Help! Can't update software with update manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aletave

Re: Help! Can't update software with update manager

Post by aletave »

haha you know far more than I do
I will try know see if it works
aletave

Post by aletave »

ok have done them all. know what is next? to early to open the champagne?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

aletave wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31 pm ok have done them all. know what is next? to early to open the champagne?
Well, we *should* be good now. This should list only the -111 kernel and whatever the latest version you installed now (plus the few unversioned files caught in this search):

Code: Select all

dpkg-query -W -f '${Package}\n' | grep "^linux-"
and this shouldn't do anything now:

sudo apt-get install -f -y
If yes to both, reboot to your new kernel and hopefully your wifi works again as well.
aletave

Post by aletave »

It worked thanks you. However still cant see the wifi or bluetooth tethering or my mobile tethering. I have updated software with no problems
gm10

Post by gm10 »

aletave wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:30 pm It worked thanks you. However still cant see the wifi or bluetooth tethering or my mobile tethering. I have updated software with no problems
That's at least half good news. Finally I dare say for that kernel mess. ;)

As to the wifi, make sure you didn't put your laptop into airplane mode or otherwise turned the radio off. Run

rfkill
to check if the devices are present at all and if they're blocked or not. If Mint 17 has inxi, also this:

inxi -n
Also it's possible you had a driver module added to the kernel via ndiswrapper? The previous output seemed to indicate that, referring to the /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/make.log log file. Maybe something went wrong there. Try

sudo dkms autoinstall
sudo dkms status
and maybe check that log, or if you still know what driver you were using, just try to re-install it.
aletave

Post by aletave »

thanks
first output

Usage: rfkill [options] command
Options:
--version show version (0.5-1ubuntu1 (Ubuntu))
Commands:
help
event
list [IDENTIFIER]
block IDENTIFIER
unblock IDENTIFIER
where IDENTIFIER is the index no. of an rfkill switch or one of:
<idx> all wifi wlan bluetooth uwb ultrawideband wimax wwan gps fm nfc
aletave

Post by aletave »

second output

Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
mac: 68:f7:28:7e:70:e4
Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
aletave

Post by aletave »

third output

bash: /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/make.log: No such file or directory
aletave

Post by aletave »

and last one

virtualbox-guest, 4.3.36, 4.4.0-111-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)
virtualbox-guest, 4.3.36, 4.4.0-112-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)
virtualbox-guest, 4.3.36, 4.4.0-116-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)
virtualbox-guest, 4.3.36, 4.4.0-119-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)
virtualbox-guest, 4.3.36, 4.4.0-121-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)
virtualbox-guest, 4.3.36, 4.4.0-124-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)
virtualbox-guest, 4.3.36, 4.4.0-127-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

aletave wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:57 pm first output
Ok, I guess the Mint 17 version has mandatory parameters, so it would have been rfkill list.

However, seems your card's driver isn't getting loaded, anyway:
aletave wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:58 pm Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
We need some more details, please run:

uname -r
and

lspci -v | grep AR9565 -A10
and

lsmod | grep 211
and finally

dmesg | grep ath9k
You could also try loading the driver manually and see if that helps:

sudo modprobe ath9k
aletave wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:01 pm and last one
Guess we forgot to clean up the old dkms stuff. Whatever, might do it later for style points. :P
aletave

Post by aletave »

hey thanks

output for uname -r

4.4.0-111-generic
aletave

Post by aletave »

modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:556 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.4.0-111-generic/modules.dep.bin'
gm10

Post by gm10 »

aletave wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:36 pm hey thanks

output for uname -r

4.4.0-111-generic
Let me stop you right there. So you're still on the old kernel. You should have installed the latest kernel version in one of the previous posts. Did it not install? Check:

dpkg-query -W -f '${Package}\n' | grep "^linux-image-"
If it did, did you not reboot yet? If you didn't, do it now. Otherwise reboot again and try to switch kernels manually via GRUB menu (hold shift after BIOS screen, go Advanced options and select the new kernel). The new kernel should be the default option though unless you're in a multi-boot or something.

If you don't have the latest kernel installed, go Update Manager > View > Linux kernels and install the latest version yourself (let's celebrate that you don't need my terminal commands anymore :P). Reboot.

Check wifi with the latest kernel.
aletave

Post by aletave »

I'm really lost now as the kernel that the command you ask me to run showed 4.4.0-111-generic . I tried the hold shift after bio but nothing happened so whent to update manager and it shows 4.4.0-98-generic as the latest kernel available to download, but i remember that yesterday there were problems with kernel 4.4.0-124-generic and 127?
Any ideas?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

aletave wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:48 pm I'm really lost now as the kernel that the command you ask me to run showed 4.4.0-111-generic . I tried the hold shift after bio but nothing happened so whent to update manager and it shows 4.4.0-98-generic as the latest kernel available to download, but i remember that yesterday there were problems with kernel 4.4.0-124-generic and 127?
Any ideas?
Erm, no, that's too weird for me to understand as well. Maybe your selected mirror is dead? Go to Mint menu > Software Sources (or run mintsources) and select a different base mirror. Latest kernel for your system should be 4.4.0.134.114: https://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/linu ... lts-xenial
aletave

Post by aletave »

changed mirros 2 times still showing 98 as the latest
gm10

Post by gm10 »

aletave wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:05 pm changed mirros 2 times still showing 98 as the latest
Hmm. what does it say if you do

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get linux-image-extra-4.4.0-134-generic
Or just upgrade to Mint 19 already. :lol:
aletave

Post by aletave »

how do i upgrade to 19?
i updated as you suggested and it seemed to go ok i rebooted and cheked to see if it was fine but this is the output

linux-image-4.4.0-111-generic
linux-image-4.4.0-98-generic
linux-image-extra-4.4.0-111-generic
linux-image-extra-4.4.0-98-generic
aletave

Post by aletave »

tried again this is the ouput

sudo apt-get linux-image-extra-4.4.0-134-genericE: Invalid operation linux-image-extra-4.4.0-134-generic

I dispair :(
gm10

Post by gm10 »

aletave wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:19 pm tried again this is the ouput

sudo apt-get linux-image-extra-4.4.0-134-genericE: Invalid operation linux-image-extra-4.4.0-134-generic

I dispair :(
Sorry, that was my goof, like this:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-extra-4.4.0-134-generic
aletave wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:14 pm how do i upgrade to 19?
Ideally not at all, just clean install 19.

See here for a current anecdote (not a guide) on how to go the upgrade route: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=277741&p=1529413

So, yeah, read that and then agree with me on clean install please, I don't want to talk you through that mess of an upgrade. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”