Logical Volume Management?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trope
Level 4
Level 4

Logical Volume Management?

Post by trope »

I am going to install Mint 19 (Tara) on a laptop and I'm not clear on if I should use LVM? I believe it has 1 HD. I will use virtualbox and Windows 7 from within Mint, so not planning on using a dual boot. 4 GB RAM, but may upgrade it to 8 GB. >500 GB HD. Will encrypt the laptop.

Right now I am using 17.1 on a different laptop (250 GB HD), but will do a fresh install, install the applications I want, and then am planning on transferring my home directory from this laptop to the new one.

Not sure even what are the considerations for whether to use LVM.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Logical Volume Management?

Post by catweazel »

trope wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:48 pm ...laptop ... LVM?
Leave it alone. LVM is used to create logical volumes from multiple physical volumes or entire hard disks. It absolutely has no reasonable purpose on a single HDD slot laptop. If you were building a server then it'd be a different story.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
trope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by trope »

I made a mistake it has a 700 GB HDD and a 100 GB SSD, but based on your response presumably the answer is the same?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

trope wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:28 am I made a mistake it has a 700 GB HDD and a 100 GB SSD, but based on your response presumably the answer is the same?
Yes, it's the same :)

LVM only complicates matters, and with a mechanical disk and an SSD, you'll end up losing some of the benefits of the SSD.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Beginner Questions”