[SOLVED] [LM19 MATE] Backlight Setting Resets

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WISEGUYTR

[SOLVED] [LM19 MATE] Backlight Setting Resets

Post by WISEGUYTR »

Just installed clean LM19MATE.

The background lights keep on forgetting it's setting after each reboot and suspend/wakeup. I have to manually open the Power Manager and click on the percentage bar to make it "remember". As a quick workaround I added the LCD Brightness applet to the command bar, but the problem still exists.

Code: Select all

System:   Host: MATE Kernel: 4.15.0-32-generic x86_64 bits: 64
              Desktop: MATE 1.20.1  Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ProBook 4530s v: A0001D02 serial: N/A
              Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 167C v: KBC Version 22.26 serial: N/A
              BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68SRR Ver. F.63 date: 04/06/2017
Battery   BAT0: charge: 38.7 Wh 100.0% condition: 38.7/38.7 Wh (100%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M (-MT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
              clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 810 MHz 2: 805 MHz 3: 817 MHz
              4: 852 MHz
Graphics:Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Integrated Graphics Controller
              Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) driver: intel
              Resolution: 1366x768@60.03hz
              OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile
              version: 3.3 Mesa 18.0.5
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: [LM19 MATE] Backlight Setting Resets

Post by gm10 »

Run this (it likely won't produce any output):

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
Log out and back in or reboot to see if that fixed it.
WISEGUYTR

Post by WISEGUYTR »

gm10 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:23 am Run this (it likely won't produce any output):

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
Log out and back in or reboot to see if that fixed it.
Tried it, but when it wakes up from suspend, it's the same. The brightness sets to max.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Hmm, no idea why it wouldn't save then. You could script it to be set automatically I guess.

Set your brightness to what you want it to be. Then run this

P=/sys/class/backlight/*/brightness;find $P;cat $P
It should output exactly one path and one number. If it outputs anything else then post the output and don't continue with the next step.

Otherwise run this:

P=/sys/class/backlight/*/brightness;T=/etc/rc.local;printf "echo $(cat $P) > $(find $P)\n"|sudo tee $T;sudo chmod +x $T
Reboot and see if it works on boot. If it does we'll also script it upon resume.
WISEGUYTR

Post by WISEGUYTR »

It actually saves it, but for some reason it forgets to check it after suspend. I mean when I look at the Power Settings, I see that it is in the set position after wake up from suspend. When I click on the bar to tune the brightness, it suddenly "remembers it".

I am wondering if there's some other place to set the brightness than this one.
WISEGUYTR

Post by WISEGUYTR »

gm10 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:22 am Hmm, no idea why it wouldn't save then. You could script it to be set automatically I guess.

Set your brightness to what you want it to be. Then run this

P=/sys/class/backlight/*/brightness;find $P;cat $P
It should output exactly one path and one number. If it outputs anything else then post the output and don't continue with the next step.

Otherwise run this:

P=/sys/class/backlight/*/brightness;T=/etc/rc.local;printf "echo $(cat $P) > $(find $P)\n"|sudo tee $T;sudo chmod +x $T
Reboot and see if it works on boot. If it does we'll also script it upon resume.
The results I get are :

/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ah, one of those situations. Can you try the following, run this from a terminal:

xed admin:///etc/default/grub
In the editor that pops up, authenticate then find the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line and add acpi_backlight=none so that it looks something like this

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=none"
(and potentially more parameters if you had already added your own)

Save the file, run

sudo update-grub
and after a reboot your backlight might work correctly. It's also possible you'll lose backlight control completely though. Let me know.
WISEGUYTR

[SOLVED] Re: [LM19 MATE] Backlight Setting Resets

Post by WISEGUYTR »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:17 am Ah, one of those situations. Can you try the following, run this from a terminal:

xed admin:///etc/default/grub
In the editor that pops up, authenticate then find the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line and add acpi_backlight=none so that it looks something like this

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=none"
(and potentially more parameters if you had already added your own)

Save the file, run

sudo update-grub
and after a reboot your backlight might work correctly. It's also possible you'll lose backlight control completely though. Let me know.
OM(F)G....I dont believe it ! After searching for a solution for over 2 months, you seem to have found the solution.! Thank you so much for your help !

Now my grub line looks like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="elevator=deadline quiet splash video.use_native_backlight=0 acpi_backlight=none"
gm10

Re: [SOLVED] Re: [LM19 MATE] Backlight Setting Resets

Post by gm10 »

WISEGUYTR wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:45 pm OM(F)G....I dont believe it ! After searching for a solution for over 2 months, you seem to have found the solution.! Thank you so much for your help !
Glad to hear that, you are quite welcome. :)
justletitgo4ever

Re: [SOLVED] Re: [LM19 MATE] Backlight Setting Resets

Post by justletitgo4ever »

gm10 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:55 pm
WISEGUYTR wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:45 pm OM(F)G....I dont believe it ! After searching for a solution for over 2 months, you seem to have found the solution.! Thank you so much for your help !
Glad to hear that, you are quite welcome. :)
Hi gm10,

I have exact the same problem, after reboot and resume from sleep, backlight always reset to max. I follow the above instruction you given, but still not working for both reboot and resume. I am using LM 19 XFCE though. What else should I try? Thanks and happy new year!

Return to “Beginner Questions”