"""RESOLVED"""MINT 19 virtually on MSWindows 10+ laptop ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
alton
Level 1
Level 1

"""RESOLVED"""MINT 19 virtually on MSWindows 10+ laptop ?

Post by alton » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:34 pm

I just received new LAPTOP FROM hp.COM. MS WIndows 10.+ (latest version of PITB) PAIN IN THE BUTT). LOL SO SORRY. (Lover not a fighter) hahahaha
IT INTERESTINGLY CAME WITH "UBUNTU". (it gave 2-3 step instructions to follow when switching back and forth between them)
shocked me!
ANYHOO, LINUX MINT has been recommended to me by over 1,000 contacts. SO...………. can I run "Linux MINT" virtually instead of UBUNTU?
HP standard type Laptop with MS Windows 10.x (latest version loaded)
intel 64bit 4x processor, 8gb ram, 128mb flash(new technology for hp) thingie to speed data flow to sata drive. 1TB disk. I have attachable Sata III SSD WD brand 500GB disk drive optional. but if I install Mint on external disk and tell PC to ask where to boot from. I am not sure MINT has device drivers for this laptop and hw components.

So I figured Mint Virtually in place of UBUNTU may be easier.. if possible.

Please Provide Guidance and Direction ALL WISE GURU's!!! Newbei Dewbie at your MERCY. lol (just enjoying life/smile ;}

If Mint has all the applications I need and I get used to environment as well as WIFEY. If you support running directly on PC I will gladly wipe WINDOWS 10 FROM PC COMPLETELY!
PS.. I am replacing all hardware at home with SBCs except this Laptop. Now running 2 SBC NAS/personal clouds. Getting another new SBC for me soon. RockPRO64 loaded (plus a raspberry pi to learn to code!)
Last edited by alton on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Re: MINT 19 virtually on MSWindows 10+ laptop ?

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:12 pm

I am successfully dual booting windows 10 and Mint . Windows is booted only once a 4 months on an average.
Yes, that's a n HP laptop
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:28 pm

First, welcome to the forums!

If I were you, I'd experiment with Ubuntu and see if you like it. There are many who do, and use it, sometimes in addition to other Linux flavors, namely Mint.

Here are some options:
  • Try Mint from a live DVD/USB flash drive and test it out for a while.
  • You could run Mint in a virtual machine from Windows or Ubuntu.
  • If you end up not liking Ubuntu, you could replace it with Mint
  • If you do like Ubuntu but also want Mint installed, you can partition some space and add Mint. Then you'd have a triple-boot machine.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:10 pm

I'll second Jerry's suggestion. Furthermore, if the machine *came* with Ubuntu, and it's a brand-new machine, there have likely been some additions/customizations made to ensure that everything works properly. That "128mb flash(new technology for hp) thingie" you mentioned sounds like it could be an Intel Optane device.... which would likely require some additional tweaking from default mint in order to make it work correctly.

You certainly *can* overwrite Ubuntu with Mint. We'd need to know a little more about your hardware to give you guidance - - for example, knowing whether the Ubuntu is installed as a dual-boot configuration or virtualized. But before you dive right into that, you really should try Mint on a live USB stick first to make sure that everything works as expected. There's nothing wrong with Ubuntu - after all, Mint is based on it - and until you're familiar enough with the hardware & how to get things working in Linux, it may be that trying to get all those presumed customizations working are more trouble than you want to get into.

alton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alton » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:47 am

THANKS DEEP,JERRY AND PALC.!

I just finished setting up 2 Odroid HC1s as NAS on my Router. Took me 2 1/2 days because of my Handicap issues. but I was determined.
That was my first time touching Linux environment. I used OpenMediaVault. I had some bugs to work out in set up.

As for Linux MINT. Jerry I will take your suggestion on UBUNTU first. I am a total NOOB to all this so even "switching back and forth between the Operating System environments is a big deal to me.

