Rhythmbox cover art? Solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Rhythmbox cover art?

Post by phd21 »

Hi CtrlAltDel,

Your post was very good in pointing out that network issue with Lollypop and even more importantly on how to fix it. I checked my Linux Mint KDE 18.3 system and it was already enabled. Thank you.
Lollypop_Network_dconf_editor_LM183KDE.jpg
Lollypop_Network_Enabled_Radio_LM183KDE.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Rhythmbox cover art? Solved

Post by phd21 »

Hi CtrlAltDel,

Yes, from my screenshot I have the Network option in the menu. Maybe that does not appear until after you enable it using dconf editor and restart Lollypop?

I do not see any differences in the 3 screenshots you just posted? Am I missing something?
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi CtrlAltDel,

FYI: I booted into a version of Kubuntu 18.04 like Linux Mint 19, installed Lollypop using their PPA and I have the same screens as you do with Lollypop and dconf editor. There is no Lollypop menu entry for checking "Network" like I had in Linux Mint 18.3 although anyone can enable network access through the dconf editor.

Lollypop : Cédric Bellegarde
https://launchpad.net/~gnumdk/+archive/ubuntu/lollypop

I also noticed that there are many right-click options available all over the Lollypop screen and song entries. I did not see Radios until I right-clicked the upper left portion of the screen. But, when I added radio stations I could not hear them? Then I noticed an update today for Lollypop. So, I checked their PPA and they have a Lollypop Master version in addition to the regular Lollypop. I installed the master (v0.9.522) which removed the regular Lollypop and now my radio stations play well.

Hope this helps ...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "CtrlAltDel",
CtrlAltDel wrote:I'll try updating to the nightly, PHD, if you personally guarantee nothing goes wrong and this fixes the issue. I'll need that assurance, though, before proceeding. Thank you for checking out the Network button entry and determining that it's the program, not the user. I'm not going to worry about it now; thankfully it is permanently on.
There is no need to switch from Lollypop regular to Lollypop Master if everything is working for you. Everything but streaming Radio playback was working for me. I could add streaming Radio stations, but when I clicked to play them I got no sound. So, I installed Lollypop Master and then I could play the streaming radio stations and hear them.

I did not create this software, so I cannot guarantee or give absolutions with this. But, with software that provides multiple versions, if you install a different one like Lollypop Master and it does not work better or as well as another version, uninstall (remove) it and simply install "Lollypop" the regular version. You may have to use dconf editor to make sure networking is enabled again, and restart Lollypop. After installing the PPA, and updating, if you go into the "Synaptic Package Manager SPM" and search for Lollypop, you will see the various versions they offer.

Hope this helps ...
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi all
Many thanks for all your replies. I don't think I have done anything unusual, but Lollypop has deleted Bangles Greatest Hits from my collection- yes, I'm that old. It won't come up in a search, either.
Lollypop has also frozen on me a number of times. I'm putting this here just for information, as I realise there probably isn't anything I can do about it. I did try refreshing the music collection, but it didn't add the missing album.
Regards
D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi David1293,

Are you saying that you think the Lollypop music application deleted the actual music files from your system or that they just don't show up as part of your music collection in Lollypop?

You can try deleting the user-defined music location folders in Lollypop's preferences, then re-adding them and updating them to see if that corrects the problem. Are the music files on the same drive and drive partition as your Linux Mint system? If not, it could be that after restarting your computer or logging out and logging back in that the drive and or partitions with some music folders are not "mounted" and available when you started Lollypop which you can use your file manager to click that drive and partition(s) to mount them or permanently mount them using "Disks" or another method so that they are always available, then restart Lollypop.

The other option is to delete the hidden Lollypop user-configuration folder while not in the application, and when you restart the application it will recreate that folder. This process may require using the dconf editor to allow network access again, and changing your preferences including adding music folders again.

Code: Select all

rm -r ~/.local/share/lollypop
Hope this helps ...
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi
Many thanks, yet again, for taking the trouble to reply. Actually, the music is just from my music folder in my system drive, although of course I have it backed up in an external drive too.
The problem happened in two stages: first, when I clicked on the album art for this album, instead of displaying a list of the tracks, it showed me a random list of tracks by artists, albeit all from my music folder.

