Screen flicker and tearing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gm10

Re: Screen flicker and tearing

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:37 am How would 18.3 (xenial) go with that, using a cosmic repo to get Ubuntu kernels?
He was on bionic. But kernels are self-contained, you can use them with any release, theoretically (any incompatibilities would from stem from the kernel, not the packaging).

I would however suggest to also upgrade the linux-firmware package to cosmic in addition to the kernel because while not technically a dependency of the kernel package, the kernel expects certain files to be there that older Mint/Ubuntu releases lack. Don't blame me if this latter step blows up in your face though, this can lead to compatibility issues, so either know how to downgrade a package or have another way to roll back your system ready (e.g. Timeshift).
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:27 am
catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:37 am How would 18.3 (xenial) go with that, using a cosmic repo to get Ubuntu kernels?
He was on bionic. But kernels are self-contained, you can use them with any release, theoretically (any incompatibilities would from stem from the kernel, not the packaging).

I would however suggest to also upgrade the linux-firmware package to cosmic in addition to the kernel because while not technically a dependency of the kernel package, the kernel expects certain files to be there that older Mint/Ubuntu releases lack. Don't blame me if this latter step blows up in your face though, this can lead to compatibility issues, so either know how to downgrade a package or have another way to roll back your system ready (e.g. Timeshift).
I gave it a shot but undid it because I ended up with 1500+ packages to update :)

I guess a manual download wouldn't hurt.

Thanks, and cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:31 amI gave it a shot but undid it because I ended up with 1500+ packages to update :)

Did you forget to run the following part of my suggestion?

Code: Select all

printf "Package: *\nPin: release a=cosmic\nPin-Priority: 400" | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/cosmic.pref
apt update
apt install linux-image-generic/cosmic
This both pins the repository to a lower priority so you should not be offered any updates automatically, and then manually updates only the kernel to the cosmic version. At face value this should work on Mint 18, too.
Last edited by gm10 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:37 am
catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:31 amI gave it a shot but undid it because I ended up with 1500+ packages to update :)

Did you forget to run the following part of my suggestion?

sudo printf "Package: *\nPin: release a=cosmic\nPin-Priority: 400" > /etc/apt/preferences.d/cosmic.pref
apt update
apt install linux-image-generic/cosmic
This both pins the repository to a lower priority so you should not be offered any updates automatically, and then manually updates only the kernel to the cosmic version. At face value this should work on Mint 18, too.
No, I didn't forget. I had to manually create the files as sudo printf gave permissions errors, then apt update gave appstreamcli GLib errors, then I got the 1500 packages to update.

Never mind. I don't wish to waste your time. It was more of a learning exercise for me.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:49 am No, I didn't forget. I had to manually create the files as sudo printf gave permissions errors, then apt update gave appstreamcli GLib errors, then I got the 1500 packages to update.

Never mind. I don't wish to waste your time. It was more of a learning exercise for me.
The sudo printf was obviously a brainfart of mine, can't believe I didn't see that before in particular after he had issues with it (had the heavy blinders on apparently), should have been the usual:

printf "Package: *\nPin: release a=cosmic\nPin-Priority: 400" | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/cosmic.pref
The appstream issue is a known bug in appstream (the cosmic version of appstream has that fixed, you could install that - I have - but at this rate we'd end up turning your xenial into cosmic :lol:) but does not affect apt operation itself, so the pinning should have worked. I'll check in a VM one of these days (just to satisfy my own curiosity).
Last edited by gm10 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:54 am but at this rate we'd end up turning your xenial into cosmic :lol:
lol - that's what I was afraid of :)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:01 am
gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:54 am but at this rate we'd end up turning your xenial into cosmic :lol:
That appstream thing is a good example to see how much support Ubuntu is actually providing though. They didn't patch the bionic version, either, only cosmic.

By the way, since the appstream issue was triggered by a package in Universe I believe, which you don't need for the kernel, anyway, you probably won't run into it if you just add that part of the repo (as I should have suggested from the start, but you know how lazy copy & pastes go):

printf 'deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ cosmic main\n' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cosmic.list
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:08 am
catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:01 am
That appstream thing is a good example to see how much support Ubuntu is actually providing though. They didn't patch the bionic version, either, only cosmic.

By the way, since the appstream issue was triggered by a package in Universe I believe, which you don't need for the kernel, anyway, you probably won't run into it if you just add that part of the repo (as I should have suggested from the start, but you know how lazy copy & pastes go):

printf 'deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ cosmic main\n' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cosmic.list
Ok, that got me to where I could select the 4.18 kernel without being pestered about 1500 updates. Unfortunately 4.18 won't install because of a couple of dependencies, which I'm not going to try and fix. Thanks for the leg up :)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:26 am Ok, that got me to where I could select the 4.18 kernel without being pestered about 1500 updates. Unfortunately 4.18 won't install because of a couple of dependencies, which I'm not going to try and fix. Thanks for the leg up :)
Really? The only dependency is linux-base and that version number looked xenial-compatible to me:

