[SOLVED]Newbie-- VMware Workstation 10 issues on Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Gmen2oo3
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Newbie-- VMware Workstation 10 issues on Mint

Post by Gmen2oo3 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Good afternoon, I am new at Linux Mint and I have followed several different suggestions for installing VMware Workstation 10 on my installation of Mint. the installation completes successfully, but when I try to run VMWare to install an OS nothing happens, I get a wheel that spins and looks like something is starting but nothing ever comes up.

did I miss a step, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gmen
Last edited by Gmen2oo3 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgtor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Newbie-- VMware Workstation 10 issues on Mint

Post by sgtor » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 pm

I didn't even know vmware was in the repositories, I tried it once many years ago on windows and I always preferred virtualbox. So I can't be much help with vmware.

I use virtualbox and have no problems whatsoever.
If you'd like to try that instead.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install virtualbox
and you also need the interface

sudo apt install virtualbox-qt
and you'll probably want the guest additions

sudo apt install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso 
If you don't want virtualbox hopefully someone who knows about vmware can advise.
Last edited by sgtor on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gmen2oo3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gmen2oo3 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:03 am

Thank you for your help, I got the package directly from VMWare but I guess it is not quite as simple as installing it on windows. I am installing virtualbox and see how that goes. one item I was unable to complete was the guest additions. I tried to copy and past the command but it says the command is not recognized.

any idea?

Thanks

Gmenn

sgtor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgtor » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:44 am

Sorry about that, it was my mistake. I was copy and pasting the correct package names and forgot to add the apt install on that one. I've corrected it in the post and added it here.

sudo apt install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso

Gmen2oo3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gmen2oo3 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:28 pm

thank you so much, that worked great. I am going to start looking into virtual box as a replacement for the VMware Worstation replacement. hopefully it is just as easy to manage and spin up virtual machines.

sgtor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgtor » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Happy to help, glad it worked for you. I think you'll find virtualbox works great.

The most important thing to do is make sure you increase the disk space during setup. I find their defaults can be too small sometimes. Just choose a dynamic hard drive and assign more space then you know you'll need. It will then only fill up as you add things to the VM.

Gmen2oo3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gmen2oo3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:43 am

sgtor, thanks for all your help. I been playing around with virtualbox and so far so good, I have been able to get a couple of virtual machines going (with some tryal and errors) but so far so good. again thanks for the help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”