mint-screenshot autosave + no dialogue-box !

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Vilsen
Level 1
Level 1

mint-screenshot autosave + no dialogue-box !

Post by Vilsen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:24 am

I have been searching many years on the "web" but cant't find the answer to HOW TO configure/ make
mint-screenshot - wich is implemented when hitting PRTSC-key - without the annoying and meaningless
dialogue-box. I want it to work exactly like it did in Ubuntu 12 Classic desktop and in some version of KALI -linux
except the ridiculous "flash" that appears in KALI.

It can't be impossible to fix. Please : does someone know ????

I just want to hit the PRTSC-key and automatically a capture is made of the whole screen without the mouse pointer of course.

No questions asked - just AUTOSAVE it to the directory I have choosen in some textfile/configfile/ whatever... /Desktop /pictures ..
doesn't matter really.

I rarely use the alt-prtsc option to capture just the active window so I can live without that option also.

Please...someone.

VILSEN !

intelquadcore_joe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: mint-screenshot autosave + no dialogue-box !

Post by intelquadcore_joe » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:44 am

Hi!

I use Mint 18.3 Xfce, so I don't know if these packages are available to you if you're on Mint 19. But you could try the program scrot.

I use this small script that I wrote instead of the default xfce-screenshooter:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

notify="true"
directory="$HOME/Pictures/Screenshots/scrot"
icon="/usr/share/icons/Vivacious-Colors/apps/scalable/gnome-screenshot.svg"

sleep .2 && scrot -z "$directory/scrot-$(date +'%Y%m%d-%H%M%S.%N').png"
retval="$?"

if [ "$notify" = "true" ]; then
    case "$retval" in
        0) notify-send -t 2000 -i "$icon" "Screenshot taken!" "Saved in '$directory'" ;;
        *) notify-send -t 2000 -i "$icon" "Could not take screenshot!" ;;
    esac
fi

Save this to your "$HOME/bin", make it executable, and set up a keyboard shortcut to use the script when you press the PrtSc-key :)
If you don't want notification set notify=false in the script. Change the variable directory to your preferred directory (make sure it exists).

To install what you need for this script:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install scrot libnotify-bin
Hope you can find use for this :)
- for me Linux Mint brought back the Fun in Computing

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by karlchen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:53 am

Hello, Vilsen.

Which desktop environment do you use? Mate? xfce? KDE?

I ask, because Cinnamon brings along gnome-screenshot. Its default behaviour is exactly as you want to have it. Your press <PrtScr>, and gnome-screenshot will capture the whole screen and write it to a .png image file in the directory $HOME/Pictures.

By the way, it is exactly this behaviour, which I do not want and which I need extremely rarely. I prefer the screenshot application to display the useless dialogue box, because in most cases I want to create a screenshot of a part of the screen only. And I like to be able to specify the filename which will be used.

Maybe scrot, which has been recommended in the post above, will be the right application for you, irrespective of your desktop environment.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.1 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Vilsen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vilsen » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:58 am

Hi all you helpful people ! Well I use MATE because I find it the most effective Desktop Environment and easy to customize also.

I did get into Linux-users-world by Ubuntu 2007/8 sometime and I think Ubuntu 8 whas the first installation I did .

By the time Ubuntu 12 (or it could have been 11 ??) I suddenly with happiness discovered that my so often used ingenious
handy utility that I had been without from 1984 when my first PC was bought until and during all these horrible years
of distress and misery caused by MS WINDOWS
did work the way I liked: PRESS PRTSCR and in the background without annoying dialoguebox autosaved screencapture
with timestamp in my chosen directory.

If it should be JPG or PNG I don't know but I figure it doesn't matter really.

Someone said: SCROT , someone said : GNOME-SCREENSHOT ; Why can't I modify the MINT-SCREENSHOT I already have ??

BEST REG: VILSEN I PANNKAKAN

Vilsen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vilsen » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:03 am

Question to KARL:

I did not understand whether you thought I should switch to cinnamon or if you could use or install gnome-screenshot
with or instead of the current MINT screenshot?

Return to “Newbie Questions”