Mounted shared folder permission's problem since I'm on linux mint 19

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IIIDFx

Mounted shared folder permission's problem since I'm on linux mint 19

Post by IIIDFx »

Hi everyone,
I'm very very noob on linux, I started to use it just few weeks ago. Since I switched (fresh install) from linux mint 18.3 to the 19, I have an issue with the permissions on my mounted rep /s/. This rep is mounted and conf with this line in the /etc/fstab file : //10.1.0.46/shared2 /s/ cifs credentials=/root/smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8 nfs rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,async,noatime,user 0 0
My issue is what /s is automatically the propriety of root, I can read but I can't write at all. The only way to write file is from copy/past trough the file manager. If I try to write from Houdini, blender, libreoffice...etc no way. I have this kind of message 'Error saving document Unnamed 1:The object is not accessible.Can not access the object,because user rights are insufficient'. They have change the permission system in linux mint 19 ? what I can do ?
Thank you in advance for you help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mounted shared folder permission's problem since I'm on linux mint 19

Post by sgtor »

try adding

Code: Select all

vers=1.0,uid=YOURusername,gid=YOURusername,
if that doesn't work try experimenting with also adding

dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0644
I also see you have exec as an option. Do you run programs on that drive?
If not you don't need the drive to be executable.
IIIDFx

Post by IIIDFx »

Hi,
Thanks for your answers, It's works now ! I add, like you suggested, the uid and the gid and also found an error in the syntax. Here is the corrected line :

//10.1.0.46/shared2 /s/ cifs credentials=/root/smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,rw,auto,user,uid=1000,gid=1000,_netdev  0   0
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

I'm glad it worked out. Thanks for letting me know. :)
Djpeter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Djpeter »

When I opened and tried to edit files, The pop-up window read, "Error saving the document Passwords:Object not accessible. The object cannot be accessed due to insufficient user rights." I did notice on the main menu toolbar the "Window" tab there is a filed ticked as "(read-only) Libre-Writer." After two days i finally discovered that it was due to my dual boot with Windows. I booted in windows to play games, then shut down and booted into Linux mint. Then when I went to use libreoffice and other programs, I would get a error telling me that I was not the owner of the files and couldn't modify or delete them. At first it seemed Windows renamed my files and permissions but I found this
https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/shutti ... g-it-does/ and https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtog ... artup/amp/.

So this is more of a fyi for anyone who has similar problems.

Return to “Beginner Questions”