$ apt depends linux-image-4.18.0-7-generic 
linux-image-4.18.0-7-generic
  Depends: kmod
  Depends: linux-base (>= 4.5ubuntu1~16.04.1)
  Depends: linux-modules-4.18.0-7-generic
But yeah, nvm, that kernel will probably make its way to your repos after Ubuntu 18.10 release, anyway.
principalmoo

Post by principalmoo »

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to give a little update:

I tried different compton configurations and nothing worked. Before going back to Windows 10, a friend recommended that I give Fedora a try because of the frequent updates (especially with kernels). I did and everything seems to be working well with the Cinnamon DE. After installing a lot of updates, I noticed that Fedora is automatically running kernel 4.18.7. I have not done anything to address the screen tearing; it just seems to work with Fedora.

Thank you to everyone that gave feedback and suggestions in this post. I really learned a lot here.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

principalmoo wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:19 am I tried different compton configurations and nothing worked. Before going back to Windows 10, a friend recommended that I give Fedora a try because of the frequent updates (especially with kernels). I did and everything seems to be working well with the Cinnamon DE. After installing a lot of updates, I noticed that Fedora is automatically running kernel 4.18.7. I have not done anything to address the screen tearing; it just seems to work with Fedora.
Interesting, The only difference that I can think of is that Fedora 28 continues to default to GDM as their display manager, don't they? Mint uses LightDM. The rest, I imagine, would have to be the same, unless they found some hidden Cinnamon settings to tweak. Did you install the Cinnamon spin directly? Fedora's default desktop is running on Wayland so that would certainly help with the tearing, too, but Cinnamon can't use that.

Note that Fedora 29 is coming out end of next month so don't get too comfortable, you'll probably want to upgrade to that version right away.
principalmoo

Post by principalmoo »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:39 pm
principalmoo wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:19 am I tried different compton configurations and nothing worked. Before going back to Windows 10, a friend recommended that I give Fedora a try because of the frequent updates (especially with kernels). I did and everything seems to be working well with the Cinnamon DE. After installing a lot of updates, I noticed that Fedora is automatically running kernel 4.18.7. I have not done anything to address the screen tearing; it just seems to work with Fedora.
Interesting, The only difference that I can think of is that Fedora 28 continues to default to GDM as their display manager, don't they? Mint uses LightDM. The rest, I imagine, would have to be the same, unless they found some hidden Cinnamon settings to tweak. Did you install the Cinnamon spin directly? Fedora's default desktop is running on Wayland so that would certainly help with the tearing, too, but Cinnamon can't use that.

Note that Fedora 29 is coming out end of next month so don't get too comfortable, you'll probably want to upgrade to that version right away.
Hi gm10,

I did not install the Cinnamon spin directly: I started with Gnome and then discovered that I could easily try other DEs. I was experiencing the tearing with Gnome, so I decided to try Cinnamon as sort of a last chance effort. The tearing stopped. I may try KDE as well.

Thanks again for all your help!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:02 am Don't do that. Since we have official Ubuntu 4.18 kernels there's no good reason to use mainline kernels instead.
We do? Where? How?

I have Mint 19 Xfce and there's only 4.15 kernels listed.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:06 am
gm10 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:02 am Don't do that. Since we have official Ubuntu 4.18 kernels there's no good reason to use mainline kernels instead.
We do? Where? How?

In the cosmic repositories, as you once knew:
catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:26 am Ok, that got me to where I could select the 4.18 kernel
Eventually also in bionic-updates for the 18.04.2 point release. The -edge HWE preview is also already in bionic-proposed but it's an older version so I do not recommend that.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:49 am
catweazel wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:06 am
We do? Where? How?

In the cosmic repositories, as you once knew:
catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:26 am Ok, that got me to where I could select the 4.18 kernel
Eventually also in bionic-updates for the 18.04.2 point release. The -edge HWE preview is also already in bionic-proposed but it's an older version so I do not recommend that.
Yes, but like I said, it won't install due to dependency issues, and I wouldn't expect the OP to know how to get 4.18 either.

Anyway, cheers.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:15 amYes, but like I said, it won't install due to dependency issues, and I wouldn't expect the OP to know how to get 4.18 either.
It didn't install on your system, but we never cared to figure out why. It installs perfectly fine on "default" LM18 and LM19 systems.

But does it still matter, anyway? This thread is over a month old and OP said he switched to Fedora. I'm happy to discuss installation of 4.18 but at this point we should probably do it in a new thread.
Faust

Post by Faust »

I've never experienced " tearing " on any hardware / OS combination but it always makes me curious ....

Is that pronounced as in tear from the eyes , or as in tear a piece of paper ?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Faust wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:27 am I've never experienced " tearing " on any hardware / OS combination but it always makes me curious ....

Is that pronounced as in tear from the eyes , or as in tear a piece of paper ?
Pronounced as and in reference to the second as far as the issue troubling the OP goes. I'm sure there are screensavers that can make your screen cry though. :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”