Reboot Hang/Freeze, Also possible MPD (Rythmbox/Clementine) Issue

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guguma

Reboot Hang/Freeze, Also possible MPD (Rythmbox/Clementine) Issue

Post by guguma »

Hi All,

I have meddled with Linux distros before, I am returning to Linux after a while and decided to give Mint a shot. I immediately ran into issues as expected :).

I am running Mint 19 Tara with Cinnamon, alongside a Windows 10 on a Dell XPS, with a shared FAT32 partition on a single SSD.

I am having 2 major issues:

1) My laptop hangs on reboot, this possibly has something to do with the Nvidia driver (nouveau), if I try to use the nvidia driver recommended in the driver manager this takes care of the reboot issue but then my fans go blasting at full speed which I really do not want to happen. Not sure how to proceed.

2) I tried running rythmbox and it crashed, it possibly crashed cinnamon or other system apps as well, as I had to do a hard reset. I installed Clementine music player instead and it did the same thing. I am not sure if this is a music player daemon issue, or a desktop environment issue.

I need to do some work on this computer and I still have not managed to get a stable barebones system, some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”