Canon Printer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DouglasH

Canon Printer

Post by DouglasH »

Hi after a few months I finally decided to give Linux another try. This I installed on an old NEC Versa laptop that was only able to run Windows XP. Over a period of months the XP drivers started to get a bit flaky, so in with Linux Mint Cinammon 18.3. So far happy with the way things have gone, but as a I use a Canon TS5000 printer with my other Windows machines I am having a heck of a struggle trying to install drivers etc for this printer. I can get Mint to reconize the printer but when you try to select the appropiate unit in the driver list, nothing shows only a suggested one which will not work.
Any one got any ideas?/ if so would appreciate them..

Many thanks
Douglas
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Canon Printer

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
DouglasH

Post by DouglasH »

Thanks for the links. Will investigate to morrow. The model number is TS5060 which Canon refers to as it's TS5000 series.
Thanks
Douglas
DouglasH

Post by DouglasH »

Had a browse through the links, this morning. The only one that looks hopeful is the one refering to Ubunto. Question which version of that should I use??
My version on Mint is as follows. Linix Mint 18.2 "Sonya" Cinnamon 32bit. Version 3.4.3
I tried to install a driver from the Canon site, but failed dismally!! To used to Windows click and install, so I now have a interesting learning curve..
Many thanks
Douglas
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Mint 18.x is based on Ubuntu 16.04.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
DouglasH

Post by DouglasH »

Finally got the drivers installed for the printer, last night. Unfortunately the instruction I were pointed to did not work. What I did was double clicked on the extracted file, which immediately bought up the Terminal file with every thing ready to start. Followed the instructions from that point on and all went according plan.
I not sure whether I was not doing things correctly or not at the start, I suspect I was. Any way all good now!!

Douglas

Return to “Beginner Questions”