Can't find why laptop HP 6720s is terribly slow?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Peki
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't find why laptop HP 6720s is terribly slow?

Post by Peki » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:14 am

@everybody Many thanks for your trying hard to help me.

However, I am currently issuing some "hardly to define and crazy issue" for me as novice linux user.

Before trying to apply your recommendations (especially thx-1138) as well as before that, many times during booting I have noticed smiies spamming my laptop screen, such like DDD:) or similar (almost the whole page). Therefore, I think it is some sort of virus/malware in BIOS because computer went crazy
on mint 19 v2 64bit xfce, it did not spotted that on mint 19 v2 64bit cinnamon (here was only slowly booting issue).

Therefore, I started wiping my ssd kingston 120 Gb many times. I am using BC wipe as well as DBAN. I did wiping 10 times by using different DBAN methods (DoD,PRNG2, GUTMAN...) as well as ATA erase with BC wipe (zero passes). However, smiles appeared again during booting BC WIPE and DBAN, but pressing shift discontinues its appearance and continues booting "wipping apps"... Whoa the purest rock'n'roll, something like "Jailhouse rock" :lol:

All in all, I hope your advices will help me, I will apply recommendations (@everybody @thx-1138). Before applying, I think I need to update BIOS and maybe anything else? Do you agree with me? I see hp.com offers bios F.0D version for Windows Vista, which is the same as I am having currently. But is there some other bios version for HP6720s to download? Or I should stick to F.0D?

Hoping not becoming telenovela issue... :mrgreen: Thanks again and many regards :)

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:22 am

Peki wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:14 am
Therefore, I started wiping my ssd kingston 120 Gb many times. I am using BC wipe as well as DBAN. I did wiping 10 times by using different DBAN methods (DoD,PRNG2, GUTMAN...) as well as ATA erase with BC wipe (zero passes).
Well, that's that SSD down the drain.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am

catweazel wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:22 am
Well, that's that SSD down the drain.
Agreed, if nothing else all those extra writes to all the cells will have shortened its useful life.

Simply overwriting it with a new Linux installation should be enough; even if any virii still exist on the rest of the disk, they should be harmless to a Linux system except maybe if you can get one to run under Wine etc..

As for the BIOS, you could make a note of all your settings & then clear the CMOS, which should get rid of anything which might be corrupt, then set it up again. See if that makes any difference.

I sometimes see brief screenfuls of garbage during boot, on some machines.

If you already have the latest BIOS version, probably no need to change it. Although it says "for Vista" it actually doesn't matter what OS gets installed, as far as I'm aware, just that flashing the BIOS EEPROM usually requires Windows or a DOS environment. A live environment will probably do for this, such as BartPE.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

vansloneker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vansloneker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:06 am

I don't get it, do you say smilies are spamming your screen? Like :D :) :( :o ? :?: :?: :?:
Is it possible for you to take an image and show us what is happening?
Unless stated otherwise Mint 18.3-64 XFCE

Peki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peki » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:33 am

I cannot update, 4.8MB because it is too large file, sorry friend :(

vansloneker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vansloneker » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:07 am

Upload it to postimage.org and copy and paste the forum link in your reply.

Peki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peki » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:37 am

https://postimg.cc/gallery/3e7xqr836/

wdc 250 Gb hdd - smilies appears during dban boot

kingston 120 Gb ssd - also appear during dban boot

When booting dban, these "wonderful" and "gorgeous" smiies appear (see printscreen). I stress out that each drive was SATA attached and the two drive booted separately (one drive attached, but second drive did not and vice versa).

What do you propose my friends? CMOS or BIOS reinstal (Win Vista version)?

Greetings and tnx ;)

vansloneker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vansloneker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:57 pm

It's not a virus I can tell you for sure.

vansloneker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vansloneker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:33 am

Last reply was a bit short while I was busy.

The image you showed is from my point of view this:
it is the output from starting the CD or USB. I think the output is garbage caused by a problem in the system.
I think there is a hardware problem in your laptop that can not be resolved within terms of reasonable amount of time and money to invest. Maybe replacing the mainboard will solve the issue, but replacing the mainboard well outweighs the value of the laptop.

I conclude this because we tried anything possible considering the software you can run on the machine and it does not bring the final solution. Instead, your problem seem to get worse, as the image shows.
Maybe I am wrong, and I could only wish I am, and your laptop could be fixed easily but I don't see it and the other members of the forum who contributed also don't see it.
What I can tell for sure is we all know a little bit more about computers as you do, as the actions you performed on your SSD clearly show.

