I have the cake, now I want the icing... Almost off the Microsoft plantation! [FF PROFILE SOLVED, THANKS!]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wildalaska
Level 1
Level 1

I have the cake, now I want the icing... Almost off the Microsoft plantation! [FF PROFILE SOLVED, THANKS!]

Post by wildalaska » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks to all the great postings, getting Linux Mint 19 running on my Win 7 laptop was a slam dunk! Many thanks to the Mint team, Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.8.3 (what a nice program!), the Linux Mint Installation Guide, J.A. Watson (ZDnet) and Graham Linux (Youtube).

Now I have some new questions:
1. Mint 19 had Firefox (nice!) but how can I import my FF bookmarks from my Win7 version of FF?
2. If I install Thunderbird in the Linux Mint environment, how do I import my mail from Win7 T-Bird?

Your wisdom will be appreciated.

Rod
Last edited by wildalaska on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Re: I have the cake, now I want the icing... Almost off the Microsoft plantation!

Post by Moem » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 am

Here's a good article on moving your profile folder, that applies to all Mozilla applications: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

When you've installed Mint, Thunderbird is already installed. Here's how to migrate your email: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I have the cake, now I want the icing... Almost off the Microsoft plantation!

Post by srq2625 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 am

I've not done this in years and years so I don't remember what I did when I migrated from Windows to Linux. But, I did find a couple or four pages that might provide you the information you need to get the job done.

For your FF question: Try this page

For your second question: Try one of these pages: ETA: Moem beat me to it!

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi wildalaska,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

FYI: For the #1 question: if you setup Firefox's Sync option in MS Win and run it, then when you bring up Firefox in Linux Mint and sign in to your Sync option, all your settings will be automatically updated like bookmarks, add-ons, passwords, etc... The first time you run Firefox Sync, It may take a few moments to start and a minute or so to finish and it may also require restarting Firefox once to complete the process.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:19 pm

wildalaska wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:18 am

Now I have some new questions:
1. Mint 19 had Firefox (nice!) but how can I import my FF bookmarks from my Win7 version of FF?
2. If I install Thunderbird in the Linux Mint environment, how do I import my mail from Win7 T-Bird?

Your wisdom will be appreciated.
Rod
By far, the simplest thing to do, is to login to a Firefox Sync account.
I have FF on at least 20 computers somewhere, and every one of them has the same Bookmarks and Preferences on them.... Yes, Win7 and Linux, all have the same exact setup, via FF Sync....

You can have your cake, and eat it too...
Depending on your ISP bandwidth, and number of bookmarks, it can take up to 20 minutes to download them all.... ( I am on DSL and have over 10,000 bookmarks. )

Fredashay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fredashay » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:00 pm

I tried using Sync on my old machine and then running Sync on my new machine. It brought over my preferences and add-ons, but it didn't bring over any of my tabs (I had a LOT of tabs open). After tearing my hair out, I finally just copied each tab URL to a text file on a thumbdrive and then copied all those URLs to new tabs on my new machine. What a pain in the @$$!!!
Into computer gaming and HO model railroading. I run a Minecraft server and write plugins in Java for my server.
My Server -- https://minecraft-server-list.com/server/271259/
My Plugins -- https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/auth ... hay.38349/

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Personally, all I care about is Bookmarks and Preferences....
I leave the tabs alone, as each machine has a different purpose.

and for what I want, it works perfect.

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi Fredashay,

Firefox and other browsers also have a Sync Tabs option. In Firefox under History in the toolbar, or click menu button -> customize and drag a separate Sync Tabs button to the toolbar. You open all of them at once or one at a time.

There are also many extensions and add-ons for browsers for saving tabs (session), copy tabs, etc...

Hope this helps ...
FireFox_SyncTabs1.jpg
Firefox Syn Tabs
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:25 am

I couldn't be bothered to to it that way, maybe I'm just too lazy. I copy/transfer FF bookmarks like this:

In FF click on "Bookmarks", then "show all bookmarks".
A window opens, click on "all bookmarks", then on the top "import and backup", then on "backup" and a suggesteted file name ( eg. FF Bookmarks September 18) pops up with a .json eding, and a suggested location. There also is an option to backup in html format, later versions of FF prefer it that way. There you bookmarks backup goes!
You could put it on a USB stick for taking it to another PC. At least one copy of your bookmarks should be with your regular external backups. Yes, everyone needs a regular backup of their personal files, just in case the machine blows up or gets stolen...

On your other machine(s), insert the USB-stick with the FF backup.
In FF click on "Bookmarks", then "show all bookmarks"; then "import and backup".
The rest is self-explanitory.

otlichnik73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by otlichnik73 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:41 am

Congratulations on switching to Linux, Helmut!
I did that myself ( on a few PC's) a year ago and I put my experience down in the form of this little blog - have a look, you might find some useful info there!
http://SwitchToLinuxDesktop.wordpress.com
Cheers!
First Port of Call for Windows Refugees: https://switchtolinuxdesktop.wordpress.com/

Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:47 am

Hi otlichnik73, congrats for switching to Linux Mint and for writing http://SwitchToLinuxDesktop.wordpress.com in such a relaxed style!
I've been using Linux since maybe 2001 or so at home.
At work (not my firm) various stationary and fixed satellite broadcast facilities are running and controlled by Mint for years.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Helmut wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:25 am
I couldn't be bothered to to it that way, maybe I'm just too lazy. I copy/transfer FF bookmarks like this:

In FF click on "Bookmarks", then "show all bookmarks".
A window opens, click on "all bookmarks", then on the top "import and backup", then on "backup" and a suggesteted file name ( eg. FF Bookmarks September 18) pops up with a .json eding, and a suggested location. There also is an option to backup in html format, later versions of FF prefer it that way. There you bookmarks backup goes!
You could put it on a USB stick for taking it to another PC. At least one copy of your bookmarks should be with your regular external backups. Yes, everyone needs a regular backup of their personal files, just in case the machine blows up or gets stolen...

On your other machine(s), insert the USB-stick with the FF backup.
In FF click on "Bookmarks", then "show all bookmarks"; then "import and backup".
The rest is self-explanitory.
have done that also, but only when I want to provide my bookmarks to others via a web host.

it is out of date, the instant you create a new bookmark on any of the PCs using FF.
With Sync, all PCs will have identical bookmarks, within a few seconds of FF being booted on any of the PCs.

Sync only takes about 15 seconds to set up, I can't imagine why you would want to do it the transfer to USB way.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:16 am

I've not long switched from Windoze. SYNCH in Firefox made that process totally invisible. Saved Passwords, bookmarks and all extensions transferred seamlessly. I even have synch set up for speeddial, too.

In Thunderbird, I use IMAP for all my accounts, so I don't even bother to backup my e-mails. As for addresses and the like, I cannot recall. So, I shall defer to the ex-spurts here.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Newbie Questions”