Linux Mint 18.3 Hangs when resume from suspend

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abbasali

Linux Mint 18.3 Hangs when resume from suspend

Post by abbasali »

Hi all.

I am using Linux Mint since a while now. Recently I had to reinstall the OS on my HP ProBook 450 G4. My previous installation of Mint 18.3 with older kernel was working fine however new installation with new kernel version hangs when I resume from suspend.

Here is inxi output:

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: myHost Kernel: 4.15.0-30-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: HP (portable) product: HP ProBook 450 G4
           Mobo: HP model: 8231 v: KBC Version 42.1E Bios: HP v: P85 Ver. 01.02 date: 08/30/2016
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-7500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11616
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 500 MHz 2: 500 MHz 3: 500 MHz 4: 500 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 5916 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA Device 134e bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 930MX/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.130 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Device 9d71 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-30-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (52.0% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST2000LM015 size: 2000.4GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.8T used: 955G (56%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: 44.0C gpu: 0.0:46C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 216 Uptime: 1:25 Memory: 2741.8/15935.2MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0 Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
$ 
My latest kernel log is attached as klog.zip

Help is appreciated.

Regards
klog.zip
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carum carvi

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 Hangs when resume from suspend

Post by carum carvi »

You were already on the right path with your observation that the change in kernel might be the cause of the problem. Just change back to 18.2 if that isnt too much of a hassle. I have done that before too. And problems with suspend were solved.

You can upgrade to LM19 nowadays, that works as a breeze for me too. But lots of others have mentioned problems with suspend in LM19. So it is just what works best in combination with your kind of hardware. Good Luck.
abbasali

Post by abbasali »

Thank you for the reply. I am seriously considering upgrading to ML19. Maybe testing it before upgrading should provide assurance. In the mean time further replies/help will be appreciated.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

That attached kernel log doesn't include suspend and/or resume events, I suppose it's the log from after you restarted after your hang. We'd need the previous log.

You are currently running the same kernel as LM19, so you'll possibly (not necessarily) run into the same issue if it's kernel related. If you want to go back to your previous kernel just install it from Update Manager > View > Linux kernels, then switch to it via GRUB boot menu > Advanced, then remove the one that isn't working via Software Manager.
abbasali

Post by abbasali »

Hi,

Unfortunately I removed older kernels.

I tried to upgrade to LM19: proved to be a disaster!
Timeshift worked for me; I restored to last snapshot, updated repositories to LM18.3 and all was ok again. Hence no more LM19 upgrades.

For kernel logs, I tried to look for an event related to system hang / resume from suspend, but could not find any. Maybe I need to look somewhere else. BTW, I am looking at /var/kern.log ... Should I see somewhere else to look for the error?
abbasali

Post by abbasali »

Here is more meaningful report/log:
syslog-20180818-0327.zip
I put system to suspend at 3:27
Resumed at 3:29
My laptop froze and I forced power off and then turned on at 3:31
abbasali

Post by abbasali »

Hibernate however works fine:
syslog-20180818-0351.zip
I hibernated at 3:51
powered on at 3:53, all ok.
abbasali

Post by abbasali »

Can somebody help please?
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Abbasali, I can understand your frustration. But the fact is, that lots and lots of people have trouble with supsend or hibernation in LInux. Hibernation is even completely disabled in LM19 for that very reason. It has to do with the fact that hardware manufacturers are geared towards Microsoft standards. Linux software has been very vulnerable to problems with suspend or hibernation. It just cant be helped much.

If something works, suspend or hibernation, please stick with that particular LinuxMInt edition. There are not many easy solutions to be found about suspend problems unfortunately. Only a few. That's the reason not many people have replied I guess.

There are some tips and tricks you can try though. See below for a discussion about suspend problems. Maybe they can be of help. Otherwise I should settle for your earliest correct observation by yourself, that the change to another kernel was the cause of the problem.
Try LM18.1 or LM18.2 or LM18.3 with your favorite kernel. That's my best advice.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=274817&start=20&hi ... blems+gm10
gm10

Post by gm10 »

abbasali wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:33 am Can somebody help please?
Sorry, guess I left you hanging there, somehow this one kept slipping through the cracks. Your logs show some network errors upon suspending, but your network comes up successfully upon resume so I don't think they are to blame. What your logs do however show are a ton of disk related errors. There's clearly something wrong with how the kernel interacts with your disks. I'd place my money on that being the reason for your troubles here.

I'm unfortunately no expert at reading these error messages so I do not dare to tell you whether this is a software problem (kernel bug or maybe BIOS setting) or a hardware problem.It would be interesting to see if you can suspend a live USB session successfully. You might also try that after changing your to UEFI mode - it seems to be running in legacy BIOS mode, which can cause problems with suspend - but you'd have to change that back to boot your installed Mint again, it won't have an EFI boot loader for now. The UEFI/BIOS settings being the cause has a certain likelihood due to the difference in behaviour you're seeing between suspend and hibernate. Also check if your BIOS has settings both on suspend mode and on the disk controller mode.

Sorry, can't be of more specific help there. Here's one example of the disk-related errors that caught my eye in case you want to try your luck on google:

Code: Select all

Aug 18 03:29:11 myHost kernel: [ 3141.385991] ata2: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x4090000 action 0xe frozen
Aug 18 03:29:11 myHost kernel: [ 3141.386094] ata2: irq_stat 0x00400040, connection status changed
Aug 18 03:29:11 myHost kernel: [ 3141.386175] ata2: SError: { PHYRdyChg 10B8B DevExch }
Aug 18 03:29:11 myHost kernel: [ 3141.386259] ata2: hard resetting link
stevedonato
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stevedonato »

Best solution is to try and reach the developers at ubuntu site. Linux Mint developers do not read this site. It is obvious that Linux Ubuntu/Mint developers do crappy Quality Assurance testing. This has been an unsolved Bug for over 5 years. We either have to go back to LinuxMint 17.3 where it last worked perfect, or move on to a different distro that has better developers QA Testing. I use to work for IBM and if someting like this occurred, and lasted for more the 4 months the developer would be fired. These developers need to learn from that.
Sailor in Florida
stevedonato
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stevedonato »

I forgot to add; Hibernate/Resume is a simple function and trivial code, even in Assembler language.
We all know how much code it takes to write all Ram to disk, save the mouse pointer location, then simply restore it on Resume. Disgraceful to have such a simple function fail.
Sailor in Florida

Return to “Beginner Questions”