Hard disk full

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whois1230
Level 4
Level 4

Hard disk full

Post by whois1230 »

Hello, my hard disk is almost full and I don't know why. I used to have about 60GB of free space and now I have only 16. I backed up my data, which is 24.5GB, but that's still not enough to waste that much space. Is there any way to find out what's taking up so much space? I also deleted most of my timeshift snapshots, leaving only the last 3, but that didn't help either.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Hard disk full

Post by gm10 »

Mint Menu > Disk Usage Analyzer > Scan Filesystem to get an overview.

It's possible that your timeshift is misconfigured and taking a snapshot of more data than it should. Check the size of the /timeshift folder. Another common reason are runaway log files, typically some driver issue causing log spam. Logs are in /var/log.
ud6

Re: Hard disk full

Post by ud6 »

whois1230 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:41 am I also deleted most of my timeshift snapshots, leaving only the last 3, but that didn't help either.
There seems to be an issue with timeshift where deleted snapshots (even if you can't see them on the system and aren't in trash) still take up space. I ended up backing up my data and doing a complete reinstall. Don't use timeshoft, and if I did, would put snapshots into formatable partition or external drive.

However from this thread discussing this problem:
posting.php?mode=quote&f=47&p=1519771

we have..
AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:31 am use fstrim after you delete files

that will recover the disk space

I have that in a crontab job file that runs daily, keeps things under control
Reply was too late for me :lol: :lol:
pgmer6809
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Hard disk full - Timeshift is Recursive

Post by pgmer6809 »

Hello:
Your timeshift might be setup such that it is backing up its backups so that each snapshot is twice the size of the previous one.
do a search for post by pgmer6809. I recently posted re this issue.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6aa72b5246http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6aa72b5246

Return to “Beginner Questions”