Encrypting dual-boot Linux/Windows

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Black Noise
Level 1
Level 1

Encrypting dual-boot Linux/Windows

Post by Black Noise » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:09 am

Lately, I've been looking into a solution to encrypting dual-boot systems.

I have Linux Mint and Windows 7 installed together in a single hard drive.
I had Windows installed first but as I was installing Mint, I couldn't encrypt the partition if I'm adding it alongside Windows - isn't that a shame.

So I've been looking into some other methods of encrypting Linux post-install and so far, the methods I've found involve using dm-crypt and/or cryptsetup and completely erasing all the data in my Linux partition to do it.

Thankfully, I've backed up all the data using the app Timeshift - but am I doing it right?
Can I also just copy the entire file directory and paste it into the newly encrypted system?

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Encrypting dual-boot Linux/Windows

Post by fabien85 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:25 am

If it's your personal folder (/home/username) that you want to encrypt, it's possible to do it during the installation : just check the box "encrypt my home folder" (at the step where you choose your username and password). It's also possible to do it after install, see this guide : https://www.howtogeek.com/116032/how-to ... ng-ubuntu/
There are two drawbacks to home encryption :
- it's a bit slower than full system encryption, and due to a bug in systemd your home folder stays decrypted if you switch to another user
- dropbox doesnt comply with ecryptfs so you will have to move it to an unencrypted location

For the so-called full disk encryption (I dont understand why it's called like that personally), the installer doesnt provide an option to do it in a dual-boot. And I dont know a way to do it after install.
It's possible to do it manually during installation, following this guide : https://askubuntu.com/questions/293028/ ... 029#293029
Be warned it's rather complicated and you have to be at ease with the terminal. It's best to test the steps in a virtual machine first.

Return to “Newbie Questions”