I wanted to paste some information I pulled from my Laptop regarding that. I wanted you all to see it. 1st part is 2-3 steps that sound easy but I have no idea how to do it properly.

Then I will paste 2nd reference of material for your viewing. Not sure what version of Windows any of you may be running but I have the newest I believe MS Windows v10-S they call it.

BOTTOM LINE FOR ME AS NOOB - I am a see and do learner. I don't understand something I have never done by written words. (I used two videos to set up my NAS and I froze video every 3-5 seconds to assure I didn't miss any step/setting/etc. lol (Thank God for the video)
I don't expect someone to create a video for switching between Windows and Ubuntu. However, either by Windows support or another source, someone talking me through windows screens to do KEY steps while switching and on Ubuntu side as well if needed in switching back, I will learn, do it correctly. Screen shots are very educational as I study them closely.

I definitely want to run Linux Mint. dying to! lol. I have a USB STICK.. HOW MUCH SPACE DO I NEED TO LOAD MINT? THEN, WHAT STEPS DO I NEED TO FOLLOW FOR LAPTOP TO BOOT FROM USB - STICK? (AFTER I GET SOMEONE TO GET ME ONTO UBUNTU AND I USE IT FOR A WEEK. I WILL WANT TO BOOT USING LINUX MINT (OR REPLACE UBUNTU IN THAT VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT WITH LINUX MINT AND HOPE IT WORKS WITH CURRENT HARDWARE)

SO, IF THERE ARE ANY "BRAVE TAKERS" ON WANTING TO ASSIST ME WITH FIRST SWITCH OVER TO UBUNTU OR YOU WANT ME TO CALL WINDOWS SUPPORT I UNDERSTAND.

I WILL BE COMING BACK FOR ASSISTANCE WITH LINUX MINT IN VIRTUAL OR AS A BOOT DRIVE. THAT SOUNDS AWESOME IF IT WORKS.

I AM FOREVER IN DEBTED TO WHATEVER DECISIONS ANY OF YOU MAKE REGARDING HELPING OR REDIRECTING ME I APPRECIATE IT ALL!! :D

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
PART 1 MATERIAL REFERENCE TO USING UBUNTU
Ubuntu access
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/WSL/about
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... tall-win10

Windows 10S does not support running this app.

To launch, use "ubuntu 1804" on the command line prompt (cmd.exe), or click on the ubuntu icon tile in the start menu.
---------KEY INFO HERE I THINK------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To use this feature, one first needs to use "Turn Windows features on or off" and select Windows Subsystem for Linux", click OK, reboot, and use this app.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above step can also be performed using "Administrator PowerShell Prompt:
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux

This app installs the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS release on Windows.

Please note that app updates don't change the Ubuntu installation. To upgrade a new release please run do-release-upgrade in the Ubuntu Terminal.

For more information about Windows Subsystem for Linux please visit:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows/WSL/about
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
2ND INFO REFERENCE FROM WEBSITE

The Windows Subsystem for Linux lets developers run GNU/Linux environment -- including most command-line tools, utilities, and applications -- directly on Windows, unmodified, without the overhead of a virtual machine.

You can:
1.Choose your favorite GNU/Linux distributions from the Windows Store.
2.Run common command-line free software such as grep, sed, awk, or other ELF-64 binaries.
3.Run Bash shell scripts and GNU/Linux command-line applications including: •Tools: vim, emacs, tmux
•Languages: Javascript/node.js, Ruby, Python, C/C++, C# & F#, Rust, Go, etc.
•Services: sshd, MySQL, Apache, lighttpd

4.Install additional software using own GNU/Linux distribution package manager.
5.Invoke Windows applications using a Unix-like command-line shell.
6.Invoke GNU/Linux applications on Windows.

