gpg: BAD signature when verifying sha256sum.txt

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lntegrity

gpg: BAD signature when verifying sha256sum.txt

Post by lntegrity »

I am currently trying to verify my Linux Mint ISO. I began with downloading the ISO from one of their Mirrors and then continued with downloading the verification files.

The problem I stumbled upon was when I did the Integrity check. I used the terminal with the commands explained in their guide on "How to verify ISO images" and received the sha256 sum. When I compared the sum with the text document the two didn't match. So, I continued with an authenticity check of the text document. First, I imported the signing key. Then I checked the fingerprint of the signing key and it matched with the fingerprint found in the guide. But when I tried to verify the authenticity of the text document I received
gpg: BAD signature from "Linux Mint ISO Signing Key <root@linuxmint.com>" [unknown]

What am I supposed to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: gpg: BAD signature when verifying sha256sum.txt

Post by Mute Ant »

Bad Signature can be simply that you have not told GPG to trust signature 'X'. It won't improve the download though. I would ignore the Signature for now and concentrate on getting your ISO image the same as everyone else's.
  • The bit-torrent system can correct a bad download if you use it like this...
    o Save the torrent magnet link to your Downloads folder.
    o Start the torrent system so a full-sized ISO appears.
    o Close the torrent program.
    o Replace the big-but-virtually-empty file with your Will-Not-Verify ISO using exactly the same name.
    o Start the torrent program again. Force a 'Check Local Data' on the download if it doesn't do it automatically.
    o Wait for the torrent to complete the checksummed download.
A large bit-torrent is split into hundreds of fragments fetched from any peer that offers, so checksums and verification are built-in to any torrent download. If you were to offer a damaged ISO as an upload, other peers would reject fragments that didn't match the original.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

lntegrity wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:20 pm The problem I stumbled upon was when I did the Integrity check. I used the terminal with the commands explained in their guide on "How to verify ISO images" and received the sha256 sum. When I compared the sum with the text document the two didn't match. So, I continued with an authenticity check of the text document. First, I imported the signing key. Then I checked the fingerprint of the signing key and it matched with the fingerprint found in the guide. But when I tried to verify the authenticity of the text document I received
gpg: BAD signature from "Linux Mint ISO Signing Key <root@linuxmint.com>" [unknown]

What am I supposed to do?
Sounds like your sha256sum.txt is bad. Download it again from this link: https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint ... 256sum.txt (right click, "Save link as"). Pay attention to how your browser saves it, it's possible that you still had an old version in that folder and when you downloaded again it appended an (1) to the name, so when you then verified the signature you actually checked the wrong file.

Under no circumstances should you install the .iso if it doesn't match the checksum.
Mute Ant wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:52 pm Bad Signature can be simply that you have not told GPG to trust signature 'X'.
Not quite, those are separate things. If you didn't trust the key then the output looks like this:

Code: Select all

gpg: Good signature from "Linux Mint ISO Signing Key <root@linuxmint.com>" [unknown]
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
The "Good signature" part is imperative though, this must never say "Bad signature".
Last edited by gm10 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lntegrity

Post by lntegrity »

Mute Ant wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:52 pm
I'm not sure that's the cause. When I manually compare the ISO generated SHA256 it's not the same as the text document. The difference is the whole sum:

lmde-3-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso:
06e651f08520f7113c3d2dab07a0f17cd01130a53e01adbd336e74af811a14b6 *lmde-3-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso
sha256.txt:
a48133b97ae6c0ce906edcd883d2c41e0a5927caae8ce159d51ad68cd7781841 *lmde-3-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso
gm10 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:11 pm
Thanks :) But this one doesn't include lmnd. Should had specified which edition I got.

Where can I find more mirrors?
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Digest functions like MD5SUM and SHA256SUM are designed so that each bit in the file affects around 50% of the bits in the digest. That makes it very difficult to get a correct digest by accident. If the digest of your ISO file is wrong, you can't expect to use it for installation. The digest alone can't estimate the extent of the damage. If your ISO is the same as everyone else's, the digest will match, perfectly.

As a quick test you can Google a48133b97ae6c0ce906edcd883d2c41e0a5927caae8ce159d51ad68cd7781841 which shows several relevant 'Cindy' hits... that's what you are supposed to get.
Last edited by Mute Ant on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

lntegrity wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:37 pm When I manually compare the ISO generated SHA256 it's not the same as the text document. The difference is the whole sum:

lmde-3-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso:
06e651f08520f7113c3d2dab07a0f17cd01130a53e01adbd336e74af811a14b6 *lmde-3-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso
sha256.txt:
a48133b97ae6c0ce906edcd883d2c41e0a5927caae8ce159d51ad68cd7781841 *lmde-3-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso
I can confirm that the hash from your sha256sum.txt that you posted is correct. That means that your download is corrupt. Download it again, best using another mirror or the torrent: https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=259
lntegrity wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:37 pm Thanks :) But this one doesn't include lmnd. Should had specified which edition I got.
Yep, this one's on you because you're actually posting in the wrong forum. We've got a separate forum section for LMDE3, this here is for Ubuntu based Linux Mint so naturally I gave you the link pertaining to that. ;)
lntegrity

Post by lntegrity »

gm10 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:53 pmYep, this one's on you because you're actually posting in the wrong forum. We've got a separate forum section for LMDE3, this here is for Ubuntu based Linux Mint so naturally I gave you the link pertaining to that. ;)
My bad :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone for the answers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”