I hope you did not try to boot Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe your SSD again as this is totally useless as pointed out by catweazel and BG405. If -and with your disk there isn't- there should be a problem with the disk it is in a part of the disk not reached by the wiping programs. The wiping programs all do the same, overwrite the area that is used by Operating Systems with zero's or garbage. You can wipe an SSD once if you sell it or give it away and it will be virtually impossible for any normal individual to trace back any useful data from it.

Imagine a hard disk as a storage room with shelves and compartments. A table on the disk keeps track of what comes in, and where it is put. When something is deleted, the occupied space is returned to the list as free. Whenever something new comes in on any part of the storage, what was there simply disappears and is gone. The wiping programs put a something on any spot in the storage just for sure that nothing from the previous is left. If you repeat a wipe you replace nothing with nothing.

An SSD is made of electronic cells that can be rewritten a limited number of times. Therefore the lifetime of a SSD is limited by the number of writes. If you write the full disk of 120GB ten times with zeros and garbage you have used 1.2TB of the lifetime of the disk, and achieved nothing.
Luckily, the manufacturers are conservative about the life expectations of the SSDs and they will last longer than a few TB's but it's good practice not to waste gigs on a SSD.

Peki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peki » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:34 am

Thanks a lot! This laptop is obviously useless for internet and any serious task. Maybe I can use it for typing documents with word or power point... It is bought in 2008 and 10 years of good service obviously ended...

Now I have good chances of obtaining laptop Lenovo V310-15IKB. Howeber, Kaby lake graphic issue (sudden and laptop freezing) makes it unusable for Ubuntu, Mint etc. However, it can be used for Debian (LDME 3). Does anyone can confirm me that freezeng has overcame by installing LDME3?

vansloneker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vansloneker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:26 pm

My pleasure! Many laptops don't make it to ten years or more.
Debian is a bit harder for a newbie as Mint is. I tried LDME but preferred Mint.
I don't know about the graphic issues, can't help with that.

Peki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peki » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Tnx friend a lot! Maybe somebody else has information...?

jaymot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jaymot » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:01 am

1. It sounds like your 2GiB memory module is bad. I'm not sure at this point if it would even be worth it to buy another one for this machine until you determine if there's anything else wrong with it first.

2. If you have a Windows installation disk around I suggest installing Windows on it again, just temporarily, and measure the boot time and how long it takes to open applications and compare those times to Linux Mint 19.

3. If Windows is faster then the issue may be with Mint 19 and/or Cinnamon vs. that hardware. I would suggest going back to 18.3 with a lighter-weight window manager like Mate or Xfce. If you can get that running I would then definitely install an older kernel as has been suggested. The newer kernels are probably optimized for Intel Core i5 CPUs and above, and of course AMD 64-bit CPUs. You need one that still supports your Core2.

4. You might even want to look into one of the lightweight Linux distributions meant to run well on older hardware, such as Puppy Linux, Linux Lite, Lubuntu or LXLE. Those may be "underkill" for your system as by older hardware they're talking about systems as old as Pentium IIIs with 512MiB of RAM but they should be really fast on that laptop of yours, if there isn't something the matter with it. On the other hand if you're planning to buy that Lenovo you metioned, you may want to leave Windows on the HP (if Windows runs OK on it) for those few times that you may need to do something that requires a pure Windows machine.

5. If Windows and/or some older or lighter version of Linux runs OK, then you might want to go shopping for a new 2MiB memory unit. Make sure it's compatible with your specific brand and model of laptop though, because I remember that HPs and Compaqs were very fussy about memory. Also make sure it's the same speed as the 1GiB module you have.

6. See also this thread from two years ago:
viewtopic.php?t=216622

Good luck.
Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon, Asus Zenbook UX303UB, 12GiB 1.6GHz DDR3 RAM, 1TiB HD, Intel Skylake & GeForce 940M GPUs, Intel Core i7 mobile CPU

Peki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peki » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:39 am

Works fine hp6720s with Windows Vista. It can be utilized for jobs can only be done by Win PCs but withous internet.

Or 17.3 or 18.3 Mate 64bit with appropriate kernel regression will be installed.

Thnx everybody wishing you successful computing... 😉

Return to “Newbie Questions”