[SOLVED] How do I get rid of pocket in Firefox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PeterWinter

[SOLVED] How do I get rid of pocket in Firefox

Post by PeterWinter »

Ohhh, I am unhappy! If I can't get rid of this bloat, I guess I'll start using Chrom! How do I get rid of this nasty bloat? I've been to about:config, but nowhere can I find browser.pocket.enable. I found other references to pocket and disabled them, but it's still there. Uggg! :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir Charles

Re: How do I get rid of pocket in Firefox

Post by Sir Charles »

Right click on the icon in the address bar: Remove from Address Bar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

PeterWinter wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:57 am Ohhh, I am unhappy! If I can't get rid of this bloat, I guess I'll start using Chrom! How do I get rid of this nasty bloat? I've been to about:config, but nowhere can I find browser.pocket.enable. I found other references to pocket and disabled them, but it's still there. Uggg! :(
extensions.pocket.enabled should be set to false.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Note: Disabling Pocket does not remove Recommended by Pocket entries, if present, on the New Tab page. If you would also like to remove those Pocket recommendations, click the cogwheel at the top right corner of the New Tab page and uncheck Recommended by Pocket.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/di ... et-firefox
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

I suggest you stop using Firefox and use Waterfox instead, which doesn't have Pocket nor any of the other annoying features in Firefox.
https://www.waterfoxproject.org/en-US/

Some of the advantages of Waterfox here: https://www.waterfoxproject.org/en-US/w ... /features/
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

me?

I just go into URL about:config and set all the values for pocket to a blank, or empty.

pocket is gone
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

do not resist pocket
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Marziano wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:07 am Right click on the icon in the address bar: Remove from Address Bar
+1.

that's what I'm doing.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
PeterWinter

Post by PeterWinter »

catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:09 am
PeterWinter wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:57 am Ohhh, I am unhappy! If I can't get rid of this bloat, I guess I'll start using Chrom! How do I get rid of this nasty bloat? I've been to about:config, but nowhere can I find browser.pocket.enable. I found other references to pocket and disabled them, but it's still there. Uggg! :(
Interesting! Thanks! I've been to about:config a number of times and was looking for browser.pocket.enabled to set to false, but I couldn't find it. I did find extensions.pocket.enabled and set it to false. We\ll see what that does. Thanks. :D
PeterWinter

Post by PeterWinter »

catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:09 am
Mark this solved please. My eyes are terrible. Just has more surgery this morning, and the color I put for unvisited links needs to be changed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

PeterWinter wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:07 pm Mark this solved please.
Okay, I've done it for you this time.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”