MCX antenna connectors. So that part should be easy.

377Ohms
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 377Ohms » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:57 am

@KBD47, Thanks for the reddit link. It seems pretty active.

@Moem, Thanks for the link. I took a look at Thinkwiki. Lots of good info. The T430 specifications alone are more detailed than on the original Lenovo T430 page.

rui no onna
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rui no onna » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:25 am

Unless you need 802.11ac, I wouldn't bother with a BIOS hack just for wifi. Just in case yours come with a Broadcom adapter (sometimes problematic), you can buy whitelisted Intel wifi adapters for cheap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-Le ... 2892181515

As for Ctrl, you can see an image here:
http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/switch-m ... -ctrl-keys

If you prefer Ctrl as the bottom left-most key, swapping it with the Fn key is a simple BIOS setting. No hacking required.

377Ohms
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 377Ohms » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:24 am

@rui no onna,

Yes, I would like to upgrade the WiFi to AC. Looking around, it seems a WiFi upgrade also needs a whitelist BIOS hack. That's not good.

Heck I wonder how they get these BIOS hacks to work in the first place? I thought these "Trusted" computers were supposed to use tamper-proof signed firmware which plays against a hardware Trusted Platform Module (TPM) thingy - or has that been hacked too?

Thanks for the Ctrl-key info. The fix, if needed is easy.

rui no onna
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rui no onna » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:32 am

377Ohms wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:24 am
Heck I wonder how they get these BIOS hacks to work in the first place? I thought these "Trusted" computers were supposed to use tamper-proof signed firmware which plays against a hardware Trusted Platform Module (TPM) thingy - or has that been hacked too?
Hardware flashing:

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread- ... 1#pid74571

377Ohms
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 377Ohms » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:50 am

rui no onna wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:32 am
377Ohms wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:24 am
Hardware flashing:

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread- ... 1#pid74571
Hmmm.... Well so much for the tamper-proof claim.

377Ohms
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 377Ohms » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:48 am

Howdy,

1. The refurbished T430 arrived this evening. It was really well packaged in an inflated pillow thing that was inside an inner box then an outer box. The laptop looks like it is brand new from the outside. After an hour or two of playing with the machine (during which most of the time was spent trying to kill-off Cortana and beating down Micro$oft spyware), I am pleased to report that everything basic seems to function as expected (I need to try the wired Ethernet, Bluetooth and the WebCam).

I tried to embed an image in this post of the T430 hosted at Imgur.com, but the Mint Forum complained with: "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct." The FAQ doesn't help. Anyway here's a direct link to the picture:

https://imgur.com/yUuOJS3

2. The display is 1600x900 anti-glare driven by an NVIDIA NVS 5400M, not a 1366x768 anti-glare panel driven by the integrated Intel UHD GPU as advertised. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending how the NVIDIA drivers play in Linux. We'll see.

3. Windows-10 Pro came with what looks like an authentic license key sticker on the bottom of the laptop for activation. The sticker says: "WINDOWS 10 PRO FOR REFURB PCS QUALITY CERTIFIED". Part of the key is still covered up by a scratch-off mask. Yeah right, we'll eventually see if it's genuine. I didn't activate it yet.

4. The 9-Cell 70++ battery that came with the machine has a July 2012 date-code and looks original. Win10 reported the battery as 3/4 full out of the box with about 4:30 left on it. That tracked time-wise while I used the machine on battery. Now the battery is charging and that seems to be going OK too. Here is a picture of the battery with the nameplate:

https://imgur.com/Y1eX8NH

5. The boot drive reports as a Samsung PM830 2.5" 7mm 128GB SSD, not an mSATA drive. That Samsung SSD is coming out right away. I have a spare 2.5" 1TB 5400RPM Maxtor HDD hiding around here somewhere that I'm pretty sure is 7mm high. I'll try to stick that in for now just to try a clean Mint-19 install. That will preserve the 128GB SSD with Windows-10 on it.

