Changes from 17 to 19 not sure of how to fix

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darrenadelaide

Changes from 17 to 19 not sure of how to fix

Post by darrenadelaide »

Hi,

I am about to replace one of my machines ( I have 2 +1 new one in prep to replace #2) and have run up a new install. I have been using mint for about 3-4 years and it works extremely well. I have a little more experienced than most users having been a programmer/systems analyst for 25-30 years and having switched to linux since i retired am wondering why I didnt do it many years earlier.

I have the 3 machines on a local network which I use the linux remote desktop to switch between them and move files about using nemo.

Tara (19) is a little different in a number of matters and wondering how to get round. I have looked around at the forums and stackexchange/searched and havent had much luck in 2 main areas.

Firstly Vino just wont work, I have tried uninstalling it, auto removing, rebooting, then installing, rebooting etc (reminds me of windows) but no matter what i try I cant get it anywhere to allow me to connect to that machine, I have tried following the instructions in dconf editor but there is no org.gnome.vino settings at all, I have used this for many years (im the extended families help desk) and this is the first time ive had any issues. Is there a simple list of steps to install and get it running?

Second issue, is that I move files around between machines ( I have a project which creates files on one machine and I transfer to the other so I can do stuff with them), normally I simply right/centre click to move files in nemo but now all this does is copy not move.

Can anyone advise about these, I know the latest vino is an issue but others have got it working and wonder why I cant, it normally is so easy until now that is.

Best Regards
Darren
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Changes from 17 to 19 not sure of how to fix

Post by catweazel »

darrenadelaide wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:07 am Firstly Vino just wont work

Second issue, is that I move files around between machines ( I have a project which creates files on one machine and I transfer to the other so I can do stuff with them), normally I simply right/centre click to move files in nemo but now all this does is copy not move.
1) Many of the regulars here recommend the free for personal use TeamViewer. I use it, and it's very good.

2) I don't use nemo, so this is probably not the right answer, but have you tried cut then paste?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
darrenadelaide

Post by darrenadelaide »

Hi Catweazel,

Thank you for your reply.

I have used teamviewer in past however their security lapse meant i received so much spam and "credential verify links spam" at the time, and so really do not want to go down that road ever again, but more interested in if someone could provide steps to install vino.

Cut and paste does work but I am very used to drop and drag which now does not work how it used to, as I used to be able to drop drag across the network so easily ( something I do all the time), not sure why it was removed and hoping that someone can tell me what to do to return to functionality.

These are pretty basic functions and expect there is an easy answer.. i hope.

Thanks again

Darren
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have been using Teamviewer for years, and never had any security issues with it.

I like the File Transfer Mode that it provides, without having to log off and log back in.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

darrenadelaide wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:07 am Second issue, is that I move files around between machines ( I have a project which creates files on one machine and I transfer to the other so I can do stuff with them), normally I simply right/centre click to move files in nemo but now all this does is copy not move
Do you mean you are missing options in the right click context menu in Nemo?

If so a click on the little + sign on the first menu entry will reveal more. This toggle is sticky, you only need to do it once.

ImageImage
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
darrenadelaide

Post by darrenadelaide »

Hi Smurphos,

Thank you, this did the trick with vino/x11. I can finally move the computer under the desk now as I dont need to keep moving the keyboard&mouse continually between the computers now after following https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2334

The right click (rather than straight right click drag & drop ) is an even better solution than drag&drop as most of the files are being moved to a single location each time.

Thank you

Best Regards
Darren

Return to “Beginner Questions”