How often to run BleachBit

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How often to run BleachBit

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:47 am Surely the "privacy" bit is only relevant if someone has physical access to your computer?
No disrespect. I think that's a bit short-sighted, and I'm not going to explain a multitude of different scenarios calling your statement into question..
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i have been running bleachbit both as user and root since ubuntu 12.04 . never once did i bork my system with it but then i already knew about cleaning windows and wiping free space so yeah if you don't know how to handle razor sharp knives it's best to stick to butter knives. but lately linux and windows are moving files around and bleachbit is not as useful as it once was. the first thing i do every distro install is run bleachbit root and delete localizations. the only thing i don't have selected in root mode is package lists. free disk space. and memory.

when i want to refresh apt i remove package lists but then unckeck it as i only do it maybe once every 3 months. bleachbit is not so useful in arch linux but at least it does do localization cleanup

i run bleachbit root after any software install or update. i run bleachbit user maybe every other day, but cleaning cache is easier to just delete the contents of .cache then bleachbit for some extra leftover files. it's faster to delete .cache and .thumbnails manually
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

catweazel wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:53 am No disrespect. I think that's a bit short-sighted, and I'm not going to explain a multitude of different scenarios calling your statement into question..
I am not feeling disrespected at all. I thought that the security of Linux was one of its strong points. Access to your system requires permissions that are not generally available to "outsiders". I'm still learning the ins and outs of "under the hood". So, "please explain", in the words of that immortal bard. ;)
Last edited by Moem on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:22 pm
catweazel wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:53 am No disrespect. I think that's a bit short-sighted, and I'm not going to explain a multitude of different scenarios calling your statement into question..
I am not feeling disrespected at all. I thought that the security of Linux was one of its strong points. Access to your system requires permissions that are not generally available to "outsiders". I'm still learning the ins and outs of "under the hood". So, "please explain", in the words of that immortal bard. ;)
Security and privacy are two completely different animals.

https://blog.varonis.com/the-difference ... d-privacy/

That's the difference, and here is an illustration of privacy in action and how it is distinct from security:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plausible_deniability

In particular, see (only) the first sentence of this sub-section:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plausible ... r_networks

Cheers.
Last edited by Moem on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks, CW. I was aware of those differences. My contention regarding privacy on your home computer still stands. I'll re-work it. I'd consider security on a Linux computer is akin to having a concrete vault, as no-one can see in, the data "inside" is a) secure and b) private. It is only when such data is taken out of the "vault", i.e. someone is given permission to access that data, it is no longer "private". If, of course you use a chain wire fence (Windows?) and big doggies (a.v. software) along with guard towers (cCleaner etc.), you will still be secure, but not private.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I'm with the long-term users who have never had a problem. While it's installed and used sometimes on full hard drive installations, it's especially good when running test versions on thumb drive installations, clearing a lot of space on small drives: for those i have the USER BB start on boot and run it every time. The only "unchecks" I use are:

BB USER
. Chromium: Cookies and Passwords
. Firefox: Cookies and Passwords
. System: Free Disk Space and Memory

BB ROOT (normally run only after a point release or large software package (browser, LibreOffice, etc.)
. System: Free Disk Space and normally Memory, but have had no problem clearing Memory for heavy software, e.g. video processing.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Beginner Questions”