Messed up the drivers and now can only run in fallback mode

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MaGiC

Messed up the drivers and now can only run in fallback mode

Post by MaGiC »

Hi. I recently had a problem with Steam and figured that I should reinstall my Nvidia driver. I have done many things and now when I boot normally, my screen freezes. When I run in recovery mode, it shows an error message saying that Cinnamon has crashed and is now running in fallback mode. I may have messed up the drivers quite a bit because when I ran the Driver Manager it said that I was using an alternative, manually installed driver and wouldn't let me change it to nouveau or nvidia-384. Then I tried to install the Nvidia driver once more and it currently shows as nvidia-384 is selected. But still I can't boot normally and can only use fallback mode even in recovery mode.

I tried to reconfigure my Nvidia driver multiple times and used autoremove at some point to delete a few packages (when I tried to remove nvidia-284 it said that it wasn't installed). Then I downloaded a file named "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.77.run" from Nvidia's website and disabled x server in order to install it. At installation it asked me if it should configure Nvidia xconfig to start the x server in boot and I said no. After that I tried to boot normally it froze in a black screen(not pitch black) and started blinking every few seconds. I am using the computer from fallback mode ever since and I still can't boot normally. It doesn't blink anymore, just freezes.

If there was a way that I could reset the drivers back to whatever they were, that would be great. Because I think I might have messed up the nouveau too. Please help me fix it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Messed up the drivers and now can only run in fallback mode

Post by Joe2Shoe »

OpenGL & Mesa upgrades will cause a "fallback mode" on one of my laptops. I must use OpenGL v1.4, upgrading to v2.1+ fubars the laptop.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
MaGiC

Re: Messed up the drivers and now can only run in fallback mode

Post by MaGiC »

I gave up and formatted my file system. Even now I cannot login. It just gives a black screen with cursor after I type my password. It is driving me crazy.

Edit: I can log in normally now but still, I had to reinstall my entire system because of a driver. Anyway, I don't need immediate help any more but I still wonder why all of that happened.

Return to “Beginner Questions”