Startup manager not loading

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
amirage
Level 1
Level 1

Startup manager not loading

Post by amirage »

Hi all

I thought of changing my usplash theme in LinuxMint7. After installing startupmanager thru package manager, I thought I was on the right road. It's when I tried to run the application that I realised I had hit my first speed bump. Well, the application does not load. I have tried everything, still no cigar. I reinstalled the program, yet in vain. I also ran the program using alt+f2 still no effect.

Has anyone else faced this issue? Do you have a solution?? Please help...

Amit
Dell XPS M1730
2.3ghz Centrino Dual Core
2 GB DDR2 Ram
200 GB Raid 0 HDD
Nvidia 8700 GT Sli Gfx card

Salvakiya
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Startup manager not loading

Post by Salvakiya »

i had the same problem however i learned that the terminal is my best friend

1. you need to be logged on as root
2. open terminal and type the following

Code: Select all

startupmanager
tada! should work

amirage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amirage »

Hey there...

Thanks for the info. Works great...This forum is the best!

Amit
Dell XPS M1730
2.3ghz Centrino Dual Core
2 GB DDR2 Ram
200 GB Raid 0 HDD
Nvidia 8700 GT Sli Gfx card

Salvakiya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Salvakiya »

yea the forums are awesome. i am new to linux and they are a great help. i installed linux just the other day.
oh and i found out that you dont need to be logged on as root if you use the following code in the terminal

sudo startupmanager

kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kei84 »

Typing "sudo startupmanager" is the same as typing "sudo" first and then "startupmamnager".

You'll have to type your passaword in both cases. In both cases you will login as root.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

There is a bug in the mintMenu launcher for startupmanager, but you can get it to run from the menu quite easily.

Right click on the menu icon and select "Edit Menu" from the popup menu. Go to "Administration" (you may have to scroll down) in Menus. Click on "Administration and a list of applications will come up in the right window. Click on startupmanager then click "Properties" The startupmanager launcher will appear. In the command box, change "su-to-root -X-c " to "gksu" without touching the rest ofthe start command. Close the menu editor and try launching startupmanager from mintMenu. It should work.
Registered Linux User 483387

techtype
Level 1
Level 1

Post by techtype »

Aging Technogeek wrote:There is a bug in the mintMenu launcher for startupmanager, but you can get it to run from the menu quite easily.

Right click on the menu icon and select "Edit Menu" from the popup menu. Go to "Administration" (you may have to scroll down) in Menus. Click on "Administration and a list of applications will come up in the right window. Click on startupmanager then click "Properties" The startupmanager launcher will appear. In the command box, change "su-to-root -X-c " to "gksu" without touching the rest ofthe start command. Close the menu editor and try launching startupmanager from mintMenu. It should work.
Thanks, this got me going in the right direction. Only this variation worked for me:

gksu /usr/sbin/startupmanager

Return to “Newbie Questions”