TimeShift can't restore snapshot, stuck on dry run.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

TimeShift can't restore snapshot, stuck on dry run.

Post by vishgaur »

LINUX MINT, TARA, 19, CINNAMON, 64 BITS

Last time also I was not able to restore via timeshift.
Method is to open TimeShift GUI or app whatever you call it.
Choose the desired snapshot
hit RESTORE.
but after that I am shown ESTIMATED TIME >>???? question mark forever. No progress at all.
Last time also I had to restore via terminal.
This time also I am unable to restore via gui of timeshift.

This shouldn't work like this forever

Please help.

[update]

now I'm even not able to restore snapshot via terminal.

I choose
sudo timeshift --restore --snapshot '2018-09-12_14-00-02' target /dev/sda1

then it asks to press enter

then it asks whether i want to reinstall grub
i choose yes
where? SDA or SDA1? I choose SDA

then it stays there forever...please wait while system resynch.....waited 2 times for 30 minutes each.
then i press alt+c and abort it.
then it says reinstalling grub
then system reboots.

tried this twice.

TIMESHIFT has completely failed. really too disappointed with this software.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: TimeShift can't restore snapshot, stuck on dry run.

Post by trytip »

i have not had a single fail and i restore my Arch Linux with sometimes a live mint xfce 18.3 sometimes my installed mint mate 17.3 or mint cinnamon 19

but i'm one of those people that always clicks on settings to see what's in there so i know where things were installed. i used to do that in windows also. every program i installed the first thing i did is check out the options. what do your settings say?
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

All set to defaults. Rsynch.
Exactly what used to work earlier.

I restored with GUI of timeshift once because modprobe was not able to set sel=2 for rtl8723be driver of my wifi (this solution used to work earlier) Low signal strength, you might be aware of that bug recently. Restore resolved it. No problem, timeshift worked fine that time.

Now, the signal strength issue occured again.
When I clicked restore (tried with all the restore points) it asked me the usual options, selecting drive and all. Then it got stuck on dry run with estimated time ???? Question mark and progress 0 (everything remained 0 forever). Then I did restore from terminal command.

Wifi issue occured again last night. I tried GUI way of restore, didn't work. Tried terminal way, this time it also failed. Terminal got stuck at PLEASE DO NOT INTERRUPT...remained there Everytime until I pressed alt+c and stopped it. Then it just reinstalled the grub and rebooted.

In morning today, I tried terminal restore again (after reinstalling timeshift and losing all my restore points) by creating a fresh restore point (creating restore point never had issues). But to no avail as terminal kept on getting stuck and system rebooted after every try.

Then, idk how. When the terminal was stuck on please do not interrupt for 2 minutes with no progress at all.
I pressed *Y* followed by *ENTER* key.
And it started to restore.
Restore was successful then it reinstalled grub normally with no errors, system rebooted. I checked the updates I made before restore were reversed. It was a success. But this is not normal. And GUI not working at all is a big issue at least for me who wants to restore with ease instead of having to go through a lot of hassle.

I typed a lot I know but to let reader know what exactly happened. This is all I know that happened, nothing more and nothing less.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i had my first timeshift fail the other day. i did a lot of tinkering around install cosmic repos which conflicted with kdeneon repos and after an upgrade which would make my mint tara 19 into cosmic 18.10 i guess updates fail.
not a big thing, for me i thought i will just open timeshift and restore my last snapshot but that didn't go well since now most of my system was updated including xorg and systemd. i was able to reboot but running timeshift in my current mint 19 failed still

the solution was to boot with a live mint and restore there , which returned me before all my tinkering. running timeshift in your current system works most of the time, but when the system was seriously altered, the one clean remedy is to restore using a live mint.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Sunday, November 11, 2018
Timeshift is a hog, it sucks up a Lot of disk space!

To combat the space problem I created a separate partition for the snapshots. I thought 10 GB would be OK considering the entire system is about 5.5 GB but it got full and I had to expand it, several times.

I did use it once to revert my edits, it was a long and slow process, and the result was kinda funky.
I ended up doing a fresh install (more time efficient)

I do appreciate the concept, but the implementation seems to lack "finesse".
I have it set to make a snapshot on Boot, but it seldom does that, manual updates seem to work, if drive space permits.

*** trivia:
Timeshift is still under active development, by the original developer.
https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift
it appears that Mint forked it several months ago, I think it is being neglected.
http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/back ... timeshift/
so much for "up to date" software
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i disabled auto and control it manually. timeshift uses as much space as i want it to use. you correct saying it need more work, for example it should have a confirmation when you click create or delete, sometimes you do hit buttons by mistake

ps: i just restored my mint19 after trying out some wine versions (so many wines in mint repos can't figure out which one is what and why we need so many) but after messing up wine i restored my system to the last snapshot, but this time i didn't use a live mint.

after a reboot wine was back how i had it. i then deleted all my snapshots with the file manager (3 of them manually created) and created a new snapshot. now i can go about my day and break some more stuff :mrgreen:

i have one snapshot the same size of my installation
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

well i had my first "stuck at dry run" had to open Terminal and type

Code: Select all

su
killall -9 timeshift-gtk
if you willing to try again without reboot, hope no files were started to be written over after you kill timeshift-gtk open system monitor and search for timeshift to see if any lingering processes remain, then start your restore again

Return to “Beginner Questions”