Questions about LM & Ubuntu. I'm still learning ..

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Spud1200
Level 2
Level 2

Questions about LM & Ubuntu. I'm still learning ..

Post by Spud1200 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:16 am

Hey,

I have been on LM for quite some time. Basically pretty much starting from 17.3 . The reason I have went for xx . 3 in each release is because its the most stable version of the xx LM OS .

I was curious to know if their are ever any benefits to actually upgrading to say a full blown fresh installation of say 19 or when 18 came about, and for example when 20 comes about. Would 19.3 being my next upgrade actually be beneficial, as I have spoken to people who use Ubuntu and still use pre 15.4 versions as in their opinion the software is more stable and suits them for what they need? Do you ever actually need to upgrade to the latest and greatest?

I have had a question bug me for a while about Ubuntu. Is Ubuntu associated with LM in any way? What's the difference between Ubuntu, Debian and LM? Are these three OS's based off each other or in some way affiliated?

I was also curious, in LM what exactly is sysmd; being System MD I think? Why is sysmd so important, and you know the network manager in LM 18.3, has this in any way changed in 19.xx?

I was reading that 19.xx has some major changes and I'm pretty positive that Network Manager had changed . I mite be wrong but I'm unsure.

I know in Ubuntu server they changed the network manager in 18.4 as per the release of 16.4 . Has this affected LM in any way?

What would happen if I changed the values in resolv.conf under /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf from their default DNS Server Addresses listed?

I use a private VPN Sub with a commercial provider, and would this be wise or beneficial to change my resolv.conf file to their DNS Private Server Addresses?

I have one final question that is going to sound really quite unintelligent for the people who know LM inside out but when using the terminal is root the same as sudo?
I was curious about permissions and if I should be logging on to my LM System with the account I set up in the Installer and even tho LM root privileges are escalated by default so you cant bork your system, is it wise to log on to a system account that was set up in the installation and use things like E-Mail etc? This is coming from a complete security stand point.

I ask because when you look at the likes of M$ Windows installations and you set your account up and log in, am I correct in thinking when the average user does this they are logging on to their system with an Administrator Account? Maybe using thing likes E-Mail ect: This cant be wise; can it ? ! ..

Thanks.
Last edited by Moem on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added question marks to all sentences that are phrased as a question, to make them easier to parse.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Questions about LM & Ubuntu. I'm still learning ..

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:33 am

You never need to upgrade to the latest and greatest if you're happy with the outdated and not so great. Up to you. ;) Also you can just try every version in a live environment booting from USB or DVD so it's not like you have to make that decision blindly. Hardware support can be different between versions (usually it gets better but some very old hardware may no longer be supported in the most recent release).

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu. What the Linux Mint team does is take the Ubuntu distribution, add a few tools and themes, change a few settings and then that's Linux Mint. Mint is still 99.9% Ubuntu though (completely made up number but you get the idea). Mint has permission from Ubuntu to do so, but Ubuntu is not affiliated with Mint.

I don't know what system MD is. Do you mean systemd? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd

For changes in LM19 just read the release notes including the "What's new?" part.

You can change DNS server addresses in connection properties.

sudo provides a way to run commands with root permissions under your user context. To use sudo to run a command you will have to enter your password. Without that applications just run with normal user-level permissions. There is also the policy kit authorization API that allows programs to request elevated privileges automatically. Since you draw the comparison to Windows, think of it like the User Account Control (UAC) feature that requires you to authorize actions that require elevated privileges. Therefore it's fine to use the automatically created account, that's what it's there for.

Spud1200
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Spud1200 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 am

Thats what I meant systemd. I'm not fully fluent with LM and didn't know that is was derived off Ubuntu. Do you know if Ubuntu is derived off Debian. This is all very silly if you know this stuff but I have been unsure for a while about the bigger picture of the family of OS’s .

Is LM made up of a certain number of components as say for example you have the network manager, systemd (after reading your link), you have the desktop environment such as cinnamon and many kernel variety and alternatives.

How is the Linux Mint system built in regards to the components. Are their many to it or much to it. With Linux not just mint, is it true you can quite literally slice and dice the OS for a preferred configuration. Change things how you see fit and choose what you want and remove things as such.

Thanks.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:57 am

Spud1200 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 am
Do you know if Ubuntu is derived off Debian.
It is.
Spud1200 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 am
Is LM made up of a certain number of components as say for example you have the network manager, systemd (after reading your link), you have the desktop environment such as cinnamon and many kernel variety and alternatives.
That's how all of Linux is made up, yes. It's not a monolithic operating system like Windows. You have the kernel and the rest is optional basically. What distributions do is provide you with a pre-configured selection of those options. You can modify those choices later on, of course.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:23 pm

Any version of Mint that is currently supported should be fine. That means 17, 18, and 19. I'm currently using 17.3 as my daily driver, but have all the others installed in VirtualBox, and all seem to work well. I have also installed various versions of 18 and 19 on my friends' computers, and they seem fine to me. Yes, Mint is based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based on Debian. But since all of this stuff is open source and free for anybody to use, probably all of us are using stuff that came from RedHat and a bunch of other places. That's one of the beautiful things about open source: you are free to pick and choose bits and pieces from wherever you like, and there's never any need to reinvent the wheel. As near as I can tell, systemd is a religion. Some swear it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or chocolate milk, and others swear it's the devil. Having used different versions of Mint and a bunch of other distros in VirtualBox, it doesn't seem to make any difference in the operation of the system, and I don't really care one way or the other if a distro uses systemd or not. If the mint gurus thought it was a bad thing, they wouldn't have used it, and I trust their judgment.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:49 am

While there is a dizzying number of Linux distros, the vast majority are based on Red Hat/Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu (which is of course Debian based), or Arch.

Return to “Newbie Questions”