Getting started
•Install Linux on Windows
•Visit the command reference
•Read frequently asked questions

Team Blogs
•Overview post with a collection of videos and blogs
•Command-Line blog (Active)
•Windows Subsystem for Linux Blog (Historical)

Posts & Articles
•Run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows
•Developers Can Run Bash And Usermode Ubuntu Linux Binaries On Windows 10
•Ubuntu on Windows – The Ubuntu Userspace for Windows Developers

Provide Feedback
•GitHub issue tracker
•Command-line UserVoice portal

lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lsemmens » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:20 am

Can you, at least give us the exact make and model of the computer? It will give the gurus some idea on how to advise you. Someone may have the exact same machine and be able to hold your hand. I've not seen an OEM dual boot machine since the days of Windwoes 3 and OS/2. The suggestion of running a live CD/USB of mint is a good one. BUT, if Ubuntu is pre-loaded, then there is an extremely good chance that it WILL WORK out of the box., so that might be your easiest/safest entrance to the world of Linux.
Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.7
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
Out of my mind - please leave a message

alton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alton » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:19 pm

hp laptop hardware detail order:

HP ENVY x360 - 15t Touch Laptop
Product number: 3EC87AV

•No DVD or CD Drive

•Intel® Core™ i5-8250U (1.6 GHz, up to 3.4 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)+Intel® UHD Graphics 620

•3-cell, 52.5 Wh Lithium-ion prismatic Battery

•Full-size island-style keyboard(Natural Silver)

•8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

•Intel® 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Gigabit Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 5 Combo

•HP Wide Vision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone (Natural Silver)

•15.6" diagonal FHD IPS WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (1920 x 1080)

•Windows 10 Home 64

•1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 16 GB PCIe® NVMe™ Intel® Optane™

•16 GB PCIe® NVMe™ Intel® Optane™

•Security Software Trial

•HP USB-C to RJ45 Adapter

•Microsoft® Office 365 Personal 1-year - Save $20 instantly

•HP Pen (natural silver)

Processing
Estimated ship date:
August 08, 2018

downloaded ubuntu button/app from Microsoft Store.

took steps as requested on Microsoft windows side. rebooted.
clicked ubuntu button and only got a small window for command prompt. I created root id as ALTON and created password.
cannot get UBUNTU APPLICATION TO BOOT AND RUN. GRRR. HP AND MICROSOFT REFUSED TO HELP. SO HERE I AM.

I AM HANDICAPPED AND MAY NEED A CALL OTP TO HELP RESOLVE STEP BY STEP IF SOMEONE IS WILLING.

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:32 pm

I may be off base, but by chance could you actually have the Windows 10 Linux subsystem? If that's the case, then you're dealing with a whole different situation than a virtual machine or dual-boot system.

I've never used it, but my understanding is that it's mostly limited to a terminal mode. I don't believe you'll have access to the Linux desktop environment - Ubuntu *or* Mint.

Not to say that it isn't possible to still set up Mint or a full Ubuntu distribution. My recommendation would be to set up a virtual machine. VirtualBox is a good choice, or VMWare also has a free "player" that will allow you to create a nice virtual environment in which to install a full Linux distribution. You'll then be able to fire up Linux with just a few clicks, and keep everything isolated from corrupting your Windows installation. But the question is whether or not you *can* do this - - in one of your posts, you mentioned "Windows 10 S". That is a restrictive version of Windows that won't allow you to install anything outside of the Windows store. Hyper-V may be an option, but I can't say for sure. This could take some research.

Can you find any other reference to whether or not you have "S-mode" or regular Windows 10? Perhaps in your system properties, or the output of msinfo32?

alton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alton » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:41 pm

AGAIN, MY HUMBLE, SINCERE THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR GUIDANCE AND DIRECTION!

I AM BACK IN THE SADDLE SO TO SPEAK.

Gentlemen, Sorry for delay.Wife was off work for 1 1/2 days after working 7 days straight for 8 months. Spent quality time with her. WHAT A BLESSING!

