Trouble with repositories

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
smifrt
Level 1
Level 1

Trouble with repositories

Post by smifrt » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:48 am

I recently asked for help putting a slide show together with jpg's. One of the many helpful replies advised updating the Nvidia drivers and gave me the scripts to use at the terminal unfortunately and coincidentally this appears to have broken the graphics card and I am currently tracing the specific fault.
To carry on with a computer I have pressed into action a notebook. The notebook is 32 bit and I wanted to install the Palemoon browser, previously when I installed to the desktop I used a script from the palemoon website to install a particular repository - "sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ntu_17.04/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:stevenpusser.list"". . This script was rejected and I determined that there was a misprint. I corrected the script and it still rejected it.
The computer update manager now states "Could not refresh the list of updates" "The repository 'http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... untu_17.04 Release" does not have a Release file". If I launch the update manager from the 'Welcome screen" it returns machine is up to date with a large tick. However when I return to the notebook after a suspend operation, or restart, the update shield has a red cross in it.
Can anyone help please?

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Trouble with repositories

Post by Sir Charles » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:37 am

Putting

Code: Select all

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xBuntu_17.04
in the adressbar of my browser gets me to:
Resource is no longer available!
The requested URL is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. If you followed a link from a foreign page, please contact the author of this page.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
download.opensuse.org
Apache/2.4.23 (Linux/SUSE)
You might want to try other repositories from

Code: Select all

https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Astevenpusser&package=palemoon
depending on the version of the Mint you are running (LM 19 --> Ubuntu 18.04; LM 18 --> Ubuntu 16.04)
Or just Grab binary package directly.
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

smifrt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smifrt » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:51 pm

No luck with that there is some trouble with accepting scripts, may have to reload OS.

smifrt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smifrt » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Have reloaded an OS however not before more problems with a flat CMOS battery this took a long time to diagnose, and then my disc with Mint 18.3 had a scratch which took a longer time to diagnose so had to fall back to 18.1 version. Now I have to load all the backups and start again.

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ZakGordon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:21 am

For palemoon i just download the .deb package and double click that to run it's installer.

For the repositories (sometimes you might have one that is 'down' or not verified the downloads etc) i just click on the update manager shield and then Edit>Software Sources which takes me to the screen to change where things are getting downloaded from.

This all works 100% of the time, no typing (or typing errors) needed :)
Laptop overheating issues? Check link below:
TLP

Return to “Newbie Questions”