Rhythmbox cover art? Solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Rhythmbox cover art? Solved

Post by David1293 »

Hi all
I would like to browse my music with the cover art icons.
It's checked in my preferences, but I can't find a way to display the album covers.
Is there an easy way to show them?
If not, would I be better off using a different music player?
I'm told Exaile is a low-resource music player, but I could never get it to work satisfactorily in the past.
If this requires use of the terminal, can I respectfully ask for baby steps?
Thanks
D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Edison

Re: Rhythmbox cover art?

Post by Edison »

David,

If you find an answer to this I would appreciate knowing-- I have the same issue.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Edison, I'd suggest you subscribe to the thread. There's an option for that in the drop down menu below every thread, it's the spanner icon.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Turtletronic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Turtletronic »

Rhythmbox does not allow the display per album art, it only uses the album cover (per track) in the play bar; that is however only one of its main drawbacks. As you can see from my signature I am not a friend of such commonly overpraised, outdated, and useless programs. Some White Knights might disagree, but so far not one came up with a truly usable alternative.

At work I have to use the Windows tools MusicBee, mp3tag, and TagScan so their functionality, ease of use, and flexibility is a goal Linux tools should at least try to achieve. Don't get me wrong, I hate Windows with a reason. But in this case the tools provided in the Linux world are way, way behind. Looking at taggers one could just about live with PuddleTag. One would have to cut back on a few functions and ignore the slow processing speed, but it's still better than many other Linux taggers. And Audacious does a pretty good job as simple player, too.

GFXPlayers/Libraries. Thin air for Linux. Exaile is - as you noted - not the best choice (and it sucks even more on Windows). A basic alternative would be Lollypop even if it's sometimes hard to install/compile. WARNING: former main page (gnumdk.github.io/lollypop-web/) only shows some Free Phone Numbers crap now; try Cédric Bellegarde's https://launchpad.net/~gnumdk/+archive/ubuntu/lollypop instead.
My music library includes 83,250 tracks. My advice? Forget Amarok, Banshee, Clementine & Rhythmbox. Stick with Windows tools like MusicBee.
Turtletronic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Turtletronic »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:05 pm Banshee allows you to do what you wish.
Outdated (4 years old). Slow. Regular crashes with various OS. Folder hierarchy/Album settings tear apart tracks with collabs & featured artists ('&', 'feat.', etc.), moving them into single 'folders' whatever you do, even if you really adapt your music folders and data to comply with the non-standard settings of Banshee. Problems with full Unicode support. Disrespects track/media numbers and varying album/track years. Also has massive problems with handling and (re)scanning Album images (e.g. standard cover.jpg in folders, some encased examples) often leaving you with having to double-click on each album to force-load the album image (again).

TL;DR: Banshee? Useless.
My music library includes 83,250 tracks. My advice? Forget Amarok, Banshee, Clementine & Rhythmbox. Stick with Windows tools like MusicBee.
Edison

Post by Edison »

Banshee always worked for me, however LM 19 broke it. It crashes now when importing music.
But then again, I'm not a real audiophile. I have maybe 400-500 tracks. I do like that I can
plugin radio stations quite easily with Banshee. I hope the problem is resolved soon.

Have you tried Clementine, David?
Last edited by Edison on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edison

Post by Edison »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:00 pm You can't browse your music collection using a cover art category with Clementine.
Disappointing. I liked Banshee and would love it if the developers resolved the problem.
I didn't have the problem on LM 18.3, but as I mentioned, it crashes in LM 19.
In my earlier post I misspoke and said LM 19 broke it-- I should have said that it
broke in LM 19. I don't know what the actual cause it. Apologies.
Edison

Post by Edison »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:22 pm Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it in Synaptic? Who knows if that would work but, why not give it a try?
Good idea, but I just tried it and the same issue presents itself.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:55 pm You recommend Lollypop, which had a dead web page, isn't listed in the Mint repositories for some reason that is probably valid, and requires a ppa which installs a FlatPak, which you did not care to mention.
What makes you think the Lollypop PPA installs a flatpak? It installs a Deb same as any other PPA.

