[SOLVED] order of tabs in the taskbar

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
monere
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] order of tabs in the taskbar

Post by monere » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 am

Hey guys!

Can someone please tell me how to set the order of opened tabs in the taskbar? For example, if I have firefox, the file manager, the terminal, and a PDF... ALL of these opened up simultaneously their order in the taskbar is erratic, or at least now how I want it anyway.

I want that - no matter which one I open up first - that program always to go in its corresponding position in the queue, with the "corresponding position" being the one I have assigned to it, obviously :)

Well, I don't know how to set up a preferred position for each program that opens up, so can you please tell me how to do it? I'm sure you know better than me. WAY better that is :)

Cheers!
Last edited by monere on Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4

Re: order of tabs in the taskbar

Post by HaveaMint » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:16 am

monere wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 am
!
You may want to clarify what version and DE your running. I'm not certain but there may not be a way to do what your wanting.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

monere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by monere » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:18 am

HaveaMint wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:16 am
monere wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 am
!
You may want to clarify what version and DE your running. I'm not certain but there may not be a way to do what your wanting.
Oops, sorry :) .... It's Mint 19 Xfce

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HaveaMint » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:24 am

monere wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:18 am
Mint 19 Xfce
I'm running 18.3 xfce and I don't see a way to pin them like your wanting, You may wait for more knowledgeable people to reply though.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

monere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by monere » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:27 am

HaveaMint wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:24 am
monere wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:18 am
Mint 19 Xfce
I'm running 18.3 xfce and I don't see a way to pin them like your wanting, You may wait for more knowledgeable people to reply though.
He, no problem my friend. If this can be done and someone knowledgeable on the subject will jump in with instructions... I'll be here to read and apply them. If not, no problem. I'll continue using it as it is :)

Cheers!

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rickNS » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:43 am

I know what you mean, I'm slightly OCD myself. When I was running my business, and getting lots of email I always liked thunderbird to be in the left most position. I'm not sure but I don't think there is a way to assign a taskbar position to program, add the fact that they dynamically resize when a certain number is reached. So I guess just open your apps in the order you want them to appear left to right.
Mint 18 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:53 am

Try the 1st answer here ... I suspect this is the best you'll get with Xfce, which as a lightweight DE doesn't have every feature, hope it'll do what you want:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/235784/ ... xfce-panel

Another approach to reducing panel icon clutter is to use more than one workspace. I'm surprised how many newer Linux users don't use that feature. If there's anything in Linux I couldn't live without, multi workspaces would have to be it. First add the workspace switcher to the panel and then go to settings > workspaces to try this.

monere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by monere » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:55 am

rickNS wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:43 am
I know what you mean, I'm slightly OCD myself. When I was running my business, and getting lots of email I always liked thunderbird to be in the left most position. I'm not sure but I don't think there is a way to assign a taskbar position to program, add the fact that they dynamically resize when a certain number is reached. So I guess just open your apps in the order you want them to appear left to right.
Probably my brain will eventually get used to the mess (the human psyche is very adaptable) and it will start ignoring, but... it's a pity that the masters of organizing and customization don't allow customizing the obvious and important bits :D

Oh well... we can only hope they will add this feature in previous patches / updates

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:57 am

Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:53 am
Another approach to reducing panel icon clutter is to use more than one workspace. I'm surprised how many newer Linux users don't use that feature.
Oh yes. And it's such a good one. OP, if you've never tried this, you may be in for a treat.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

monere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by monere » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:04 am

Hoser Rob wrote:
Try the 1st answer here ... I suspect this is the best you'll get with Xfce, which as a lightweight DE doesn't have every feature, hope it'll do what you want:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/235784/ ... xfce-panel

Another approach to reducing panel icon clutter is to use more than one workspace. I'm surprised how many newer Linux users don't use that feature. If there's anything in Linux I couldn't live without, multi workspaces would have to be it. First add the workspace switcher to the panel and then go to settings > workspaces to try this.
Yeah, that link solved half of the problem, so it's good :) ... As for multiple workspaces: this term alone gives me shivers down my spine. I barely manage to deal with one workspace and you're advising me to use MORE of them? :D

Yeah, I think I'll stick to one workspace for now :)

Cheers for the link!

monere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by monere » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:08 am

Moem wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:57 am
Hoser Rob wrote:
Another approach to reducing panel icon clutter is to use more than one workspace. I'm surprised how many newer Linux users don't use that feature.
Oh yes. And it's such a good one. OP, if you've never tried this, you may be in for a treat.
You may be well-intended and you might also be a cool guy, moderator. But, I'm honestly telling you that the term "multiple workspaces" freaks the hell out of me :D

As you can probably tell I am new to Linux. I've been using Windows for 30 years, so the move from one OS (especially that's not as highly customizable as the other) to another should be done gradually. I am 100% certain that soon I'll take a look at those workspaces, too, but not today

Thanks for the tip, though! All tips are useful when you're a newbie :)