NOW BACK TO WHERE WE LEFT OFF:
****************************FACTS AND SOME SELF LOGIC (CORRECT ME IF WRONG ON LOGIC)************************************************************
The Ubuntu "ICON" in Microsoft store came with the above windows instructions to prepare windows to handle running UBUNTU.

There is nothing in BIOS to reference "Dual Boot" setup. So my assumption is, Ubuntu supposed to run in virtual window.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
********************************** MY TRIALS/TRIBULATIONS WHILE OFF LINE*********************************************************

Hillariiously, after time I was hung up on by Windows support. and that FREE 1YR SUPPORT FROM HP ON NEW MACHINES... WELL, THEY REFERRED ME TO MICROSOFT. LOL

I HAVE A SCHEDULED CALL WITH MICROSOFT ON A DIFFERENT ISSUE TOMORROW. (pAID HP FOR LICENSE FOR MS OFFICE BUT THEY DIDNT SEND KEY TO UNLOCK SOFTWARE. NOW THEY HAVE ME CHASING MICROSOFT FOR A KEY. I SENT MICROSOFT A COPY OF INVOICE THAT CLEARLY SHOWS I PURCHASED THE OFFICE PACKAGE FROM HP. LOL
***********************************************WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE ME NOW, AND WHAT STEPS I FEEL I CAN POSSIBLY TAKE FROM HERE***************************

RIGHT NOW. NO ACCESS TO UBUNTU. SO EITHER ONE OF TWO OPTIONS I FEEL. I BELIEVE UBUNTU IS VIRTUAL WINDOW (NOT TECHNICAL BUT NOTHING IN BIOS FOR DUAL BOOT AS I SAID EARLIER.
SO

1ST OPTION: -
IF I HAD {NEWBIE/NOOB PROOF} INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL IN VIRTUAL WINDOW THE MINT PRODUCT AND GET IT RUNNING , THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! (BUT I THINK I MAY HAVE TO CLEAR OUT STORAGE THAT HOLDS UBUNTU FOR VIRTUAL ACCESS FIRST, AGAIN I AM NOT TECHNICAL BUT WAS THINKING THAT HAS TO BE DONE BEFORE INSTALLING MINT FOR VIRTUAL ACCESS.

2ND OPTION. - CAN I INTALL MINT ON EXTERNAL SATA3 SSD 500GB VIA USB-C OR USB-3 AND RUN IT FROM THAT POINT? SET UP DUAL BOOT AND POINT TO THAT EXTERNAL DRIVE IN BIOS?
IF I CAN DO 2ND OPTION - CAN I USE ETCHER TO BURN TO THAT EXTERNAL SATA3 SSD 500GB DISK? (BYPASS USING USB STICK OR CD. (I DONT HAVE CD DRIVE ON LAPTOP AS YOU CAN SEE BY SPECS I LISTED ON PURCHASED MACHINE EARLIER.

OH ALMOST FORGOT! DO I NEED TO FORMAT THAT DRIVE BEFORE INSTALLING MINT? OR WILL ETCHER WHEN LOADING MINT FORMAT THE DRIVE PROPERLY FOR MINT ENVIRONMENT. {{ I KNOW ETCHER IS GOOD BUT DONT WANT TO ASSUME TO MUCH OF IT.}}

IF I NEED TO FORMAT SEPARATELY. WHAT PROGRAM CAN I RUN ON WINDOWS 10 TO FORMAT PROPERLY FOR MINT ENVIRONMENT?