Lollypop is also available in the Software Manager as a flatpak - irrespective of whether you add the PPA or not. The PPA version is newer that the Flatpak

No particular axe to grind in any direction here but lollypop may not have a nice web page but it is in current development (last PPA builds seven hours ago), the PPA is maintained by the app author and the source is freely available on the Gnome gitlab - https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/lollypop/tags, and it's got a nice landing page on the Gnome wiki. https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Lollypop

So no reason to be suspicious.

If installing the PPA version it be sure to install the recommended package python3-pylast. It's supposed to be a depend so that's a packaging error. Music import hangs without it.

It's a nice player.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi all
Many thanks for the many replies. I've been extremely busy with work, hence the delay in replying. It seems there is much disagreement, except that this function is problematic, to say the least.
So, should I go back to Banshee, or is it truly broken in Mint 19.? Try another player? Has anyone managed to get lyrics to work with Exaile? The program notes say that it can do this, but I've had no success.
Failing that, is there another player that could be made to do what I would like, i.e. display cover art and allow me to browse my music library this way?

I forgot to put that I'm using Mint Mate 19.
Thanks again for the replies
D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI David1293,

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

There are a lot of very good to excellent music applications that can be installed and used in Linux Mint with cover art options.

+1 for Audacious, newer versions (3.10) from PPA even for Linux Mint 19.x

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt install audacious audacious-plugins

"Amarok" is still my favorite.
Rythmbox has 2 PPA's one for the player and another for various plug-ins which may provide more functionality, buyt not sure will work with the new Linux Mint 19 yet.

How to Install Rhythmbox (V3.4.2) on Ubuntu via PPA
https://www.ubuntupit.com/install-rhyth ... u-via-ppa/

Rhythmbox third-party plugins : fossfreedom
https://launchpad.net/~fossfreedom/+arc ... ox-plugins
Qmmp releases : Ilya Kotov
https://launchpad.net/~forkotov02/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:forkotov02/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install qmmp qmmp-plugin-pack

"Sayonara" might be a music app you might like.

Sayonara is A Beautiful Lightweight Music Player for Linux | It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/sayonara-music-player/

Sayonara Player Official Site - Home
https://sayonara-player.com/

"Guayadeque" Music Player
http://www.guayadeque.org/

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:anonbeat/guayadeque

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt install guayadeque

6 Music Players for Linux that You might not have Heard of | It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/lesser-known-music-players-linux/

Lollypop - Linux Mint 19.x 64-bit or 32-bit
https://launchpad.net/~gnumdk/+archive/ ... ic_all.deb

"Yarock" link for Linux Mint 18.x and 19.x
64-bit
https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+ar ... _amd64.deb
32-bit
https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+ar ... 2_i386.deb

Musique
64-bit
https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+ar ... _amd64.deb
32-bit
https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+ar ... l_i386.deb

Hope this helps ...
Audacious.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi David1293, CtrlAltDel, and Everyone Else.

Last night I booted into Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 (64-bit) and was able to install all of the music apps including Lollypop (using their PPA or the deb file) also installed "kid3-cli" and they all worked fine. I updated my previous reply to include download links and more info.

Today I booted into Linux Mint Mate 19 (64-bit) and installed Lollypop (using their PPA or the deb file) also installed "kid3-cli" and they all worked fine. I still get the message in the Lollypop preference tab to install "kid3-cli" even though it is already installed, but it seems to be working very well regardless of that message which you only see in the preferences.

Hope this helps ...
Lollypop.jpg
Lollypop_deb_Install.jpeg
Lollypop_Install_kid3-cli.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi, all

Many thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it.
In response to phd21, my system is as follows:

