Manually set xed text editor preferences

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Envrin

Manually set xed text editor preferences

Post by Envrin »

Just got Linux Mint 19 setup and running on my new laptop, and as per-usual the default text editor is xed, which I want to keep using as I'm used to it.

However, I unfortunately went blind a couple years ago, and the Edit->Preferences menu within text editor is unreadable by the Orca screen reader. I can hear the toggle buttons, but can't read what I'm toggling.

Where is the xed preferences file? Or are there any commands that let me change the preferences via terminal? I just want by default to not use word-wrap, and to treat the tab key as a tab and not 4 spaces.

If I could get those two preferences changed via terminal or by modifying a prefs file somewhere, I would be forever greateful. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Manually set xed text editor preferences

Post by smurphos »

Use tab as tab

gsettings set org.x.editor.preferences.editor insert-spaces false

Turn off word wrap

gsettings set org.x.editor.preferences.editor wrap-mode 'none'
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Manually set xed text editor preferences

Post by JosephM »

However, I unfortunately went blind a couple years ago, and the Edit->Preferences menu within text editor is unreadable by the Orca screen reader. I can hear the toggle buttons, but can't read what I'm toggling.
Is it the menu or the actual preferences window that don't work with Orca? Sounds like something I should look in to. We get very little feedback regarding this sort of thing so often don't even realize people are having issues.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Beginner Questions”