[SOLVED]Model Railroader Noob to Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TKDave

[SOLVED]Model Railroader Noob to Linux

Post by TKDave »

Recent Linux Mint Cinnamon convert (yesterday) looking to install XTRACKCAD. I used to use it with Windows. I tried a few times with no success. I read through this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158

I looked in Software Manager ... not there. Got to section 2 and I found it in Lauchpad, but with this message: Xtrkcad does not have any download files registered with Launchpad. The entire rest of the post kind of went right over my head, so I can use a little guidance.

I'm hoping that someone could tell me if it's possible to install XTRACKCAD. Here's the link to their page: http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/CurrentRelease

And if so, where do I start?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Model Railroader Noob to Linux

Post by Flemur »

I would download
http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/CurrentRelease
"self-extracting install script (32 Bit)"
or, more likely,
"self-extracting install script (64 Bit)"
and then run it - first as NOT root/sudo:

Code: Select all

sh xtrkcad-setup-5.1.1-1.x86_64.sh
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
TKDave

Post by TKDave »

I have no idea at all what you're telling me to do, nor how to do it.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

TKDave wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:29 pm I have no idea at all what you're telling me to do, nor how to do it.
Oh.
- Download the 32 or 64 bit .sh file that matches your 32 or 64 bit system.
- It should end up in $HOME/Downloads (or "Download"?)
- Open a terminal, type

cd Downloads
sh xtrkcad-setup-5.1.1-1.x86_64.sh
(Or

sh xtr*.sh
the "*" expands to files that are present.
TKDave

Post by TKDave »

I shall attempt that in the morning. Thanks!
TKDave

Post by TKDave »

OK, that worked to unpack the files into the download directory in it's own folder, but I got an error when trying to open the software. I did find a readme file and it says to install like this:

./xtrkcad-setup-4.4.0beta1.x86_64.sh --prefix=/usr/local --exclude-subdir

This will install the executable in /usr/local/bin. A directory named
xtrkcad will be created in /usr/local/share and all files will be
unpacked into it.

Didn't work, so I tried:

sh xtr*.sh --prefix=/usr/local --exclude-subdir

This attempted to work, but I got a pile of errors, mostly saying: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied.
TKDave

Post by TKDave »

My first Linux software installation! I ended up figuring out how to use Package Manager. Now, let's see if the software works!
TKDave

Post by TKDave »

XTRACKCAD works!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: [SOLVED]Model Railroader Noob to Linux

Post by lsemmens »

Well done! Don't you love it when a plan comes together!:D Enjoy your new operating system and your hobby!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

TKDave wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:14 amMy first Linux software installation! I ended up figuring out how to use Package Manager. Now, let's see if the software works!
Yup, it's in the repositories! I should've suggested that you check there before messing with that install script.

Edit:
Cannot mkdir: Permission denied.
Just FYI, that was somewhat expected; you need to be root/sudo to install to the OS, but some programs can and do install to a users directory.
TKDave

Post by TKDave »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:31 am Well done! Don't you love it when a plan comes together!:D Enjoy your new operating system and your hobby!
Thanks! This all stems from a Windows 10 upgrade that failed and rendered my laptop useless and Dell offered no help without paying them for something that Microsoft caused. Y'all probably know this story well as I'm sure it's played out thousands of times for others.
TKDave

Post by TKDave »

Flemur wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:04 am
TKDave wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:14 amMy first Linux software installation! I ended up figuring out how to use Package Manager. Now, let's see if the software works!
Yup, it's in the repositories! I should've suggested that you check there before messing with that install script.

Edit:
Cannot mkdir: Permission denied.
Just FYI, that was somewhat expected; you need to be root/sudo to install to the OS, but some programs can and do install to a users directory.
What's a repository?

I downloaded the version of XTRACKCAD that you recommended and located with Package Manager, and BOOM! Up and running!

I'm treating my old lappy to a new battery and this will be my on-the-go machine.

Thanks again y'all!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

The repository is something you stick up your.........oops, that's a suppository. Seriously, the repositories are where Synaptic and other package managers obtain their software, like a library.
Fully mint Household
TKDave

Post by TKDave »

Where is this repository?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

When you open "Software Manager" or Synaptic you automatically connect to the official repositories (sort of like the app store in Android) you can also connect to other "non canonical" (i.e. not official - like shareware sites of old) repositories, too. Basically, they are just places where you get your applications from.
Fully mint Household
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

There's a good tutorial on installing software here:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158

With a few exceptions, it is best to install from the standard Mint repositories you will find in Software Manager or Synaptic. (I always use Synaptic, but people tell me Software Manager is easier for newcomers to Linux. Mostly a matter of personal preference, both do the same thing.)
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

TKDave wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:37 pmI downloaded the version of XTRACKCAD that you recommended and located with Package Manager, and BOOM! Up and running!
That's great! It also might be a bit unusual for non-standard, non-repository software.

Here's a repository:
http://packages.linuxmint.com/
Click aruond on some stuff and you'll get into the package-name.deb files; those are the files software is installed from, like a windows .msi installer file (but not really, .deb is more like a .zip file with extra information).

Return to “Beginner Questions”