6. QUESTION: I just noticed what looks like a uSD card sticking out from the battery compartment. It has a blue label sticking out of the card slot. What is this uSD card for? What is the blue label for? Here's a picture of the card still in the slot:

https://imgur.com/dhehoLv

This is fun, so far... :D

rui no onna
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rui no onna » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:12 am

377Ohms wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:48 am
6. QUESTION: I just noticed what looks like a uSD card sticking out from the battery compartment. It has a blue label sticking out of the card slot. What is this uSD card for? What is the blue label for? Here's a picture of the card still in the slot:

https://imgur.com/dhehoLv

This is fun, so far... :D
Hmm, might that be SIM card and not uSD? Glad you're enjoying yourself. :D

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:18 am

That is the SIM card slot and is the reason I'm able to talk at the moment - on holiday, no wifi so having to use a £10 pay as you go SIM to get mobile broadband. The slot has a plastic sleeve it in so that you can get the SIM out easily. On your earlier question on batteries - can't answer, know I've bought a battery for either my T430 or T410 but can't find any record - so not ebay or amazon. I do know it wasn't a lenovo battery cos they were too expensive, not had any problems.

You've got lucky getting a T430 with the 1600x900 display (it was an option), the 1366x768 is perfectly useable but the higher res is better. Even luckier with the nVidia, the vast majority come with the embedded intel graphics. You will get better graphics performance, but don't know if it will give you any problems with mint (mine's the bog standard intel graphics).

When you get an SSD you might want to consider getting a caddy for the ultrabay and putting your 1TB HDD in that. This is what I've done and use the HDD as a backup drive. This is what I got, think it was about £12:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I think the spec you've got for the price is outstanding, I'd have had to pay more for the same here in the UK.

Now, 8G RAM is perfectly acceptable and you've probably got 2x4G which will give better performance (dual channel), but if you think about upgrading to 16G will make it more expensive cos you will need to replace both 4G sticks. RAM on the T430 - two slots, one easy to get at (two screws on panel underneath), it's also where your mSATA slot is. The other - you have to remove the keyboard, reasonably straightforward.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

377Ohms
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 377Ohms » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:02 am

Well, the NVIDIA Adventure begins for me... Here's a separate post about my feeble efforts so far:

"T430 ThinkPad laptop - Is the NVIDIA GPU working with Mint-19 by default?"

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=275339#p1510090

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to NVIDIA hardware in Linux. I've avoided NVIDIA like the Plague in the past when on Linux.

377Ohms
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 377Ohms » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:49 am

@rui no onna, & @AndyMH, thanks for sticking with me through all this...

So there's a mysterious cellular SIM card infesting my "New" refurb T430? What the heck is that doing in there? Maybe the "Certified Refurbishers" forgot to pull it out? I hope so; because the alternative is they left it in there on purpose... Yikes!

I mentioned previously I bought an Ultrabay caddy along with the T430. It seems there are a lot of caddies available over a broad range of prices from around $7 through $30 USD. The one I bought via Amazon at $17 USD is by no means cheapest, but it has lots of reviews and most are favorable. Here's the link again:

- Nimitz 2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy for Lenovo Thinkpad T420 T430 T510... $16.98:

https://www.amazon.com/Nimitz-Drive-Cad ... 00NAMU8NO/

I haven't opened the caddy's blister-pack yet, but from the outside it looks like a half-way decent piece of hardware. The English Grammar on the package is correct - always a good sign.

As for the SDRAM: I've suffered through a few YouTube videos about upgrading SDRAM in the T430. I'm not sure what I have other than the machine reports 8GB. It looks like there is only one DIMM slot, but as you mentioned there's probably another slot underneath that requires much more work to access. Here's a picture of what's under the door on the bottom of my laptop:

https://imgur.com/a/r0J8zqH

What do you think?

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:00 am

From your piccies, take out the SIM - gently pull on the blue tab. No point having it in there as you don't have a WWAN card which I can see from the pic showing the first DIMM slot underneath. BUT you do have the cables for the antenna - that's the blue and brown cable below the RAM. So if you want to add mobile capability later all you need to do is buy a card (off ebay, think mine was £15) and get a SIM.

