Glitch Emptying Trash

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
nsivin
Level 3
Level 3

Glitch Emptying Trash

Post by nsivin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 pm

I am familiar with the Forums discussion on “How Do You Delete Trash Files in Linux Mint?" I am using a fully updated version of very. 180.04 Mate.

I have discovered a very large collection of foreign fonts that I deleted when I installed Mint, and that have been in the trash folder ever since. I used the Empty Trash button, but it had no effect at all. Nor can I manually delete the files one at a time.

This is probably a matter of permission. But “Linux in a Nutshell” has nothing in the index on emptying trash. How can I either change ownership or delete permission of Trash if that’s the problem, or give a bash command as a superuser that will get rid of everything in the Trash folder? Please keep in mind that I have no idea of the address of Trash on my computer.

Here is my setup:

End PC Noise custom AMD Fusion Media PC
AMD A8-3850 2.9GHz quad-core CPU
4GB Kingston PC3 RAM
2 Intel 520 series 120GB SATA III SSD
Dell 24” pivot monitor, normally used in portrait mode
Northgate Omnikey Ultra keyboard
Linux Mint 18 Mate
LibreOffice 5.1.6.2
------------------
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
nsivin@sas.upenn.edu
www.ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~nsivin

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Glitch Emptying Trash

Post by Flemur » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 pm

nsivin wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 pm
I have discovered a very large collection of foreign fonts that I deleted when I installed Mint, and that have been in the trash folder ever since. I used the Empty Trash button, but it had no effect at all. Nor can I manually delete the files one at a time.
Linux Mint 18 Mate
If you deleted system font files they were owned by root and so the trash probably is also.
You should also be able to empty the trash as root, or if not, navigate to the trash and literally delete the files from the trash folder:

Code: Select all

gksudo <browser>
Also look at

Code: Select all

sudo gvfs-trash --empty
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

nsivin
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Glitch Emptying Trash

Post by nsivin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:04 pm

That didn't do it. When I open caja as superuser and navigate to trash, I get a message that says the contents cannot be displayed. Indeed they can't, and the "empty trash" button is grayed out. And the command "sudo gvfs-trash --empty" doesn't do anything and returns no error message. What should I try next?
------------------
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
nsivin@sas.upenn.edu
www.ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~nsivin

Return to “Newbie Questions”