Magic SysRq key thoughts

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Magic SysRq key thoughts

Post by JoeFootball »

Terryphi wrote:
JoeFootball wrote:
As an alternate option, hold down Alt + SysRq, and type r e i s u o, waiting a second or two between keystrokes. This will (usually) shutdown your computer cleanly, and preserve your file system.

More info here and here.

Joe
My keyboard has a left Alt key and on the right is an AltGr key. Alt and SysRq are too far apart to hold together with one hand.
Yes, the key combination isn't quite convenient for one's fingers. I believe my technique is to hold my left Alt with my left thumb and pivot to key the letters on the left side of the keyboard, and do similar with the SysRq key and my right hand with the right side keys somehow. It's been a while since I've actually done this. I'm sure military weapons systems are initiated with less gymnastics. :)
Terryphi wrote:Is it possible to use AltGr + SysRq?
I don't know, as I don't seem to have an AltGr key. Why not close all your open applications, and try it to find out? :)

Joe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Magic SysRq key thoughts

Post by gm10 »

Was this meant to go into another thread? You only need to hold down Alt btw.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

gm10 wrote:Was this meant to go into another thread?
Moved from another thread as was off-topic.
gm10 wrote:You only need to hold down Alt btw.
And not the SysRq key?

Joe
gm10

Post by gm10 »

JoeFootball wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:59 am
gm10 wrote:You only need to hold down Alt btw.
And not the SysRq key?
You still need to press it initially, but only Alt needs to remain held down while you type the rest.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

gm10 wrote:You still need to press it initially, but only Alt needs to remain held down while you type the rest.
Great tip! I didn't know that. I'll have to give it a try when the occasion presents itself.

Joe
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

Thanks both. That is easy.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."

Return to “Beginner Questions”