IF BOOTABLE FROM USBC -SATA/SSD DRIVE /AND/ I CAN GET ETCHER TO BURN DIRECTLY TO IT FROM DOWNLOAD, THEN I WILL DO THAT TONIGHT! LOL

(I WILL NEED TO PARTITION THAT DRIVE ALSO, ROOM FOR MINT AND EXTRA SPACE FOR OTHER PROGRAMS TO RUN ON MINT (IF THEY INSTALL IN SAME AREA OR SEPARATELY) 1-2 PARTITIONS THERE. THEN SWAP PARTITION (RECOMMENDED SIZE TO RUN GOOD?), THEN LAST PARTITION CAN BE FOR FILES,DATA,PHOTO, ETC STORAGE. WHICH I WILL OFTEN BACKUP TO MY LINUX NAS ALREADY SET UP ON NETWORK.

if SPACE PROVES TIGHT ON 500GB. I CAN ATTACH 2ND SATA3 SSD 500GB DISK OFF USB3 PORT TO WRITE DOCUMENTS TO OR COPY OTHER TYPE ITEMS TO.
DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH SPACE MINT ITSELF TAKES THEN ATLEAST DOUBLE FOR OTHER APPLICATIONS. ADEQUATE SWAP SPACE....HMM. JUST THINKING OUT LOUD THERE.
OR DOES MINT HAVE ABILITY TO PARTITION DRIVE AFTER INSTALLED. THAT WOULD BE NICE.

********** I NEED MINT ON THIS LAPTOP SOME HOW***********

NOT RELATED BUT IMPORTANT - I HAVE 12YR OLD DESKSIDE FROM HP RUNNING WINDOWS PROFESSIONAL 7 HOME. 2 INTERNAL DRIVES (SCSI).

I THOUGHT ABOUT WIPING 2ND DRIVE 500GB AND INSTALLING MINT THERE.

SET UP BIOS TO DUAL BOOT OPTIONS TO SELECT TO WHICH DRIVE. (NEVER DONE IT BUT SHOULD BE EASY) FAMOUS LAST WORDS. HAHAHA
(I HAVE TO GO INTO WINDOWS7 AND PARTITION FIRST DRIVE (1TB) THEN CHANGE THE BACKUP INSTRUCTIONS TO BACKUP TO 1ST DRIVE/2ND PARTITION.
OR DISABLE THE BACKUP SOFTWARE FOR FILES ANYWAY. MAYBE BACKUP OS7 AFTER I FINISH CLEANING UP BAD UPDATES FROM IT RELOADING GOOD UPDATES. WINDOWS UPDATES KICKS OUT GARBAGE UPDATES SOME TIME THAT FAIL TO UPDATE BUT HOLD OFF FUTURE GOOD UPDATES. GO FIGURE.

I READ THAT MINT IS EXCELLENT FOR ASKING FOR DEVICE DRIVERS REQUIRED IF NEEDED.

WELL, IF YOU LEFT ME, (don't blame ya, lol) IF confused by this post sorry, ask whatever questions you need to get clarification.

I hope you can provide guidance and direction!

God Bless everyone!

Alton

lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lsemmens » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:03 am

A couple of suggestions, please don't use all CAPS excessively, it can be interpreted as SHOUTING, and we know that is not your intent.
It might be worth downloading a copy of MINT and installing it as a dual boot with your Windwoes. I suspect that ralplpcr may be on the money with the Ubuntu subsystem, which is an entirely different beast to Linux as an OS of its own.
Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.7
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
Out of my mind - please leave a message

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:10 pm

@ alton : So based on your above post, I do believe that you have the Ubuntu subsystem. This is most certainly *not* a full installation of Ubuntu - you can't download an Ubuntu "app" from the Microsoft store that will give you anything other than their subsystem. You'll have access to run commands in the bash environment, but not much more.

I'm going to stick with my earlier suggestion that the best path forward for you will be to set up a virtual machine.

In order to best advise you, can you please confirm whether or not you have "Windows 10 in S mode"? You should be able to find this by navigating to Control Panel -> System and Security -> System. What you're looking for is the Windows edition - - as shown in the image below:
noSmode.jpg

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Post by deepakdeshp » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:35 pm

Anything is possible.
Set up a virtual machine.
Or
Install 2 os on the same partitions.
Or
Install 2 os on 2 different disks.
Please make up your mind, so that we can guide accordingly
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Newbie Questions”