Getting at the second DIMM slot is not as easy as the first, but straightforward. Having removed the cover underneath to get at the first DIMM slot, there are two screws to remove (holding the keyboard in place), keyboard then slides forward and comes out (careful, there is a ribbon cable attached), lo and behold, there is the second DIMM slot. You have the hardware ref manual, all the info you need is in there.

I've had no problems upgrading RAM on two T430's. In both cases (2x4G to 2x8G and 2x2G to 2x4G) used crucial off amazon.

You might be interested in this, only recently found it myself:

https://medium.com/@n4ru/the-definitive ... ff3f6a8e2e

I upgraded the i5-3320M to an i7-3632QM (second hand cost me about £80 on ebay). Don't have thermal problems.

Think he is being a bit hard on the display, quite happy with mine (1600x900).

Good luck with the nVidia - let me know how you get on with it and mint.

377Ohms
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 377Ohms » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:32 am

Hello Again, Some news...

Turns out Page-96 of the T430 User's Guide says: "...a dummy card is installed in the SIM card slot". I'll keep an eye out for a cellular data module, but it's not high on my priority list. I have a little stand-alone GSM/LTE hotspot and my regular smartphone can work as a hotspot too if need be. Anyway, if the available data modules are original they may be GSM/2G limited, and 2G is not only slow it is being phased out in many countries. (I thing T-Mobile is the only U.S. carrier left that still officially supports 2G data, and then only in select markets.)

So taking the memory from 8GB to 16GB in my T430 will require me to replace the two existing 4GB SoDIMM's with two brand new 8GB SoDIMM's, right? If so unless I can sell or use the existing 2 x 4GB SoDIMMs, that sounds like a waste. Two new 8GB sticks will run at-least $150 alone. Hmmm...

"The Definitive T430 Modding Guide" is a nice find, thank you for the link. At the end of the article the Author adds this telling comment: "It’s very clear that my infatuation with the T430 is not healthy." Indeed.

I see i7-3632QM's currently going for $100 used on ebay right now. Most of them come from China. The price may climb soon because supposedly China is no longer taking E-Waste from the West, which is probably the source of these pulled parts.

I found my spare 2.5" 1TB 5400RPM SATA HDD. Unfortunately it is 9mm high not 7mm, so it doesn't fit in the T430's normal SSD/HDD bay. But fortunately I had the foresight to buy an Ultrabay SSD/HDD caddie along with the T430, so I slapped the HDD in that - and life is good. I was able to do an experimental install of Mint-19 Cinnamon on the Ultrabay HDD, which went pretty well.

My 1600x900 anti-glare panel driven by the NVIDIA NVS 5400M is now working perfectly in Mint. It turns out all the nVidia driver issues were nicely sorted out by Mint itself after you do a full install. None of that is addressed at all in the live version of Mint, which is annoying because one of the the main reasons for a live version is to evaluate it before deciding whether or not to do a full install. I post some details about this nVidia business here:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=275339&p=1511037#p1511037

This evening I found a local electronics big-box store (Best Buy) selling 512GB Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD drives on sale for $99 USD, which is $10 more than the normal $89 price (plus shipping) on Amazon. So I hopped in the car and 20 minutes later I had the drive ready for install. As I mentioned previously, I'll probably use the 512GB SSD to boot Mint while the 1TB HDD will live in the Ultrabay to archive stuff. I'll just need to find a script or utility to spin the HDD down when it is not being used.

I stopped short of doing the full Mint install on the new 512GB SSD tonight because I've run into a potentially big problem with Mint - no Wine install. So far it looks like Mint has abandoned Wine as an included application. That's a show stopper for me. Some key applications I use run just fine in Wine, and they do not have Linux equivalents. So that's my next nut to crack - getting a good Wine install in Mint. (Gee, I never thought I'd ever be caught typing that last sentence.) So I'll spend some time thrashing about with Wine fixes on the 1TB HDD for now.

