What does the Linux Mint Development Cycle Look like?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxKnight

What does the Linux Mint Development Cycle Look like?

Post by LinuxKnight »

Hey guys! So yeah, first post. I just wanted to know how the Mint team takes Ubuntu/Debian and turns it into Mint/LMDE and the exact steps involved. I wanted to email the folks on the Mint team, but I suppose I'll try this first.

I wanted to know how they did it so I could make my own derivative similar to Mint. First, after I have this information, I think I might give building my own Mint 19 a shot before trying to change it.

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
borg101

Re: What does the Linux Mint Development Cycle Look like?

Post by borg101 »

LinuxKnight wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:40 pm Hey guys! So yeah, first post. I just wanted to know how the Mint team takes Ubuntu/Debian and turns it into Mint/LMDE and the exact steps involved. I wanted to email the folks on the Mint team, but I suppose I'll try this first.

I wanted to know how they did it so I could make my own derivative similar to Mint. First, after I have this information, I think I might give building my own Mint 19 a shot before trying to change it.

Thank you in advance!
Hi and welcome to the forums! While I'm not sure about the first half as I'm rather new to Linux myself, there are some good resources out there for creating and customizing your own linux distro and installations. I haven't really delved into it, but I was reading https://www.maketecheasier.com/6-tools- ... ux-distro/ the other day and thought I might give one of those a try in the near future.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

My guess would be that they have a general procedure they follow, but there are probably details that differ from one release to another. I know they use some scripts to build the distro, but I don't think I've ever seen those posted online anywhere. Somewhere in the Linus Mint web sites they do have a list of tests they run before releasing, that might give you some clues. My guess would be that the process is not trivial.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
LinuxKnight

Post by LinuxKnight »

Oh thanks for the replies!

I guess I'll have to do some reverse engineering, or somehow git gud at linux stuff (I have no development history nor experience) and then work my way up the dev hierarchy until I learn how to create such an iso. (Random digression: APTus is a neat tool from SparkyLinux that would be interesting to see in LMint).

They say Linux Mint is a newbie distro, but I gotta say the dev team needs some love for making this happen!

Return to “Beginner Questions”