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:17 am

monere wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:08 am
You may be well-intended and you might also be a cool guy, moderator. But, I'm honestly telling you that the term "multiple workspaces" freaks the hell out of me :D
Well intended... that I am, but I'm definitely not a cool guy. :wink:
Okay, it's like this:
Imagine you have a house, and just one table. You want to make dinner, and for that you will need to cut some vegetables. But the table is currently occupied by a jigsaw puzzle you are making.
Conundrum? Not at all. Because you were clever enough to overlay the table with a transparent sheet of lexan, and do your puzzle on that. So now you can simply move that sheet aside, set it down somewhere else, and have a clear table to do your cooking preparations. And if you do them on yet another sheet of clear plastic, you can even put that aside too, in case you want to read a newspaper while the food is cooking.

Extra workspaces are like that. You can be doing something on one workspace, and another thing on a different workspace, and you don't have tons of overlapping windows and an unruly mob of buttons (you called them tabs) on the taskbar (you called it a panel). You just see what you need to see. Underneath that, the desktop stays the same.

Does that help any?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

monere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by monere » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:45 am

Moem wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:17 am
Well intended... that I am, but I'm definitely not a cool guy. :wink:
Okay, it's like this:
Imagine you have a house, and just one table. You want to make dinner, and for that you will need to cut some vegetables. But the table is currently occupied by a jigsaw puzzle you are making.
Conundrum? Not at all. Because you were clever enough to overlay the table with a transparent sheet of lexan, and do your puzzle on that. So now you can simply move that sheet aside, set it down somewhere else, and have a clear table to do your cooking preparations. And if you do them on yet another sheet of clear plastic, you can even put that aside too, in case you want to read a newspaper while the food is cooking.

Extra workspaces are like that. You can be doing something on one workspace, and another thing on a different workspace, and you don't have tons of overlapping windows and an unruly mob of buttons (you called them tabs) on the taskbar (you called it a panel). You just see what you need to see. Underneath that, the desktop stays the same.

Does that help any?
It helps explaining how workspaces work, yes, but... it doesn't help simplifying things because you have to constantly switch between workspaces in order to access the tab... buttons you want, whereas if you already have all of your buttons on the same panel you just have to click them (so, the switching between workspaces is bypassed, thus taking you less time and less effort spent on accessing buttons).

The best use I could see for worskpaces is when you literally have 10-20, or more, buttons opened at the same time and you need ALL of them frequently. Then, switching between workspaces does indeed take less time and effort than going to the Linux menu, searching for the right application and opening it up each time you need it. Yeah, in this case multiple workspaces justify their purposes and could cone in handy indeed. But in 30 years of using the computer I have never EVER had more than 6-7 tabs opened at the same time that I was CONSTANTLY using. I may have had more than that opened up, but after a while I had realized that I don't need some of them opened anymore and I had closed them. And after that I had continued using the same 5-6 tabs that I was needing the most.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to explain. Believe it or not, not many people bother with this, and it's one of the reasons you are cool and they are not. See how that works? :D

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rickNS » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:45 am

Moem wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:57 am
Hoser Rob wrote:
Agreed multiple workspaces a treat, not to mention cool. Even more cool with compiz cube enabled, then add zoom out + transparency on rotate, and a nice skydome background...the definition of eye candy. It's the first thing I show people who haven't tried linux.
My desktop in just over one minute...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObSY6ZDIp3Y

@monere, you replied before I posted, no need to be afraid of multiple desktops. Not sure about xfce but CTRL + ALT + left/right arrow probably switches spaces.

monere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by monere » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:57 am

rickNS wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:45 am
Agreed multiple workspaces a treat, not to mention cool. Even more cool with compiz cube enabled, then add zoom out + transparency on rotate, and a nice skydome background...the definition of eye candy. It's the first thing I show people who haven't tried linux.
My desktop in just over one minute...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObSY6ZDIp3Y

@monere, you replied before I posted, no need to be afraid of multiple desktops. Not sure about xfce but CTRL + ALT + left/right arrow probably switches spaces.
First of all, your desktop looks so futuristic. I mean, that cube made up of workspaces, I've never seen that in WIndows, and I think it's cool :)

Then, I'm not sure "being afraid of" is the right choice of words. More likely, I feel discomfort and insecurity when I have to deal with complex things that I don't understand and/or have no control over. And right now, since I've only been using Linux for a few days, I'm not comfortable enough trying all of the cool things this OS does. As I've told Moen, too, I am 100% certain that sooner or later I will check out the multiple spaces, too. Maybe I will even get to like using them :)

But for now, there's so many things I have to grasp and customize that workspaces are the least of my priorities. I mean, just yesterday and the other day alone I have spent close to 20 hours (over both days) finding the right internet browser for my needs (and I'm still not sure which one I'll use), and figuring out how to install drivers / applications (with the Software Manager), as well as customizing the desktop.