You know - It's always something major that keeps me from updating Mint from release to release. I never moved beyond Mint 17.2 because of never-ending Broadcom WiFi/BT laptop driver problems which didn't get fixed until long into Mint-18. But by then I couldn't use Mint-18 anyway because I need a good on-screen keyboard, and the Onboard keyboard (really no good alternative IMO) was broken for a long time in Mint-18. That brings me to Mint-19 where I'm now using a 5-year old T430 laptop (which eliminates driver issues), and the Onboard keyboard is back again (Yay!) - but now Wine is gone (Booo).
Last edited by 377Ohms on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:09 am

Two new 16GB sticks will run at-least $150 alone
Max memory is 16G, and I only upgraded to 16G because I had to do some heavy duty number crunching in excel (running win7 in a VM) and wanted to give win plenty of room, so allocated 8G to virtualbox when running win. But you probably need to replace both DIMMs on the basis you've probably got 2x4G. And I could set that upgrade off as a business expense :)

Sounds like wine isn't in the repos any more for mint 19, you can download and install from here, this has the advantage that you'll get the latest version:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

Don't do wine anymore, I splashed out £38 for crossover and use it to run excel 2013 and word 2013 - yes, I've got both, office 2016 running under win7 in a VM and office 2013 running under crossover. Why - crossover is for my stuff, win7 in a VM is for work cos I need an additional simulation package @Risk which I haven't even tried running with excel under crossover.

I got my i7-3632QM locally in the UK via ebay, also saw the chinese ones and decided to pay a bit more and get it sooner. Seller was v helpful cos I was somewhat nervous about taking the T430 apart to install it. In the end was reasonably straightforward. Beforehand I printed out all the relevant pages from the hardware manual. BIOS complained when I first booted but no problems.

Glad to see the mint install was straightforward with the nvidia GPU, you now have faster graphics than me! I have been toying with the idea of trying out an external GPU but not done anything yet.
I'll just need to find a script or utility to spin the HDD down when it is not being used.
You've done what I did with a 1TB drive in the ultrabay, I don't bother to spin it down when not in use, given that I've had a couple of 2TB HDD running 24/7 in a NAS for well over a year without problem, I wouldn't worry about this.

The 1TB drive is mounted in my fstab:

Code: Select all

# mount point for HDD in ultrabay, added 3 feb 18
UUID=5cdf25ee-93ed-41a0-96f5-31ff2f85862c /media/Ultrabay ext4 defaults,nofail 0 2
I've got both timeshift and backintime set up to automatically back up to it daily.

Your setup is now near identical to mine, 512G SSD for mint and 1TB ultrabay for backup. I've partitioned the SSD with separate partitions for root, home and swap. If you let mint do this under the "something else" option, it will install under legacy mode with root in a primary partition and then create an extended partition for both home and swap - if you do this manually you could put all three in primary partitions as you can have a max of four.

I'm still running 18.3 on my main machine and playing with mint 19 on another T430 until I've sorted out the essential stuff. The second T430 is the low res screen (1366x768), i5-3320M, 4G RAM with a 128G SSD in the mSATA and a 320G HDD in the main slot.

377Ohms
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 377Ohms » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:44 am

Two new 16GB sticks will run at-least $150 alone
Oops, thanks for pointing out my mistake. I corrected the post: 16GB should read 8GB.

Yeah, I've been looking into the Wine mess. I made a post about it here where I whine about missing Wine; then I beg for guidance:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=275488

Like you I would need more SDRAM if I was going to run full Windows in a VM and then run some of the Windows-only engineering simulation programs I need. In the past Wine got the job done painlessly, and with a surprisingly small footprint.

This is my first big modern SSD, so I'm coming to grips with the finer points. It may be old news to you, but I found this post interesting:

* SSD: how to optimize your Solid State Drive for Linux Mint 19

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

I use simulation programs that use the likes of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and SPICE based circuit simulations. These applications can have huge dynamic memory and storage appetites. As such, disk caching goes on all the time. I've seen warnings about these applications rapidly wearing out SSDs. (I know from practice they're really hard on HDDs.) Best practice seems to restrict them to caching on rotating storage only. It sounds plausible, but then again there seems be a lot of different opinions out there when it comes to the subject of SSD lifespan and performance.

Return to “Newbie Questions”