System: Host: Ancholme Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64
bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: ASRock model: Z97 Anniversary serial: N/A
BIOS: American Megatrends v: P1.40 date: 01/16/2015
Battery hidpp__0: charge: 100% condition: NA/NA Wh
model: Logitech M570 status: Discharging
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790 (-MT-MCP-)
arch: Haswell rev.3 cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 28790
clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz 1: 2076 MHz 2: 2305 MHz 3: 2514 MHz
4: 1963 MHz 5: 2218 MHz 6: 1903 MHz 7: 1888 MHz 8: 1890 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: NV137 version: 4.3 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 NVIDIA GP107GL High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-3 Logitech Webcam C270 driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 003-002
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-20-generic
Network: Card: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f040 bus-ID: 00:19.0
IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 10002.0GB (21.9% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3000DM001 size: 3000.6GB
ID-2: USB /dev/sdc model: Expansion_Desk size: 5001.0GB
ID-3: USB /dev/sdd model: External_USB_3.0 size: 2000.4GB
Optical-1: /dev/sr0 model: ASUS BC-12D2HT
rev: 1.00 dev-links: cdrom,dvd,dvdrw
Features: speed: 1x multisession: yes
audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Optical-2: /dev/sr1 model: ATAPI iHAS122 F
rev: EL04 dev-links: cdrw
Features: speed: 48x multisession: yes
Partition: ID-1: / size: 2.7T used: 38G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 37.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 239 Uptime: 2:04 Memory: 1376.9/15991.5MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56
Hope this helps. I'm wondering about Amarok, but also wonder if it might slow down my system, which at the moment is pretty fast.
I'll take a look at all of these, and when I've decided on my favourite, maybe do a clean install? Or should I avail myself of timeshift?
Thanks again
D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi David1293,

You are welcome from all of us replying to your post...

- I do not see anything wrong with the results of the "inxi -Fxzd" console terminal command, so that is a good thing. Except, that you are not using the nVidia video card driver for your nVidia "GeForce GTX 1050 Ti" video card instead you are using the default "nouveau" driver. You would probably get much better video and graphics using their drivers. Looks like a nice computer.

NVIDIA: how to install the latest video card drivers - Easy Linux tips project
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/12

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert or "ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command, restart computer afterward.

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-390

-
David1293 wrote:I'm wondering about Amarok, but also wonder if it might slow down my system, which at the moment is pretty fast. I'll take a look at all of these, and when I've decided on my favourite, maybe do a clean install? Or should I avail myself of timeshift?Thanks again D
I always have more than one music application (most of them) installed because of various features and testing them for others, sometimes just for using something different. You have a fast computer with good amount of system memory (ram), so none of the music applications should slow your system down.

"Amarok" is still my favorite music application because it is the most complete music app I know of and has so many features and you can add more in its configure preferences. But Amarok does use more resources than other music apps like Audacious, and it can take a little longer to come up if you have a lot of Internet streaming stations although once it is up and running it is quick. So, if I don't already have a music app running, and I want to play something quickly, I use Audacious, Qmmp, or one of the others. Clementine and "exaile" are offshoots of Amarok. I have not seen any new updates for Amarok lately nor do I know if it is being maintained, but I do hope the Amarok project is not abandoned because it is a wonderful music management player app.

Why do you think you need to do a clean "fresh" install, or restore a "timeshift" backup? Not that there is anything wrong with doing a clean fresh install or restoring a timeshift backup.

Hope this helps ...
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi, all
Thank you for the replies.
I am wondering if Audacious might be the answer to my needs, as I do want a light and fast system. But, I am definitely open to persuasion.
I had just reinstalled, but have now adopted the nVidia driver.
There have been so many replies that frankly I am almost overwhelmed by the possibilities. I really appreciate that people would take time to reply.
I thought maybe time shift might be needed if I installed and needed to remove a repository- I had tried to install get-iplayer, which doesn't seem to be working in Mint 19, so I had a redundant repository.
Anyway, thank you for all the people who have taken the time to reply.
Regards
D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi David1293,

There is nothing wrong with installing as many of the music apps as you want to try, you can always uninstall the ones you do not want.

Now that you have the correct nVidia driver installed, what does the "inxi -Fxzd" show now?

If you have redundant (duplicate) software repository entries when you run the update process, it will show that, just copy and paste the results of the bottom of the command below back here. This is usually not a problem to correct (fix).

sudo apt update
I just installed "get-iplayer" (get_iplayer 3.16) in Linux Mint 19.x Mate and it worked perfectly using their PPA including automatically installing the "AtomicParsley" package as part of "get-iplayer" which before had to be installed separately. You should have "ffmpeg" installed from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) too. See link below. Of course, if you are not currently located in the UK (GB), then you will probably need to connect to a VPN server there to use this.

upgrading get-iplayer (SOLVED) - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=250289&hilit=iplayer

