can someone please help me uninstall a program[SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

can someone please help me uninstall a program[SOLVED]

Post by gatorade »

I'm having trouble with a program called pcloud.
I can't get it to work, and it doesn't uninstall when I tried to delete it.

I keep getting an error when I try to log in to my cloud account , saying that there's no internet connection, which is wrong since my internet is working fine.
I thought it was not able to connect using wifi, so I tried a wired connection also but that didn't work either.

My attempts to uninstall have been futile , each time I try to delete it looks like it's gone but reboot the computer and it's still there.

any suggestions i could try would be appreciated.

would I be able to install again over the old one, or what about updating it to get the connection issue resolved, would that work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
richyrich

Re: can someone please help me uninstall a program

Post by richyrich »

It would really help to know how you installed it (and from where) in the first place. Please elaborate.
rbmorse

Post by rbmorse »

It's an appimage. No idea of how to expunge one of those, though.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Appimage ? In Mint 17.3 ? . . . sheesh am I behind the times. :shock:
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

rbmorse wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:16 pm It's an appimage. No idea of how to expunge one of those, though.
Should just be a case of deleting the .appimage file and if at some point you've agreed to integrate it into the menu system deleting it's .desktop file from ~/.local/share/applications. Logout and log back in and it should be gone.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

The instructions from smurphos are almost correct. The pCloud program is an AppImage, but it does not have the .appimage extension. The name of the file is pcloud, all lower case, and you should be able to find its location and the related directories/files using locate pcloud.

The related directories/files I found are:
~/pCloudDrive
~/.pcloud
~/.config/pcloud
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

hi,

thanks for the replies.

I'll try the suggested solutions and post the results.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi gatorade,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I love the "pCloud" service with 10gb of free space and their excellent Linux Client software and I have never had any problems with it. I did not know they had an AppImage version now. I have always used their easy to install Linux deb file.

Like most software, there are usually various installation versions depending upon which version of Linux Mint you are using and you have to download and install the correct version. The older Linux Mint 17.x is based on Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty.

As of today, my currently installed pCloud client from their deb files is not working and I get the same error no internet access? So, I downloaded their new version from the link below which downloaded as just "pcloud" and had to be renamed to "pcloud.bin", given permission to execute, moved it into my "apps" folder underneath my home folder, and it is working. This is new too me.

pCloud - File Security Made Simple | pCloud
https://www.pcloud.com/how-to-install-p ... linux.html

*** How To Access Your pCloud Drive On Linux
https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... -on-linux/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

thanks for the help guys, I got it working again.

when I downloaded the newer version , I deleted the old one first from the downloads folder.
This was a step I didn't do before , when I was trying to uninstall, which is probably why it kept showing up each time I reboot the computer.

I ran the new one, and I'm not getting the "no internet connection" error anymore. :D
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3

Return to “Beginner Questions”