[Solved] Understanding Linux Mint Releases

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
walterdowis
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Understanding Linux Mint Releases

Post by walterdowis »

Hi all, I just installed Linux Mint Version 19. I would like to read a documentation or website on Mint's releases to so I can better understand them: what the release sequence numbers mean, the release number and it relationship to being a normal or long time support release, the time differences between a normal and long time support releases, and so on. Could someone point me in the direction of a document or website that will help me understand Linux Mint releases and to be able to predict what's coming next and when? Thanks.
Last edited by walterdowis on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Understanding Linux Mint Releases

Post by Pjotr »

Unlike Ubuntu, Mint has no short-lived "normal" releases. Mint only has long term support releases (LTS). :)

The underlying code base for Mint is always Ubuntu LTS. Mint 17.x has Ubuntu 14.04 LTS as code base, for Mint 18.x that's Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and for Mint 19.x that's Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
Last edited by Pjotr on Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

I'm not sure about any document but I can summarize it for you:

Linux Mint only comes in the form of LTS releases. Version numbers are sequential. Since Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu LTS releases, the release cycle depends on theirs. In practical terms that means a new Linux Mint version is released every 2 years, so you will get Linux Mint 20 in 2020.

Linux Mint will provide optional interim updates as so-called "point releases" which usually come with a new default kernel and feature updates to some software packages. These can be installed via the built-in Update Manager.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

walterdowis wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:59 am
Could someone point me in the direction of a document or website that will help me understand Linux Mint releases and to be able to predict what's coming next and when? Thanks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Min ... on_history

There's a very good table there that explains it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

gm10 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:12 am
Linux Mint only comes in the form of LTS releases. Version numbers are sequential. Since Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu LTS releases, the release cycle depends on theirs. In practical terms that means a new Linux Mint version is released every 2 years, so you will get Linux Mint 20 in 2020.

Linux Mint will provide optional interim updates as so-called "point releases" which usually come with a new default kernel and feature updates to some software packages. These can be installed via the built-in Update Manager.
I don't wish to be pedantic, but if that is the case, where does Mint 19 and 19.1 come into the equation?
Last edited by norm.h on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

norm.h wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:05 am
gm10 wrote:
I don't wish to be pedantic, but if that is the case, where does Mint 19 and 19.1 come into the equation?
You can be, because I answered that already up there. ;)

Note that there is no Mint 19.1 yet, Mint 19 only just released.
Last edited by gm10 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

norm.h wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:05 am
gm10 wrote:

Mint 19 and it's point releases will always have ubuntu 18.04 lts as it's base so you will have point releases when needed because the base has been updated or to deal with security updates, etc. in the 19.x series you now have 19.1 - if you installed 19 and have kept it up to date with upgrades there is no real need to reinstall 19.1 and so on the point release just makes it easier for those just installing the 19 series to get the latest upgrades without a lengthy upgrade process after installing.

Hope that helps.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Sorry - I should have paid more attention to Pjotr's post :oops:
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you install Mint 18, which is Ubuntu 16.04 based (both LTS), and then update to Mint 18.1, you get a newer kernel and other things than the Ubuntu 16.04 release. I think it was the Ubuntu 17.04 (not LTS) kernel.

The Ubuntu non LTS releases between the LTS ones are mostly for hardware compatibility. I had that problem with the Broadcom wireless in my netbook, which weren't fixed until Ubuntu 14.04/Mint 17 releases. That's the only reason I'd install a non LTS release.

While Mint is Ubuntu based it's also different. This is why Ubuntu docs are so useful ... you just can't beat that user base ... but you can't just blindly cut and paste Ubuntu solutions in Mint. I know it's hard to tell when it's appropriate for a novice but I don't have a good answer for that. It's true for a great many types of info on the Web.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

^ since this has the potential to cause confusion: the Mint point releases have nothing to do with the Ubuntu non-LTS releases, those are separate matters.

Mint 19 and all of its upcoming point releases will always be based only on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 am
If you install Mint 18, which is Ubuntu 16.04 based (both LTS), and then update to Mint 18.1, you get a newer kernel
I don't think that is correct.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:48 am
Hoser Rob wrote:
If you install Mint 18, which is Ubuntu 16.04 based (both LTS), and then update to Mint 18.1, you get a newer kernel
Yep. Kernels don't get upgraded automatically. As per every release notes:
Note that during a "point upgrade" (for instance between Linux Mint 17.2 and 17.3), the kernel and hardware drivers are not impacted, so you get all the new features without risking regressions on hardware support.
If you clean install the point release (i.e. download the iso from the website) then it may install with a different kernel though.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Moem wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:48 am
Hoser Rob wrote:
You're right if you do a web upgrade. But if you dl the newer Mint release, say 18 to 18.1 and clean reinstall that ... which I do now after a web upgrade broke stuff ... you do get the newer kernel. I've done this several times and always got the newer kernel.

I don't disagree with that approach in case the newer kernel breaks things. But the first time I did a clean reinstall of a Mint ".1" release I didn't update the kernel at first and the older one broke my wireless in the newer release. Such is Linux.
walterdowis
Level 3
Level 3

Post by walterdowis »

Thank you! I appreciate everyone's post. These posts have greatly helped me to understanding.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:04 am
if you dl the newer Mint release, say 18 to 18.1 and clean reinstall that ... which I do now after a web upgrade broke stuff ... you do get the newer kernel.
Okay, yeah. I would never describe that as "install Mint 18 (...) and then update to Mint 18.1", so I'm glad you clarified.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”