thunderbird- launcher creation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RSM12

thunderbird- launcher creation

Post by RSM12 »

Hi
I am on linux 19 cinamon edition.

I was having trouble using the installed version of thunderbird , when i installed the linux mint.
Hence, i downloaded the latest version 60.0
I have purged the previously installed thunderbird, before installing the new one.

however , while the setup went smooth, the only issue is - there was no launcher hence have to run thunderbird\thunderbird command in the terminal.
Everything is working very well.

How can i create a launcher , with icon- please help
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: thunderbird- launcher creation

Post by kyphi »

The current version of Thunderbird in Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon is 52.9.1.
The current version of Firefox in Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon is 61.0.1.

The commands you cited to invoke Thunderbird are not recognised in Linux.

To create a launcher, right click on your desktop screen and select "+ Create a new launcher here ..."
Into the "Name" field type Thunderbird
Into the "Command" field type thunderbird %u
Into the "Comment" field type Send and receive mail with Thunderbird

Left click on the red rocket icon, go to the pixmaps menu entry and locate the thunderbird.png icon and click on it, then click on OK.
Click the OK button in the Launcher Properties box.
You will be asked if you want to add this launcher to the menu where it will be placed into the Other category initially.
You now have an icon to invoke Thunderbird on your desktop as well as in "Other".

Open the "Other" category in your main menu, right click on Thunderbird and select the option Add to favourites and it will appear when you open the main menu. You can then drag and drop it to your preferred location.

You can also move the Thunderbird entry from "Other" to "Internet" using the Menu Editor (right click on your main menu and select configure).
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
RSM12

Re: thunderbird- launcher creation

Post by RSM12 »

Thank you so much @kyphi, problem solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”