I closed Lollypop and restarted the PC, just to try and clear the cache in a vague hope that might be the problem.
Then, when I looked for the Bangles, the album had disappeared altogether.
I will try reinstalling Lolylpop, and the step you recommended.
By the way, I have installed Sayonara, and so far like it. However, it seems to add random tracks to my playlist-unless that is the default for this player? I haven't altered anything.
Thank you, once more. I appreciate it.
Regards
D
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi
I forgot to put that no, it didn't delete the album from my music folder, just from Lollypop.
Regards
D
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi, all
I used the line you suggested, then reinstalled Lollypop. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem- first, when I click on this album, it shows a random list of tracks, then the album disappears altogether. Very frustrating.
I've also found Lollpop to be unstable on my system, freezing quite often.

Regards
D
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I#ve found Lollypop to be a bit unstable over a few more days of use - basically updating the library could freeze the application and then force closing it would corrupt it's database. The dev is responsive to bug reports though so worth persevering if you like the UI and functionality. I think it will be a go-to player by the time it gets to version 1.00

Using Sayonara at the moment - it's good - only bug I've come across is that it tends to lose display preferences if not manually shutdown before shutting down your system. Apparently this is fixed for it's imminent next release.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi
Thanks for replying. I think I want to wait until Lollypop seems a bit more stable, before I install it again. Then I'll do a snapshot before I install it.
Regards
D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi David1293 & Everyone Else,

I have been using the Lollypop Master version and I have noticed there have been updates almost daily recently with this. I am not sure what has been updated, but that may mean more features and functions and stability, etc...

Remember that there are many other music applications to try and use.

I just noticed that "Qmmp" from their PPA now has streaming radio search options.

"Yarock" is pretty cool with cover art interface option. "Tomahawk" is also really nice, but it appears to have been abandoned, but may still work well.

If you like or want streaming radio options, I highly recommend "StreamTuner2" which users can select the music application to play them with.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi
Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.

I will certainly take a look at Lollypop Master. If it will work, it's the nicest program I've seen so far.
I'll also take a look at the other programs you've mentioned.
Thanks
D
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi all
So I've clicked on the link but can't see any way to install Lollypop Master. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I can't insatll from the terminal as it says cannot find package Master.
Am I being obtuse?
I tried clicking on the folder for Lollypop Master, but nothing happens.
Regards
D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi David1293,

Just add their Lollypop PPA, update (sudo apt update), then install from the prompt or the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". If you already have the regular version of Lollypop installed, installing this will remove that, or you can remove it manually first.

Lollypop : Cédric Bellegarde
https://launchpad.net/~gnumdk/+archive/ubuntu/lollypop

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnumdk/lollypop

sudo apt-get update
Linux Mint 19.x users (Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic)

sudo apt install lollypop-master
Linux Mint 18.x users (Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial) can use this last command

sudo apt install lollypop-xenial

Hope this helps ...
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi
First, thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply yet again.
I tried the steps you posted, but I got unable to locate package lollypop-master.
Very frustrating. I'm using Audacious as you suggested, atm

Thanks
Regards
D
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi PHd21

My abject apologies.
I don't know what I did wrong- I thought I had simply copied and pasted, but I guess I must have done something wrong.
Anyway, I tried the steps you posted again, and it has worked.
Sincere thanks
Regards
D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi David1293,

You are welcome...

No worries ...

Glad you were able to install it. Remember that you may need to use dconf editor while not in Lollypop to enable networking (Internet access). Do you see any differences with this newer version and is it working better for you?
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi, Phd21
So far, it seems to be working much more satisfactorily- I do realise that time will tell- I seem to be very clumsy with the terminal, even pasting.
I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my posts.
Kind regards
D
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi
Thanks for that. I will do that.
I'll now mark this as solved.
Many thanks to all who have replied to my original post.
Regards
D

Return to “Beginner Questions”