To install get-iplayer using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jon-hedgerows/get-iplayer

sudo apt update

sudo apt install get-iplayer
get-iplayer/get_iplayer: A utility for downloading TV and radio programmes from BBC iPlayer
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi, all
Many many thanks for taking the time to reply. I have opted for Lollypop and Audacious for now, although I may add others later.
I really like Lollypop so far, although I've yet to discover what Audacious plugins actually do. I need to have a play around with it to find out, I suppose.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply.
For phd21, my system now is as follows:

System: Host: Ancholme Kernel: 4.15.0-30-generic x86_64
bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: ASRock model: Z97 Anniversary serial: N/A
BIOS: American Megatrends v: P1.40 date: 01/16/2015
Battery hidpp__0: charge: 100% condition: NA/NA Wh
model: Logitech M570 status: Discharging
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790 (-MT-MCP-)
arch: Haswell rev.3 cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 28792
clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz 1: 2399 MHz 2: 2287 MHz 3: 2393 MHz
4: 2394 MHz 5: 2391 MHz 6: 2388 MHz 7: 2102 MHz 8: 2388 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0
drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.48 Direct Render: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 NVIDIA GP107GL High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-3 Logitech Webcam C270 driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 003-002
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-30-generic
Network: Card: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f040 bus-ID: 00:19.0
IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 10002.0GB (22.0% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3000DM001 size: 3000.6GB
ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Expansion_Desk size: 5001.0GB
ID-3: USB /dev/sdd model: External_USB_3.0 size: 2000.4GB
Optical-1: /dev/sr0 model: ASUS BC-12D2HT
rev: 1.00 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
Features: speed: 1x multisession: yes
Optical-2: /dev/sr1 model: ATAPI iHAS122 F
rev: EL04 dev-links: N/A
Features: speed: 48x multisession: yes
Partition: ID-1: / size: 2.7T used: 51G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:35C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 236 Uptime: 1:35 Memory: 1649.4/15991.5MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56
Hopefully all is well.
I'll mark this as solved.
Thanks all, again
Regards
D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI David1293,

You are welcome again from all of us that replied...

1.)
David1293 wrote:I really like Lollypop so far, although I've yet to discover what Audacious plugins actually do. I need to have a play around with it to find out, I suppose.
I like both Audacious and Lollypop music apps and the other ones.
- I am not sure what the Lollypop network issue is, it seemed to connect to the Internet without any changes in my systems?

- Audacious is cool because there are 3 Interface options, GTK, WinAmp, and QT. I use the QT version because all the windows are docked into one window versus the GTK with separate windows, but I think you have to use the PPA to get this QT version. The WinAmp version allows people to use different "skins" which is cool and there are a lot of skins available. In one of my previous replies in other posts on music apps (search for WinAmp or Audacious), I have a link to an archive file with many skins anyone can use. You can experiment with its plugins.

2.) This looks much better and your system's video and graphics should work much better as well. You should have an nVidia indicator icon in your system tray now for settings and configuration options, do you?
David1293 wrote: Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0
drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.48 Direct Render: Yes

3.) Did you get "get-iplayer" working?

David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Rhythmbox cover art? Solved

Post by David1293 »

Hi phd21 and all of you!
I did get iplayer installed from the repository- I can't understand how I could have missed it last night. So, that's solved.
As for nVidia, no, I don't have a system tray icon. Does that matter, if I don't particularly want or need to adjust my settings- or is there a setting I definitely should adjust?
Again, many thanks
Regards
D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Rhythmbox cover art? Solved

Post by phd21 »

Hi David1293,

That's good you got the correct nVidia video drivers installed. No, you do not need the system tray settings icon. You can search the "Synaptic Package Manager SPM" for Nvidia and I think "nvidia settings" is the app and install that. There is another pretty famous indicator which I think is called indicator prime (plus or enhanced) for people with nVidia and intel video cards.

linux install nvidia indicator - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?ei=OyBzW5 ... l8sdDEyjb4

The "get-iplayer" works really well for those interested in that.

I have been playing around with Lollypop music app and I noticed that some of my music has the wrong cover art, but they have an easy way to change that in Lollypop by "mousing over" the image and the far-right last icon, then search for that song or album and if you see cover art you want just click it.
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”