Anyway, give me a bit of time and things will probably change :)

Cheers!

EDIT: yeah, "CTRL + ALT + arrow" switches between workspaces. I've tried it and it works indeed

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rickNS » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:21 am

^^ Thanks,
Yes it takes time. I see you joined 5 years ago, so didn't realize you've only been using for a few days.
BROWSERS, besides firefox, chromium is a good choice, and one should always have a second browser, in case something happens to one.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:24 pm

monere wrote:
The best use I could see for worskpaces is when you literally have 10-20, or more, buttons opened at the same time and you need ALL of them frequently.
Yeah, that would be me. I have a workspace for chat (mostly using Pidgin), one for my browser, one for my email, and one for various other stuff such as image editing.
monere wrote:
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to explain. Believe it or not, not many people bother with this, and it's one of the reasons you are cool and they are not. See how that works? :D
You're welcome, and thanks, and I'm still not a guy. 8)

monere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by monere » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:02 pm

rickNS wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:21 am
^^ Thanks,
Yes it takes time. I see you joined 5 years ago, so didn't realize you've only been using for a few days.
BROWSERS, besides firefox, chromium is a good choice, and one should always have a second browser, in case something happens to one.
I've joined some years ago, yes, but I've had a lot of problems with running Linux on this computer due to the fact that I specifically purchased it to run Windows on it, so it's been built with that thought in mind. Besides, in 2014 when I've purchased it UEFI had been a new thing, and like all new things that come with technology it had its flaws. I have struggled to dual-boot this computer in Linux + Windows, and if you'll look through my threads you'll notice the frustrations I've had :)

Anyway, long story short, I have joined 5 years ago, but only 4 days ago I have decided to switch to Linux and to really look into what it does. Up until then I have only studied it from afar, rarely and with the look that tribesmen give an airplane that's crashlanded on their land :)

Regarding browsers... nah, I'm trying desperately to go away from the money-hungry corporations (google, microsoft, firefox, adobe, etc.) and give other, less popular services a chance. That's why I'm currently using Palemoon, and this browser has won the (temporary) contest with Epiphany. Graphics-wise I absolutely loved Dooble, but its functionalities, or lack of, have been too many and too big to keep me using it. If they improve Dooble (at least add DuckDuckGo as a default search engine, add password and bookmark managers, and support for ghostery / ublock origin extensions), and I'm theirs.

Besides, I have wanted to give chromium a chance, but it's either too complicated at this point for me to use, or requires lots of resources to function, or both. I'm not sure if I've read correctly, but if I did, it needs 100 GB space to be installed on my HDD, and at least 4-6 GB of RAM memory. all for ITSELF to function. Again, I'm not sure if these numbers are correct (I need to check again), but if they are... well, that's at least preposterous

I don't understand your suggestion of having a second browser, though. Currently, I only have Palemoon installed, and in 30 years of using Windows I have never had issues with internet browsers, and I'm expecting to have even less chances of that happening under Linux, so why would I need a 2nd browser?? Does anyone actually uses 2 browsers at a time? What for?? I don't get it...

monere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by monere » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:11 pm

Moem wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:24 pm
Yeah, that would be me. I have a workspace for chat (mostly using Pidgin), one for my browser, one for my email, and one for various other stuff such as image editing.
So, you're using an entire workspace only for ONE application? Why not use both Pidgin, and the email on the same workspace? How much space could 2 buttons occupy on a workspace? I'm looking at my workspace and right now I have 6 buttons that are decently sized to display the titles (so I can see what they are). And you're using 4 workspaces to run only 4 applications? No offense intended, but I find this to be excessive :)
Moen wrote:
You're welcome, and thanks, and I'm still not a guy. 8)
Guy, gal, whatever... you're cool and that's all that matters :D

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rickNS » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:33 pm

monere wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:02 pm

#1) I have wanted to give chromium a chance, but it's either too complicated at this point for me to use, or requires lots of resources to function, or both. I'm not sure if I've read correctly, but if I did, it needs 100 GB space to be installed on my HDD, and at least 4-6 GB of RAM memory. all for ITSELF to function. Again, I'm not sure if these numbers are correct (I need to check again), but if they are... well, that's at least preposterous

#2) I don't understand your suggestion of having a second browser, though. Currently, I only have Palemoon installed, and in 30 years of using Windows I have never had issues with internet browsers, and I'm expecting to have even less chances of that happening under Linux, so why would I need a 2nd browser?? Does anyone actually uses 2 browsers at a time? What for?? I don't get it...
re #1, those numbers are way off Chromium only needs 192 MB of disk space.

re #2, a second browser is for "just in case". I've never had a browser fail either, I've also never "needed" a backup, and I have several of those. It would be foolish to live without at least one backup, I'm sure you would agree. "IF" a browser did crash and you only had one, how would you get online for help ? A second browser is good practice just like backing up your pictures.

Return to “Newbie Questions”