Firefox Home Page

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Davyn

Firefox Home Page

Post by Davyn »

I have only just started to use Linuxmint 19 and its easy to see why the OS is so highly regarded. But my problem is when i start Firefox i would like to see the Firefox home page and not the Linuxmint page. Have gone to Preferences but can't see where i can change to the Firefox home page. Can anyone help me please.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Firefox Home Page

Post by sdibaja »

go to preferences: enter the page you want as default
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Davyn

Post by Davyn »

Hello sdibaja
I am running linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit (Tara). The reason why i posted the linuxmint version i'm running is because when i open up Firefox and then go to Preferences all i see under the General tab is just two options which are:

1) Restore previous session.
2) Always check if Firefox is your default browser.

Perhaps i have missed something and would welcome any suggestions pointing out my mistakes.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply.

Regards Davyn
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

On my M18.3 Cinnamon, FF 61.01 the Preferences screen is different - below GENERAL there is a HOME icon (little house), and that's where the home page settings are. (I'm pretty sure the same FF version will be the same, regardless of the Mint version or Desktop Environment.) BTW, since I run FF on multiple PCs including dual boots with Windows, setting up a Firefox Account to sync homepage, bookmarks, extensions, etc. automatically is very handy.
Last edited by I2k4 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I2k4 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:34 am On my M18.3 Cinnamon, FF 61.01 the Preferences screen is different - below GENERAL there is a HOME icon (little house), and that's where the home page settings are. (I'm pretty sure the same FF version will be the same, regardless of the Mint version or Desktop Environment.)
Same in Mint 19. That's the place to change the home page.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Davyn

Post by Davyn »

I quite agree with 12k4 and Pjotr. But getting a Firefox url to use as an home page was something else. I give up eventually and installed Google Chromium which was much easier to configure although i would have preferred Firefox.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

I might have misunderstood, but you only need drag a tab to the Home Button for it to become your homepage... no need to go into Preferences etc.
stellarpower

Post by stellarpower »

I have the same issue. I'm on Ff 63.0, from the repos, and Mint 19.

In my preferences I have the following options:
Captura de pantalla de 2018-11-23 17-00-07.png
I have also removed browser.startup.homepage from about:config but it is reset any time I open a new window. Presumably something is overriding it somewhere but I don't know what.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Actually, despite what my home page is set to in preferences my firefox always opens to a blank page. I actually got it working for a short time, but it soon reset itself to a blank page. Once I click on the home icon or close the blank tab my normal home page opens.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
TenseiKyou

Post by TenseiKyou »

maybe you already solved it, but can help others.

the easiest way to solve this "issue" is to configure your homepage to about:newtab, like the internal default value on firefox, and override the custom setting from mint.
home and new windows.png
scottkuma

Post by scottkuma »

I finally got mine to stop doing this:

1) load the url: about:config

2) accept the warning about "breaking the warranty"

3) search for the string "browser.startup.homepage"

4) modify that preference to "about:newtab"

Restart your browser.
maphew

Post by maphew »

thank you Scott. much appreciated.
stellarpower

Post by stellarpower »

As an aside, this string supports multipls tabs - if you separate each URL for `browser.startup.homepage` with a pipe, you can have your 'homepage' be multiple tabs to open both at startup and on opening a new window (and unfortunately, you can't have one without the other).

Return to “Beginner Questions”