Added user - no main menu - can do nothing[SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enfoprefect
Level 2
Level 2

Added user - no main menu - can do nothing[SOLVED]

Post by enfoprefect »

After getting Mint 19 installed on my wife's laptop yesterday with myself as user, all seems to be all right. Then I added her as a user which seemed to go all right too. But, when I log in to her account, the task bar is empty, no way to access then menu or anything so can't even log out. There is a stripe at the bottom of the screen that looks like a task bar but it is completely blank and nothing changes when moving the mouse into it. I have looked at the account settings and they are identical to mine. What am I missing here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Added user - no main menu - can do nothing

Post by gm10 »

In case of doubt first thing to try is to delete the second user account, when it asks select to delete all files along with it (assuming you didn't put anything you want to keep into her home folder yet), and create it anew, without touching any settings. Log into it to see if it works.
enfoprefect
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Added user - no main menu - can do nothing

Post by enfoprefect »

Thank you gm10. That was too easy. I should have thought of it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”